modification questions

dusterbd13

:
03 P5
after looking through the how to's, I still have a couple questions.

1. which version of the fog light mod makes them stay on with the high beams, but turn off with the switch for headlights like stock?
2. is there a 4 high headlight mod? where low AND high beams come on when you click high beams.
3. any downside to the always on power window mod?
4. anyone ever de-shrouded their stock fog lights for more light output?

thanks guys. hoping to tackle some electrical tweaks after replacing struts over the weekend.

Addressing #2, i thought both lows and highs came on when you toggle them? Mine do...

And #4, ive heard some people deshrouding their fogs as the output is "incompetent". Ive left mine in even with HIDs so its preference i guess.

I don't think my lows stay on with my highs. need to double check that tonight. might be thinking of my wifes Subaru....

did the HID conversion in the fogs help out? that's actually why I want to deshroud mine. going HID's and trying to get more peripheral lighting for deer spotting.... last one did some damage....

Lows don't stay on with highs, but I believe in the how-to there are multiple threads on how to keep the fogs on with the high beams and with only the parking lights. You can still toggle the fog lights with the switch. No downside to the power window mods as far as I know, had it on my car for years now. Taking the shroud out of the fogs isn't going to help you see ahead any better it will just blind anyone driving towards you and will probably get you pulled over.

1. I did the one wire mod on fogs where they work with parking lights only but still go off with brights.
2. If you do H7 HIDs in low beams they will stay on with high beams - dunno why but they did in mine. No other light mods, it just did it that way hooking HIDs up normally powering them off the headlight plug. Otherwise, IIRC, both hi/lo stay on if toggling the stalk to flash brights but not when you push forward and switch to brights.....maybe - have to recheck.
3. Can't think of any downside to having pwr windows always hot.
4. I didn't deshroud fogs when converting to HID but did push shroud up away from bulb some. Still makes nice cutoff while allowing more light output.

Last edited:
checked my headlights last night, and all 4 stay on when high is clicked on. now just to figure out which folglight how to to follow.

and how did the cutoffs work with the HID lows? im really considering that, but don't want to blind oncoming.

and how far did you bend the shields? cause that sounds like a good middle ground for me.

The HIDs in low beams don't really have cutoff, light goes everywhere but I had mine pointed down enough where lighting was great and no flashing from other drivers. I just went back with halogen on all my car/trucks for mandatory lighting and do HID/LED in optional lights like fogs or light bars. They were very good on light spread but the high beams were useless and hit the ground close to front of car like fog lights. That was other reason on car to go back halogen, to have brights again. On the fog lights, I bent shields up about 1/2 inch above the bulb. I did plug harness together and run light off battery to make sure they worked and was very bright compared to the halogen H3s but were not mounted on car due to the MSP lip and seeing where else they could be mounted. Not even going to be using them since they are too big for original spot with lip (not cutting lip) and too big to hang from crashbar behind lower grill on either side of license plate. Will be customizing some square housings to fit with lip to put HIDs in and probably selling the HID converted oems.

Back