Modified Door Locks!! (on a MSP)

Elderain

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed #2
Woot, I finally got my lazy self around to modifying the door locks. If your anything like me, your like to rest your left arm out the window when driving. The pesky MSP locks however prevent you from doing so comfortably :( In the locked position they are still about 1/2 inch above the door, and if you rest your arm on it, it leaves quite the impression! I decided that I wanted my door locks to be flush with the door when in the locked position, so after asking around for some ideas, etc... I decided to take some action. Here is the final outcome.

http://www.********.com/pictures/doormod1.jpg
http://www.********.com/pictures/doormod2.jpg
http://www.********.com/pictures/doormod3.jpg

Total time: 28 minutes (1 door)
Total cost: $1.50 (1 door)

How to write up in the works.

Something so simple is bringing me much pleasure right now :) I did all this in the dark too LOL I have a ton of pics, with a detailed write up, which im in the process of now.

Very nice ... infact I was thinking about that when I was driving today.....but doesn't it make unlocking manually impossible?

Ohhhh I feel special, your first post! Im typing as we speak, and drawing pretty arrows and circles on some pictures. Gimme another half hour for a How To: I just wanted to post some early pics and see what people thought.

II-Savy said:
Very nice ... infact I was thinking about that when I was driving today.....but doesn't it make unlocking manually impossible?

Yes, it does. However, I don't care :) The power lock button is just inches away from where the lock is, and its easier to get to IMO. For the rest of the doors, yes, they will have to rely on me now to have there door opened. Small price to pay, but I usually travel alone so it's not a big deal for me.

uclap5 said:
1 question... why on the passanger side? :p

Trial by fire. I wasn't sure how this would work so I figure if i ****** up, I could still get to work in the morning though the drivers door! LOL It worked fine however, so tommorow in the daylight, I will do the rest of the doors.

******** said:
Ohhhh I feel special, your first post! Im typing as we speak, and drawing pretty arrows and circles on some pictures. Gimme another half hour for a How To: I just wanted to post some early pics and see what people thought.

Now, don't forget when drawing your circles and arrows, to make them contasting....(sorry, I'm colorblind) ....seriously, nice job, and I am very interested to see how you did this.

Peace,
Jesse

LOL OrangeAppeal, ill make a special version for you that blinks and gives people seizures! :) Im glad you appreciate my pictures for the weatherstripping!

Very good mod indead. I did that mod last year and I am very happy that I did. Much more comfortable.

Later

Sweet! I have been meaning to do that. I would like to know what u did because it looks a HELL of a lot better than what I was planning on doing! :D

******** said:
For the rest of the doors, yes, they will have to rely on me now to have there door opened.

Now you've got yourself some rape doors. Nice job.:D (hump)

LOL ok not what i intended to use them for ;) but to each his own. my passengers are always there on there own free will :p

Back