Mountain Biking

TXMazdaSpeeder

T is for Turbo
:
2003 Black Mica MSP #566
I searched but failed in finding a thread on this so if one already exists I do apoligize. That being said..... After trading in the MSP on my Camaro and losing my ass in mods on the MSP, I decided to pick up another hobby so I wouldnt spend so much money on the Camaro. I used to mountain bike alot with my uncle on a POS coleman hardtail so I decided to by myself a nice bike. I went out end of 2011 and bought a 2010 Giant Yukon FX. 4 inch travel full suspension, mechanical disc brakes on both ends. It came with a very entry level front fork (2010 model Rock Shox Dart 2). So I have a 2012 model X-Fusion Velvet RL 100mm fork ordered for it. Im excited as hell to get it in. Otherwise all ive done is replace the factory Giant SXC-2 wheelset and Kenda Nevegal tires with Geax Saguaro tires, Pure XCR ano blue rims, Pure XCR ano blue hubs, DT swiss spokes, and Bontrager tubeless kits with Stan's. Also added a set of Giant XC grips with ano blue lock collars.

525545_3335329458100_488136488_n.jpg

Also bought my wife a 2012 Giant Yukon FX, the SR Suntour fork on it sucks donkey nuts so it'll be getting a Rock Shox XC30TK put on it here shortly as she doesnt want to spend the $500 I did on the X-Fusion.

561933_10150760557724788_2076542579_n.jpg

Yeah, I got more than a few. 12 to be exact, lol. Here's a few..........

1third.jpg

As far as the hobby to save money on.....nice try but the mod bug is everywhere and just like teh cars, if you don't do all your own wrenching and are not savvy about where you score your parts it'll be same kind of money pit. At least you get beneficial exercise with this hobby though. It's a hobby that can become a lifestyle once addicted too. Been addicted again for last 22 yrs. Enjoy!

I agree, mountain biking is super addicting, especially when your legs finally come in and you can do longer rides. I'm in north GA and the few times I can get out these days I'm usually at Chicopee Woods. I also ride at DuPont alot since my wifes parents live about 5 minutes away. Amazing trails out there!

I enjoy mountain biking as well. I have a Gary Fisher Tarpon. Sadly, I haven't been able to ride in about 2 years, but I stay in shape.

I live near Raleigh, NC, and there are a few trails around.

Good stuff! I'm currently riding a Redline Monocog 29er, full rigid. It's a bit to get used to, but I love the bike.

I will be getting a 29er of some sort. Still mulling over carbon fiber front suspension or non-carbon full suspension.........Here's a blast from the past - 1995 Trek Y-22 Carbon full suspension still running Fox Alps4 rr shock, updated to full Deore 9 speed group, Hayes front disc/Deore rr V since no disc posts, Rockshox Tora 32 with remote lockout & firm ride kit, Nashbar wirless computer, Ourys, WTB velociraptor tires, Deore disc wheelset and WTB Speed V seat. Resurrected and rides all plush and lovely for my needs. Pic from Thanksgiving wknd camping at Bluff Creek Ranch.

warda_19.jpg

One of the GoPro videos of the last bit of trail before getting back to campsite. Not all X games level s*** but hey I'm 52 and havin just as much fun minus shredding any more body parts so gimme a break, lol.....................

http://youtu.be/-aewxC2jDSo

Last edited:
Well, 29er didn't end up being my next bike. Scored a Giant NRS XTC Pro Series FS frame so I gave it full XT drivetrain, Avid Mech discs, WTB Exiwolfs, Kore stem, Mavic XT disc wheelset, Reba 100mm Team fork, WTB Speed V seat, Jagwire cabling, Oury grips, etc etc etc. Got 2 frame pivot rebuild kits coming that replace factory bushings with sealed bearings and also have an upgrade o-ring kit for the rr shock so this one will be around for awhile..................

NRS_nbush.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my mountain bike, Cannondale F6. I've put a lefty, Avid BB7s, and mavic wheels on it. Hopefully I can get a better pic later, this is the only one I have on hand in it's current form
bikefront.jpg

i ride around rarely on the trails @ alum creek here in central ohio, and i've gone down like one trail in Lake Hope State park that was pretty fun.
Somewhere in new york me and my dad chanced upon some random park with some canal stuff that you could ride your bike around in, so we did... that was pretty fun yo.
...Not really "mountain" biking... just trail riding- still pretty fun though, but they stole my dad and my sisters bikes so we're down a couple for the time.
of course... in the time that i could be mountain biking, i prefer to go hiking. Hiking is where it's at yo. dope.

There's a nice set of trails in Mohican, near the Mohican Adventures campground. The first mile is all up hill, but the remaining 20 are awesome.

the trail we went on at lake hope was all down hill: from the campsite to the lake, then i have no idea how you get back to your campsite... but it was pretty cool. You let off the brakes and you're immediately flyin' through the woods.
Mohican and clear fork gorge are awesome in general, but i didn't know they had mtn. bike trails out there...
...to bad i can't put bikes on my protege -_-

No pics, but I have a few videos of me riding in Wissahickon, Philadelphia, PA.
Here is my last trail ride since getting a new job. I can't ride until around march now because I am on a probationary period at work and if I get hurt I can be fired easily (public service)/

I have a GT Karakoram 2.0 29er. Entry level with no big upgrades. I want to get an air fork on it at some point and lighter wheels, but the car and insurance payments put a halt on that very quickly.

I was just talking with a friend of mine... we haven't hit the trails at all this year. I've spent more time on my roadie than I did on my 29er. Which wasn't much at all. LOL.

Back