Motor Trend Comparison: Three-Row Crossover SUVs

However, the 2nd row of CX9 has too much knee room if you push the seat all the way back. With this, the 3rd knee room is very limited.
You should adjust the 2nd row knee room comparable to Highlander, than compare the 3rd knee room. Then, you will see that CX9
actually have more knee room at 3rd row.

We only ocassionally use the 3rd row, so most of the times, the 2nd row seats are pushed all the way back. I guess im just so used to the CX9's size now, but everytime someone gets a ride with us, they always mention how much space is in the 2nd row.

ANd i agree with what you've said. Moving the 2nd row forward makes the 3rd row MUCH more enjoyable. Im not that tall so knee room in the 3rd row even with the 2nd row all the way back isn't really a problem. its just theres not much room to put your feet :p For some reason, i actually think apart from the drivers seat, the 3rd row is more comfortable than the 2nd.

Although the Kluger/Highlander is much smaller in everyway, the interior seems to be bigger or have a 'roomier' feel. I've come to the conclusion that its this way because:
1) the kluger doesn't have the high centre console that the CX9 has, and feels far less sporty and has less of a cockpit feel. Actually having driven the cx9, i really like the cossetting cockpit feel, and whenever i drive a car with a more open plan layout, i feel a bit strange. A bit like im driving a bus or something.

2) the CX9 has MUCH thicker doors. if you take a cross section of the CX9 doors, its looks like from one side to the other, its almost about 20-25cm thick!! The kluger has much flatter doors, which i guess gives the impression of more interior room.

3) the cx9s DLO area is more slanted inwards than the boxy Kluger.

the headroom of cx-9 is quite limited, IMHO.

the sliding and folding second-row bench in Highlander is really nice, but the 3rd row...

I agree that the Highlander cockpit is more like a bus. And regarding Highlander, seats are almost completely flat with no bolster. Xenon lights? forget about it! Tiny infant 3rd row, thin doors, so why would anyone buy one? Brand loyalty, Minivan mentality meets sporty...oh but wait, that would be the Sequoia. Oh wait, isn't the Sequoia a full frame? So a Highlander screams "I don't have the money for a Sequoia, and I can't stray from Toyota, and my Highlander is sporty, and I can afford it over the Rav4, but I know I'm being raped paying 40k for a loaded Highlander, oh well, I'm a sucker."

So a Highlander screams "I don't have the money for a Sequoia, and I can't stray from Toyota, and my Highlander is sporty, and I can afford it over the Rav4, but I know I'm being raped paying 40k for a loaded Highlander, oh well, I'm a sucker."

Something tells me that Toyota won't be looking to hire you as their new marketing executive! (headshake

Just last week before I read the Motor Trend comparison, I was driving on the freeway and thought "this CX-9 handles so well for such size and it's so quiet at 75 mph, the steering is so crisp and feedback is very balanced..." "The interior is very tastful and the fit and finish is also good." All the goods outshine the bads and I really start to appreciate it.

I am indeed a proud owner of such a wonderful SUV.

That is not to say the CX-9 is perfect, I think a few things need to improve: The very unfriendly navigation system as mentioned in the comparo, the lack of interior storage room, subpar gas mileage, automatic headlight sensors, some of my front passengers bang their head to the A-pillar due to its stylish shape, and my biggest gripe is the brake pedal actuation (two stages) feeling.

If only Mazda can keep the price right like our CX-9 and improve the short list of shortcomings. This car is going to be hard to beat in many years to come in the mid-size SUV/CUV catagory.

Last edited:
Actually, CX9 just had the best ever month in March in term of sales.
More 3600 CX9s were sold, though still 1/3 of Pilots or Highlanders.

0% financing is nothing new for Mazda. They have that very often for the past few years.
CX9s sales numbers used to be around 1500 to 2200 on monthly basis.
i.e. about 1/4 of Pilots or Highlanders. Now it is approaching 1/3. That is a small progress, I guess.

It was nice to see the CX-9 come out on top, we have a test drive finally scheduled for tmrw so we are excited to see how the vehicle is...

YeH the real magic of the cx9 is when you push it. As the article says it really changes personality when you push it. I drive mine in manual mode and it's fun.

Back