More Cushioning / Upholstery Question

nubbers

:
2016 CX-5 GT Sonic Silver
I am considering having an upholsterer add foam to my driver's seat for more comfort, but I am really nervous about having the seat removed from the car to do the work. The upholsterer specializes in this work, custom interiors, and convertible roofs - the job would cost me b/t $85 - $100. As I understand it, new foam will be placed under the factory foam to provide more cushion. Has anyone ever had this done? Any recommendations or advice? Would having this work done do anything to void my warranty?

Note that I've tried a few different cushions on to of the seat, but they lift me up too high and none were very comfortable (actually felt quite awkward). I really like the car - I just need the seat to be a bit softer for my sciatic / high hamstring pain...I desperately want to be comfortable.

I found a seat cushion at Walmarts this is about 1 inch thick, the same size and color of my touring grey seat. I think it was about $8 and works fine. I'm sure an upholster would be a nicer fix though. I don't see this would have anything to do with a warranty and would not hesitate to have it done. Ed

Don't be nervous about the seat being removed. Four fasteners and an electrical connector and it's out.

Thanks, erhayes and Woodys2718 - I stopped at a custom foam shop today and they have a 1" high-density foam that felt pretty good when I tested a remnant in my car. There was also some nice black soft-touch leather-like material that can be made into a cover. Cost will likely be in the $60 range. I may very well try this first. I prefer the stock interior look, but comfort is king.

Thanks, erhayes and Woodys2718 - I stopped at a custom foam shop today and they have a 1" high-density foam that felt pretty good when I tested a remnant in my car. There was also some nice black soft-touch leather-like material that can be made into a cover. Cost will likely be in the $60 range. I may very well try this first. I prefer the stock interior look, but comfort is king.

That sounds like a very low price for the amount of work involved. I know skilled upholsterers around here wouldn't take on such a job without more financial reward.

The seats in the CX-5 have an impressive amount of safety technology in them. The backrest is designed to partially break away near the mid-point in a frontal accident of sufficient force in such a manner that absorbs forces and controls the motion of the upper body to reduce injury. Also, there is a side curtain airbag designed to blow through the side seam of the backrest in the event of roll-over or side impact (like if you were T-boned by someone blowing through a stop sign). Anyone who reupholsters the seat needs to understand how it is designed to insure it doesn't compromise safety.

Also, the seat foam is supported by U-springs so hopefully your upholsterer knows how to prevent these from wearing into whatever foam is installed there without compromising the ability of the springs to work independently to accommodate different butt shapes.

Be aware that simply adding more cushioning doesn't guarantee you will find comfort. Sometimes this can make it worse or cause new problems (like causing your lower spine to go out of alignment). I know a custom motorcycle saddle builder that says he could provide perfect, all-day comfort by carving the saddle out of a solid piece of wood. He says as long as it has the right contours for the individual in question, it doesn't need cushioning. Of course cars need to have seats that work for multiple drivers so foam is the only way to accommodate the variety in butt shapes, postures, etc.

The mod you are contemplating has a higher chance of success if it is done by someone who understands seat comfort and what your particular need is (beyond simply adding another sheet of flat foam to make it softer).

The trouble with bucket seats is everyone has a different bucket. I agree that for most people soft isn't the answer, fit is. The most comfortable office chair I ever had was solid wood. The one I have now is high quality (Gunlock) but very little padding, it just fits. I bought the CX-5 because of my particular sciatic and back issues. I found that the closer I am to sitting up straight like in a kitchen chair, the better for me. Riding in a lot of friends SUVs confirmed that the seating position was better then a car for me. (And I confirmed I didn't like the handling of most SUVs) The next issue is I can not take presume against the side of my right leg (Bolsters.) The fix for me was to custom cut a very stiff piece of foam (military jeep cushion) so that it fills the space between the two bolsters and gives me a flat rather hard seating surface.

It works for me.

BTW with my last car I knew I had to remove the bolsters because I didn't have the head room to add a cushion between them. I bought a used seat from a wreck and cut that one up and welded in a different pan. It to had built in air bags and I had to work around them. Having the original seat untouched meant I could return the car to stock.

When you are talking being able to extend your comfortable time in the car from 2 hrs to 6 hrs, warranty and even a possible minor compromise in driver safety is not a issue. (The alternative for me was a old pickup with bench seats.) A BIG compromise in safety and in handling (active safety) Thank God there is one crossover SUV that handles and is fun to drive.

Hi MikeM - thx for the valuable input. I should have clarified...my follow-up post was about having a custom cushion created and not the cost of the upholstery work. I purchased the remnant to test it out as the cushion will take a few weeks to make once they have a template of my seat. To have foam added to the seat will run me $85 - $100. The upholsterer seems reputable from the reviews I've read - we don't have many options locally to choose from, but this shop has been in business for a long time. I'll like try a custom cushion first as it doesn't break the bank, and is certainly less invasive. I'm remaining positive - the pluses absolutely outweigh the negatives with the CX-5.

Thanks, fdew...agreed that not all buckets match all backsides. I also decided on an SUV based upon not being comfortable sitting low in sedans. I really like the height and ground clearance of the CX-5.

I'm not used to firm sport seats, but I find small adjustments to my seat helps (hope I don't burn out the switches). Most cushions I've tried simply lift me up too high in the seat (or make me feel like I'm sitting in my son's booster). The seats otherwise fit me well as I'm 5'10" / ~160 lbs. For the time being, I'm keeping my backrest leaned back a bit and the seat cushion about halfway tilted up (front lip angled higher). This is a different type of driving position for me by comparison to my former vehicles and 2015 Odyssey. Unfortunately, I'm neither handy or adventurous enough to attempt any mods myself.

^^ Instead of foam, have you considered Gel insert ?

Yes - ordered one gel cushion from Amazon (Skwoosh Driver), but it is a bit too wide and short against the back of my thighs. I liked the feel of the foam remnant as it fully supports the entire length of my legs.

Last edited:
The seats are fine but the headrests - suck. I ended turning them backwards and now at least I can rest my head without having it jutting forward and causing me shoulder pain (which I wondered where it suddenly appeared from). I understand Mazda lovers will chip in here and state it's top-of-the-line safety design, etc. but I don't want a permanent shoulder/back problem also. I have driven few cars, all recent and I don't think I encountered this design.

The seats are fine but the headrests - suck. I ended turning them backwards and now at least I can rest my head without having it jutting forward and causing me shoulder pain (which I wondered where it suddenly appeared from). I understand Mazda lovers will chip in here and state it's top-of-the-line safety design, etc. but I don't want a permanent shoulder/back problem also. I have driven few cars, all recent and I don't think I encountered this design.

Do you drive w/the seat upright? My backrest is slightly angled and I have just about a perfect amount of room b/t my head and the headrest.

Do you drive w/the seat upright? My backrest is slightly angled and I have just about a perfect amount of room b/t my head and the headrest.

Good observation! The first time I heard of this issue was in 1999. A couple of new Volvo S80 owners complained the headrests were intrusive, no one else had a problem with them. It was finally determined they had their backrest in a very vertical position. That's probably the problem here unless your hair looks like this:

attachment.php

Back