Most Effective GTSPEC part

el_Don

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
I want to start looking for a GTSPEC part, like a 4-point ladder bar or something. I only want to buy one part right now due to money, which part will be the most noticeable part? Thanks

do you autocross or track the car?

if not, i would consider spending the money on something else.

Last edited:
save your money and buy springs and struts first. it'll make more difference than any one gt-spec piece

save your money and buy springs and struts first. it'll make more difference than any one gt-spec piece
No way....GT Spec PArts will Kill a set of SPrings and Struts.

By the Way..I have a Sedan GT Spec Trunk Bar Setup FS....LOL

Seriously..I do.

No way....GT Spec PArts will Kill a set of SPrings and Struts.

By the Way..I have a Sedan GT Spec Trunk Bar Setup FS....LOL

Seriously..I do.

don't have a sedan... but i have just about every gtspec peice....
by far the trunk cage was the best i installed... i could feel the difference immediatly unlike with the other parts

So if I don't autoX, are they not worth it? I thought I would be able to enjoy them even without autocrossing it

No..He was trying to base his decsion on your best bet on whether you DO or DON'T autoX.

BuY my Trunk Bars and call it a day.

dO You have springs already?

Last edited:
Oh.

No I haven't bought springs, only reason being that the springs I have are not that bad. So I'd rather add to the car rather than replacing something that doesn't really need to be replaced.

Is the trunk cage difficult to install?

it's pretty easy to install. i didn't put my trunk lining back in though so i'm not sure how difficult it would be to cut it and make it fit.

Ask these guys on the install..I persoanlly have not done it...but it does not look difficult at all to me.

yea I just checked out forcefed's trunkcage and I'm not looking to spend that much right now.

yea I just checked out forcefed's trunkcage and I'm not looking to spend that much right now.
THats actually a pretty damn good price on it....Nearly $100 Off of what it would cost you to buy new.

THats actually a pretty damn good price on it....Nearly $100 Off of what it would cost you to buy new.

Plus GTSpec parts for the protege and p5 are becomming more and more rare (very hard to find)...

most vendors that carry gtspec parts for protege and p5 are out of stock

There's a group buy going on right now for gtspec parts. 22% off and free shipping on orders over 120. Any suggestions?

The GTSpec parts are designed to reduce chassis flex. During normal street driving, your chassis flex will not be severe enough (or severe at all) for a GTSpec part to make any sort of difference. In fact, it adds weight. The best performance mod you can do are a few since you don't autocross and you don't drag. Who the hell drag races front wheel drive cars anyway?

1) Remove your spare tire, jack, and any tools associated with that.
2) Remove your carpets. Make sure to clean your bottom carpets once a month at least to prevent spots and permanent damage!
3) Remove your ski rack.
4) Remove anything else you're not using from your car.
The first two alone are worth 50, 60 pounds of weight. That's going to mean better acceleration and better fuel economy and will cost you nothing. The ski rack increases aerodynamic resistance (drag), especially at highway speeds, and removing it will save fuel. Fourth is just a further improvement on the first 2.

For street driving, though, anything that produces more torque is preferable since you're driving at 1500-3000 RPM at all times. Ride quality is also key since a Protege5 is a daily driver.

A cold air intake would be a find upgrade as long as you fit it with an air-bypass valve to prevent hydrolocking your engine. It's not fun. Ask me how I know. It adds almost no low-end power but it's the cheapest go-fast bit available for our cars. In general, focus on light weight, torque, and most of all, comfort. Our cars are fat pigs that could really be lightened significantly. Keep that in mind.

The GTSpec parts are designed to reduce chassis flex. During normal street driving, your chassis flex will not be severe enough (or severe at all) for a GTSpec part to make any sort of difference. In fact, it adds weight. The best performance mod you can do are a few since you don't autocross and you don't drag. Who the hell drag races front wheel drive cars anyway?

1) Remove your spare tire, jack, and any tools associated with that.
2) Remove your carpets. Make sure to clean your bottom carpets once a month at least to prevent spots and permanent damage!
3) Remove your ski rack.
4) Remove anything else you're not using from your car.
The first two alone are worth 50, 60 pounds of weight. That's going to mean better acceleration and better fuel economy and will cost you nothing. The ski rack increases aerodynamic resistance (drag), especially at highway speeds, and removing it will save fuel. Fourth is just a further improvement on the first 2.

For street driving, though, anything that produces more torque is preferable since you're driving at 1500-3000 RPM at all times. Ride quality is also key since a Protege5 is a daily driver.

A cold air intake would be a find upgrade as long as you fit it with an air-bypass valve to prevent hydrolocking your engine. It's not fun. Ask me how I know. It adds almost no low-end power but it's the cheapest go-fast bit available for our cars. In general, focus on light weight, torque, and most of all, comfort. Our cars are fat pigs that could really be lightened significantly. Keep that in mind.

FACT FAIL.

Not a Fact, I saw a write up on here of all the GT Spec Parts, Come out to be the same weight. The GT Spec parts are LIGHT.

Latest posts

Back