Moving Across the Country - from Indy to Seattle

Fraya713

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I'm moving from Indianapolis, Indiana to Seattle, Washington and will basically be loading my MP5 with as much as I can fit.

My dad has expressed worry about it getting through the mountains along with the weight of packing it up with all my crap and it destroying my transmission.
I've also heard that certain vehicles may have trouble getting through the mountains because of the high elevation.

Has anyone traveled across country, through the Rockies with all their stuff and should I have concerned about the above or other things I have not thought about?

I'll basically load it up with a roof cargo box, whatever I can fit in the backseat and I will also be adding a Hidden Hitch with a hitch-bike rack for a bike.

Thanks for any advice for this trip!

I cant answer your question but good luck in Seattle, I have friends there and just visited last month. Its awesome out there, I love it!

Well, your transmission should be fine.
If you have an auto tranny, it will downshift when it needs to. If you have a manual tranny, you'll want to downshift when your car can't manage a steep hill with the weight of your cargo. When it gets really difficult for your car, you'll find that you are driving in a lower gear at higher RPMs at a slower MPH rate in order to climb the mountains, but your car can handle that. The only major issue you would face is blowing a head gasket, because you'll be driving in a higher RPM for longer periods of time. I had a sub-compact, packed with all my belongings and was driving through the Appalachians. I found myself maxed out at 55 MPH while in fourth gear. If I went up fifth gear, I would go even slower. Gas economy will be lower because you'll be driving in higher RPMs up the hill. Make sure you have enough and don't play Russian roulette with the gas gauge.

As far as power...you'll be fine...I have family in Denver and used to go out there almost every winter for a snowboarding trip...A rental I got one year was a 2003 Protege ES, so same engine and everything...pack 5 people in it with all of our gear in the trunk and roof full of skis and boards...for a 2 hour drive on I-70 through summit county, and onto the western side to reach Vail...You'll notice the engine is far from strong, but i had no problem keeping 60+ mph up the mountains with all those people...and it was even an auto...just don't be afraid to floor it when you have to haha.

it did it like a champ...I'm not sure of what route you'll take through the Rockies, but I-70 through that area is some of the highest 'interstate' roads in the country...and you reach over 11,000 feet in places...I took the same car up to Mount Evans that week too, which is the highest paved road in the world i believe, or used to be...at 14,000+ feet...only issues on that were drifting snow, but we still made it...

for down hill areas, just use the gear box...and DON'T ride the brakes...The interstates through those mountains are pretty smart, you're not going to run into ridiculous grades up or down hill...so its not how steep anything is...its just the slight up or down grade will last for 25 miles sometimes...pump brakes when you have to, use engine braking the rest of the time...you'll be fine...

if you head north through Wyoming, you won't come anywhere near those elevations...so power wise, you'll be even better...the bigger problem is going to be weather, especially this time of year...The west has the best snow removal in the country, but they'll get hit with storms that can dump 3 to 4 inches of snow an hour...and no P5 is going to handle that, so you just need to be very cautious in those areas...and wait storms out at lower elevations if it comes to that...

I'm not trying to sound like a parent...but just be smart about it, i've been stuck a few times too because of freak storms...You'll be in and out of cell phone coverage regularly...so call people every chance you get and give them info on where you are...You can tell them approximately when you'll call again, and if you don't, they already will have a great idea of roughly where you are...A good gps system NOT from a cell phone is priceless, especially a newer one with a good list of poi's...makes it very easy to find a hotel, food, or gas literally in the middle of nowhere...Also pack a big old bag of food and water, and i'm sure you'll have blankets and crap like that for the move anyway...not trying to freak you out, but that could save your life if you break down at high elevations...

honestly...the biggest issue you're going to face is the boredom in the first day...Indy to the rockies...takes...for...ever...

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone!
Installshield 2, that is actually great information. I've never taken a trip more than 3 hours, so this is a first for me.
My car is an automatic and it has anti-lock brakes (not sure if that matters..)

My dad was pushing me to just get a U-Haul, but at more than $1000 just to rent the thing, plus the gas it'd take, I basically told him "f that!" in a nicer way :D
He was the one concerned about the weight of all my cargo, plus it being a small little front wheel drive engine.

The only real heavy stuff I'm fitting is an IKEA bed and desk (basically particle board) - it's not quality wood or anything, just takes a lot of space.. leaving the box spring at home because it won't fit, but everything else I can break down and make it compact.

As far as the weather, well that's out of my hands and I just gotta hope for the best, but I did get my yearly dose of driving in the snow after it dumped a good 6 inches in only a few hours and found out quickly that my car can not drive in 3+ inches of snow :p

Thanks for the info, if you have more information or more first hand experience, feel free to post it up! I appreciate the help guys!

Good luck on the drive, I don't think it should be a big problem. Oh, and welcome to Seattle, I'm a bit north :) Remember to bring your raincoats

Is ditch the bed and buy another at IKEA in Renton. Carry chains and a good tool kit. Make sure your spair, jack and log wrench are in shape.

Thanks Everyone!
Installshield 2, that is actually great information. I've never taken a trip more than 3 hours, so this is a first for me.
My car is an automatic and it has anti-lock brakes (not sure if that matters..)

My dad was pushing me to just get a U-Haul, but at more than $1000 just to rent the thing, plus the gas it'd take, I basically told him "f that!" in a nicer way :D
He was the one concerned about the weight of all my cargo, plus it being a small little front wheel drive engine.

The only real heavy stuff I'm fitting is an IKEA bed and desk (basically particle board) - it's not quality wood or anything, just takes a lot of space.. leaving the box spring at home because it won't fit, but everything else I can break down and make it compact.

As far as the weather, well that's out of my hands and I just gotta hope for the best, but I did get my yearly dose of driving in the snow after it dumped a good 6 inches in only a few hours and found out quickly that my car can not drive in 3+ inches of snow :p

Thanks for the info, if you have more information or more first hand experience, feel free to post it up! I appreciate the help guys!

No problem, man.

I've had 6 half kegs, and a couple cases in my p5 in college (don't ask)...the interior was pretty much out of space for air, let alone me...and it still got around...granted i didn't take a 2500 mile road trip, but i also doubt you'll have that much weight if the heaviest is going to be that desk and bed...

Take your car to a good shop before the drive...have the brakes and trans-axle serviced, and a fresh oil change regardless of when the last one was performed would not be a bad idea...also going over the cooling system, especially making sure the radiator cap is in perfect shape...as big changes in elevation can do all kinds of funny things to a pressurized cooling system if everything isn't up to par...

As far as the snow...yeah, you can't really do anything about it until you're there...you will probably be lucky, and see barely any...just stick to normal highways this time of year, avoid any scenic stuff...as the regular roads will be scenic enough anyway compared to the first half of the drive haha. Its good, though, that you've been around in some snow already...No joke, it can go from crystal clear skies to legit blizzards in 10 minutes in those mountain ranges...and the locals are so used to it, they won't even mention it...i've heard radio adviseries saying 'we may get some snow this afternoon'...and when they say 'some snow'...its usually more than Indy will get in a full season...From Colorado Rockies and north; those ranges can average over 350 inches of snow a year, with spots reaching nearly 500"...that breaks down to very frequent storms dropping 2 feet or more...so there is NOTHING wrong with pulling over and waiting it out, turning around for a day, or delaying departure from a hotel or something for a few hours if you're lucky enough to know its coming...

but again, i wouldn't worry about your car...if you have it checked over by someone that knows what they are doing before you leave...no question it'll make it fine...

Last edited:
Good luck on the drive, I don't think it should be a big problem. Oh, and welcome to Seattle, I'm a bit north :) Remember to bring your raincoats
Haha thanks! We're looking at East Seattle - Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond area :D

Is ditch the bed and buy another at IKEA in Renton. Carry chains and a good tool kit. Make sure your spair, jack and log wrench are in shape.
I would, but I literally will have enough money for 6 months of rent before I'm bankrupt.. getting a job is the goal.. if not, I start school in September so loans will have to work.. ;)
Good tips though, I'll make sure to check for all of that stuff.

Does anyone have any good opinions on "All-Season" or snow tires? I've read about the MP5 being able to use different sizes of tires as well, but which size is the best for snow/bad weather? I'm basically looking for the best tire in crappy weather. Handling is secondary to it being able to drive well in bad weather since I'm not racing this thing or taking turns at high speeds..

Thanks all!

Skinnier tires work better in snow like 175-195. I know 225 snow tires with LSD more of packs it instead of slicing through it

Skinnier tires work better in snow like 175-195. I know 225 snow tires with LSD more of packs it instead of slicing through it
Perfect, what size tires are already on MP5's?
Can anyone comment about a true and tested tire within the 175-195 range?

Welcome to the Great Northwest!

I am from Wenatchee Washington but I live in Bellingham, WA now.

To get from one to the other, you must go over Stevens Pass or Snoqualmie and Blewett Passes which during the winter usually have snowwy conditions.

When I moved to Bellingham, I moved everything I owned and needed in my P5 and made the trip, which is only about 180 miles. My P5 did completely fine going over the passes and did not have any issues with weight or high elevation.

As far as worrying about snow/ice in the Northwest, as long as there isn't any big snow storms going on when you're rolling through, you should be totally fine. Buy a set of chains just in case, but they keep the roads in pretty good condition and all of the passes have regular updates/webcams so you can check on them.

Perfect, what size tires are already on MP5's?
Can anyone comment about a true and tested tire within the 175-195 range?

I had some Pirelli snow 'sport' something others when i bought my car in 2002...it was late season, so i didn't get to try them out all that much until the following year...they were 205/50's, as that was the only comparable size available...and they were far from great, didn't notice a whole lot of difference over those or the stock P5 all seasons...

That was the only set of snow tires i ever bought for this car though...and i still have them with some ok tread left, but i rarely use the p5 in the winter anyway...If you're looking to buy some winter tires, i'd avoid anything talking about 'sport' stuff...I fell for the gimmick of a winter tire that was supposed to work great on dry pavement too...and be very quiet...sort of defeated the purpose, as that came at the cost of barely working in the snow...

Tirerack has great reviews of the different winter tire types...and fast shipping, so if you're in a hurry to get some...i'd start there...

Consider getting a set of chains and practice putting them on/taking them off before you leave ;)
1x for leaving the desk and bed and just buying used/cheap there...

Does anyone know if they have smog legislation in Seattle? It being Seattle, I would assume so, but they don't have that in Indy and I was wondering what is involved with that and what I should watch out for..

Yup. Every other year till after your vehicle is 4 years old (I believe). It ends when its 20. In Pierce County (south of Seattle) its 15 bucks and you get two trys. If it doesn't pass you can get a waiver for the cycle by showing you had emissions work done by a certified shop. I think it has to be a couple hundred bucks. It's all connected to your registration so if your address is in a area that doesn't require it you don't have to get it. If you do then you can't buy tabs till you pass or have the waiver.

Back