More questions for the gurus

Drumraven12

:
2008 speed3
Ok so I have received some great advice and feedback about engine work I have done and will be doing but my next steps are rims, wheels, and suspension.

After swimming through lots of post and websites I have only narrowed down what rim I want... I would love to have a wider rim/tire than what I am running stock and I aim to have the wheel well full not dramatic full but proportional.

Do I go 19's with no suspension??

Do I go 18's with suspension and lowered a little?

Full suspension? coilovers?

Crazy offset world vexes thee!!

I am 98% sure I will go with 18's and suspension but I would love to hear feedback on suspension used and pro's and con's I was looking at BC and have found some decent reviews but it worrys me when the hks system is almost 2grand more?? why??

here are the rims I will purchase as soon as I figure out what works:
http://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/W...zda&VehicleYearFinal=2008&VehicleModelFinal=3 speed&VehicleOption=standard

18x8 with which suspension?
18x7.5 with which suspension?

Thank you again for your time!

19's= GARBAGE. All that is is rotational mass you don't need. I'd go with an 18x8 personally, if you're bent on 18's, you can get more tire on there. Lots of folks running a 235-245 on rx8 rims w/o much of an issue. Suspension.... it's all preference. I have heard a lot of people like the BC coils, and a LOT of people that've said they're trash. IMO, if you don't need the adjustability of a full coilover setup (garaged cars in the winter, warmer state, stupid like me) you're better off going with an adjustable shock setup and a decent set of springs. Personally, I really like the Koni "yellows" (Sport, adjustable shock for damping) and Eibach Prokit springs. Won't get you scraping the pavement like coilovers will, probably a lot more liveable in the long run.

As far as why the HKS system is more- you're paying 50% for name, and 50% for quality. HKS is one of the best, and it shows. Even when their products are 200% more than the competitor, they still sell em.

Personally, I'd drop down to 17's (and I did :D) and run the meatiest tire you can, and get in there with a light drop and some sway bars. Sways were easily the best mod I've done to the car thusfar, other than going with 245/40/17 star specs. Car sticks like a CHAMP right now.

19's = Good Looks but still need some drop, noisey,ride qaulity is worse as well as performance, exspensive tires and the rims can be easily bent.

18's = better overall ride, performance, more tire size options, and better prices on both. My ideal set up for and 18 would be an 18x8 or 8.5 w/ a 45 et and 235-40 tire, plus a nice drop and mild rear fender roll.

Coilovers= exspensive, noisey, need to be a stainless set up if driven in winter to avoid the seizing/corrosion of the perches. Best choice if you want a big drop and some track performance or just to be able to adj. everything. Negs. If one shock goes bad you have downtime with the car unless you swop the entire suspension out....most coilovers have a high (linear) spring rates which is not My ideal for Daily Driving Comfort.

Spring/ Shock combo's= affordable meaning you can buy one or the other (springs or shocks or both), never need to worry about adjusting the height (you should really only go so low anyways!) U will only need to adjust shock for comfort if you get adjustables, If one shock goes bad you can swop in a stock until the other is repaired/replaced, mixing shocks is not the best choice but won't leave you stranded. No need to worry to much about corrosion because they will have a nice powder coated finish on them.

Im waiting to get some Koni yellows when they are back in stock to go with my pro-kit springs, thought about some H&R springs for a tad more drop in the front. Hope this helps out. I have experienced all of the above and thought I would give you some things to consider...good luck.

Last edited:
If you do decide 19s, then you're going to need suspension, especially cause that extra size will lift your car.

I would go 18s, and coils. A lot of people say BCs are bad. H&R or KW are the safest options imo

Hey!
Thank you all for your responses and help.

I am going with the raze 51 18x8 the offset is said to be 45.0mm will this fit ok??

What size tire do I need with this wheel to be as close to the full stock diameter as possible??

Finally as I have looked into it more I think I am going to steer clear of a full suspension mod... I will not be going to track days but I would like to have the care a little stiffer on the street and a little lower to close the gap....

Sway bars and springs??

Hey!
Thank you all for your responses and help.

I am going with the raze 51 18x8 the offset is said to be 45.0mm will this fit ok??

What size tire do I need with this wheel to be as close to the full stock diameter as possible??

Finally as I have looked into it more I think I am going to steer clear of a full suspension mod... I will not be going to track days but I would like to have the care a little stiffer on the street and a little lower to close the gap....

Sway bars and springs??
235-40-18 is the closest to the stock diameter. you can use the stock size 215-45.. but it will have a tad bit of stretch on the 18x8, it is within the tires specs tho. 225-40 will be alittle bit shorter in diameter and speedometer will be slightly off.

235-40-18 is the closest to the stock diameter. you can use the stock size 215-45.. but it will have a tad bit of stretch on the 18x8, it is within the tires specs tho. 225-40 will be alittle bit shorter in diameter and speedometer will be slightly off.

Thank you kind sir

I have the Hotckis sways, rear set on full stiff. Full stock suspension otherwise, and Direzza star specs. The wheel you're looking at is damn near identical sizewise to the rx8 wheel, which has had a 245 on it under multiple ms3's at this point. Car rides near stock, a little stiffer because of the sways, but not what I would call an issue.

Tires, Wheels & Suspension

Check out grassrootsmotorsports.com. I track my cars often and am always researching handling, power, wheels, tires etc. They are currently working on an 07 MS3 as one of their project cars. They have written three articles within the past year about CAIs, suspension, (wheels, tires and coilovers) and hand held tuner modifications with videos. This will give you some insight into what path you might want to travel.

The one thing I've learned about modding over the years is to try and maintain an overall balance, what I call the Goldilocks Syndrome, (not too hot, not too cold, just right). The only way to do this is to ask yourself what you really want to do with your car, like road track, autocross, drag race, canyon carver, freeway flyer, stealth daily driver, weekend race/show car, etc. and look for magazines, websites, people or shops that have created a benchmark for you to model your car mods after.

Have fun!

Thank you all again....

Well I have purchased the rims but not the tires yet I plan on taking the rims to my local tire shop and buying the tires there in hopes to get a good fit and close to stock.

As above stated questions ask about my plans I have given a lot of thought about my goals and what I plan on for the vehicle. I do want to make the suspension stiffer but not overly harsh... I will not be doing track days and this is my everyday driver and since its just me in the car 90% of the time a little extra stiffness is not bad. Now that I have the rims and tires I want to purchase suspension upgrades today.

I am really back and forth on what to do in this area I have been reading and searching a lot on what to get and will readily admit to little or no knowledge in the suspension area.
I made a few calls and so far it seems tein htech are suited for what I am looking for mixed with front and rear sway bars. This should lower me just a little to help close the wheel gap and provide less body roll and squat under acceleration does anyone have experience with these springs?
will my stock shocks handle the load??
if not what shocks (err dampers) are needed??

I have 20,000 miles on my speed3 and only mods thus far are cai, catback, bpv(full recirc), and boost gauge.

Modding is more of a hobby for me I am not trying to go nuts but do enjoy added performance I live in florida and have quick access to *************** and will be picking up and upgraded intercooler as well as the cobb downpipe I say all that to say I am trying to knock out the suspension stuff first before moving on also with just springs and bars is this something I can do myself?? I have experience with working on cars but mainly my old 68 ford truck but do have basic mechanical knowledge.

Thanks in advance again!

Back