MP3 ECU in Protege5

marcksavoie

:
Mazda Protege5 2002
Hi!

I might have the chance to put an MP3 ECU in my Protege5. I know I will have to fill up with high octane gaz, but is there anything else to know about this ECU swap? I read that there is something about VTCS (or something like that). What is this exactly and what can I do about it??

Thanks,

Marck

You can get rid of your VTCS system, which opens up the airflow quite a bit, if you're feeling adventurous... You CAN leave it, but MP3's never had it, and the P5 won't know what to do with it if it has the MP3 ECU, so it'll never be of any benefit to you. Here's a plug for my how-to page on that, if you were interested.

http://flatblack.somethingsomething.org/p5/porting/

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'll have a look at it. Maybe it will be answered when I read your page, but what VTCS does actually? Why the mp3 don't have it and the P5 does. Is there any advantage to have it or not??

Thanks!

I just read the pages and is VERY interesting!! Thanks for posting great articles like this one! Very helpfull!!!!

Marck

No problem. =) I hope it helps you out! I'm in the process of rewriting it now, actually, and am going to add some diagrams and information about the various systems on the Protege's.

Lift the carpet on the passenger side foot-well, you will see a metal plate with 4 10mm nuts holding it down. Unbolt that metal plate and the ecu is bolted to the opposite side, you will cut your self on the edges of the plate.
Also nice job on bumping a thread from 2005.

You can get rid of your VTCS system, which opens up the airflow quite a bit, if you're feeling adventurous... You CAN leave it, but MP3's never had it, and the P5 won't know what to do with it if it has the MP3 ECU, so it'll never be of any benefit to you. Here's a plug for my how-to page on that, if you were interested.

http://flatblack.somethingsomething.org/p5/porting/

Enjoy!

i need to know how to instal this also and the link doesnt wrk..any1? thanks!!

What's The Point? Isn't The Mp3 A Slower Car Than The P5? Sorry For All The Caps. My phone Must Think Its Funny

What's The Point? Isn't The Mp3 A Slower Car Than The P5? Sorry For All The Caps. My phone Must Think Its Funny

Old post, but no one replied to this comment. Very interested in knowing more about this. Looking to add some power to my P5. If it is a upgrade, is there a certain year ECU I should be looking for?

No one answered these yet, so I will :)

Old post, but no one replied to this comment. Very interested in knowing more about this. Looking to add some power to my P5. If it is a upgrade, is there a certain year ECU I should be looking for?

The MP3 had a smooth power band and ~5HP more. Albeit, you won't see the same numbers unless you have the exhaust from the MP3 as well.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123746537-FS-MP3-ECU-150-shipping

Back