Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year Contender: 2013 Mazda CX-5

Yes, kind of a non-event. I predict Escape will win.

How so?? Former MT Sport Utility of the year winners:

2012 Land Rover Evoque
2011 Porsche Cayenne
2010 Subaru Outback
2009 Subaru Forester
2008 Mazda Cx-9
2007 Mercedes Benz GL4
2006 Nissan Xterra

Yes, non-event, a snoozer of a list (other than Evoque or CX-9 possibly), good for increasing advertising revenue, zzzzzzzzz.

btw, what's a Mercedes Benz GL4? (Edit - I assume GL450, certainly a good example of a mediocre pick made in Alabama I think)

Last edited:
There is a link to a video on the MT site that shows the current contenders and some of the initial testing. It then reveals the cars that were cut after round 1. Those cut include the CX-5 and CR-V. The reason? They are similar to the Escape, but the Escape is better.

There was an Escape on the freeway behind me today and I'd have to say that it's not my cup of tea. It's just ugly (just my unsolicited opinion), as are some of the colors they have available. I still smile when I walk out to the parking lot and see my CX-5, plus the few others I have seen.

... I'd have to say that it's not my cup of tea. It's just ugly (just my unsolicited opinion)....
Thanks for the chuckle :) It is not very attractive looking - adding my 2 cents here.. although I did like the way it was inside, I thought seats were comfortable. But to walk out of the car and see the ugly exterior.. yeah not my cup of tea either! ;)

I dont like the front of the escape or the interior but the rest of it is nice. Liking 40% of a vehicle isnt enough for me though.

I like the Escape styling and it drives well too.

There was an Escape on the freeway behind me today and I'd have to say that it's not my cup of tea. It's just ugly (just my unsolicited opinion), as are some of the colors they have available. I still smile when I walk out to the parking lot and see my CX-5, plus the few others I have seen.

Agreed. The escape by comparison is ugly with its frowning maw. I didn't even test drive it for that reason. I don't see the curb appeal. I look at the cx5 and see it has lots of potential to gather more curb appeal and demand and additional over the shoulder glance on the way into the store/restaurant. Loose the wheel gap with some nice wheels spaced for a nice stance with tinted windows and it would be downright sexy for an cuv.

I can't wait for the final article to see their thoughts on the cx-5. I am sure being so underpowered was a big factor. Altough it's not everything. They did also eliminate the RDX.

Escape design is one that will leave people saying WTF were we thinking in about 5-10 years. CX-5 design is classy and timeless. It is beautiful and one of the all around best looking vehicles on the market today. I guess if you want to drive around something that looks like a stubbed big toe or a retarded walrus, nab an Escape.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear...trend_suv_of_the_year_contenders/viewall.html

On the Escape:

"
Nobody loves the (better-than-nothing) manual-shifting toggle switch..."

"While the 2.0-liter AWD version scampered right up our rutted and sandy hill, the FWD 1.6 struggled more than other two-wheelers..."

"rattled and shook violently over bumps. "The NVH was shocking, as if body panels were about to start popping off..."

"
Where the Escape really fell down was in the efficiency and value categories. In our real-world looping, the tidy Escapes earned the fourth- and sixth-best fuel economy ratings of 17.7 and 16.2 mpg for the 1.6 and 2.0, respectively... With a 15.1-gallon tank and an overly conservative gauge, the Escapes were begging for fuel long before the other contenders. It seems EcoBoost is an either/or proposition.."

39% of the readers picked the CX-5 (more than twice the votes than anything else), 15% picked the Escape.

And yet they picked the Escape over the CX-5 as "clearly" superior? Uhm, OK. They also mention that, "Both CUVs are based on the same platform." Really? I thought the CX-5 was all-Mazda?

Back