Motor Mounts

mp3&v-stars

:
2001 Mazda MP3
I think this has already been answered but who makes the better motor mount SLS PERFORMANCE or **********? I've read up some on these mounts from both places but can not decide. I really need the rear mount on the firewall replaced soon. SLS doesn't have one but SU does. I don't really want to mix and match the mounts but I would like to replace them all at once. Please any feed-back would be helpful.
Thanks
J

mp3&v-stars said:
I think this has already been answered but who makes the better motor mount SLS PERFORMANCE or **********? I've read up some on these mounts from both places but can not decide. I really need the rear mount on the firewall replaced soon. SLS doesn't have one but SU does. I don't really want to mix and match the mounts but I would like to replace them all at once. Please any feed-back would be helpful.
Thanks
J

hmmmmmm
from my experience i'd say get a stock rear mm and put poly inserts, will be much more like stock and be stronger cuz anyother aftermarket will drive you crazy unless you have experince.
As far as front mm any one will do, this is up to you.

Most people on here use the AWR mounts. I looked at SU the other day, and they look nicer, but they're much more expensive, and don't give you the options that AWR does. AWR has 3 different stiffnesses to choose from. I have an 88 durometer front and I think 95 for the rear. The rear made a HUGE difference with vibrations inside the cab.

mgs_freak said:
Most people on here use the AWR mounts. I looked at SU the other day, and they look nicer, but they're much more expensive, and don't give you the options that AWR does. AWR has 3 different stiffnesses to choose from. I have an 88 durometer front and I think 95 for the rear. The rear made a HUGE difference with vibrations inside the cab.

You do mean that it caused way more vibration eh? People seem to say that it's the rear mount that causes most of the vibration, would a 70 (or is it 77) durometer mount in the back be better you think?

JoeManNorth said:
You do mean that it caused way more vibration eh? People seem to say that it's the rear mount that causes most of the vibration, would a 70 (or is it 77) durometer mount in the back be better you think?

Yeah, my vibrations increased a little with the front mount, but it was definately tolerable. When I installed the rear is when the vibrations REALLY increased. When the engine is cold (running 1100-1200rpms at idle) the resonance almost makes my ears hurt. But when you get the revs up, it goes away mostly. I'm happy with the performance over stock, so I'm leaving it for now to see if it'll break in a little.

That's what another guy and I are trying to figure out. He just had all the mounts replaced with AWR 88's and also upgraded clutch/light flywheel. He's having a problem with the vibrations too.

Why is SU's name being covered up? About the rear mount is AWR the best out there I really don't like the idea of using inserts with stock mounts. My engine is really rocking and is making the gears and taking of sloppy. I know my rear mount is cracked on three places. Would changing the front mount solve this problem or do I need the back?
What is the advantage of replacing the left(passanger) side mount? Does this help with the movement or vibrations?
J

how long do the stock motor mounts last under normal driving? i rarely drive over 3000 rpms. car has 47k miles on it, ive only owned it for the past 1k miles or so

Mine lasted till about 65k or 70k before I noticed anything wrong. I drove the car hard when I first got it before my daughter came along. I was racing everyone going up to about 6k or 7k rpm shifting. Shifting around 3k should make them last a little long not as much engine movement due to less torque being applied.

oo. i rarely speed (anymore after a ticket). just not worth it anymore. less headache and less lookin around for cops. and i really like the car and waited a long time before i could get it. so i want to keep it for a long time! :) thats why im going to drive it normally :D

mp3&v-stars said:
Why is SU's name being covered up? About the rear mount is AWR the best out there I really don't like the idea of using inserts with stock mounts. My engine is really rocking and is making the gears and taking of sloppy. I know my rear mount is cracked on three places. Would changing the front mount solve this problem or do I need the back?
What is the advantage of replacing the left(passanger) side mount? Does this help with the movement or vibrations?
J

I think SU's name is covered because they are no longer an authorized vendor. Issues I don't know about.

The front and rear mounts from AWR are not inserts, they are complete replacements. The sides are inserts. I know a couple people on here have replaced the front mount and used the side inserts. The stiffness wasn't as good as replacing the rear mount, but the vibrations weren't as bad either. It really depends on how you plan to mod and drive your car. I plan to build up my engine and be a "weekend warrior" but also use it as a daily driver. I love the car, so for now I can deal with the vibrations. We'll see how long that lasts though.

Back