=-=-=-=-Modern Performance Inc. Turbo Kit-=-=-=-=

Micah

Modern Performance Inc. Turbo Kit

I have some news to deliver:

Sadly Perfworks recently lost a family member. He has spent alot of time with his family at the hospital. I was speaking with him today on the phone, and he wishes to spend time with his family. His father operates his own business, and Nick (perfworks) would like to join his father.

Nick (perfworks)is a good friend of mine, and I will remain in constant contact with him for forum members who need to ask him a question. However, he will be turning the business over to www.modernperformanceinc.com , which is run by Nick M.

You can visit the site to see a limited sampling of his work. KzA will be updating the site shortly, with updated pages for both Protege's and some more existing services which are provided by the shop, but not yet mentioned (Porsche, Audi, Mustang, Harley Davidson, Classic, etc.). Nick operates a full machine shop, and in the time I have been there for my own kits install, I have been constantly impressed. Nick has a great eye for detail, as well as the needed intuition to diagnose problems quickly and correctly.

The kit for Auto's is all but finished. We have been road tuning for the past 2 weeks, and have finally nailed things down to where they should be. A few members of the forum have been asking for screenshots of what the program looks like used for tuning the piggyback with a computer. Nick will be sending a screenshot to me in email, and I will post it on the new thread.

As Perfworks has asked me to, I will represent the online sales for the kit, any questions about the kit, may be directed to me via PM's. I have created a new email address - turbomicah at aol dot com. I'd prefer that any questions be first submitted to me as a PM, but I understand that people are going to want to have an email address for me.

I will be posting this on both of Perfworks threads, and I am starting a new thread

-=-=-=-=-=-Modern Performance Inc. Turbo Kit-=-=-=-=-=-

Nick (perfworks) put a lot of time and effort into this kit, and I intend to do the same. As most of you know, I am not a mechanic. I'm a network admin. However, I am very hands on with my cars, and always have been. Working with both Nicks at the shop has been alot of fun. I'll continue learning as I go. Any questions you have about the kit can be directed to me, as well as any questions about the piggyback, turbo performance, etc. If I do not know the answer, I will consult with Nick M. and relay the information to you. Feel free to email me questions, but I would prefer all questions be submitted in the thread, so that others may have their questions answered as well.

Last edited:
Wow...heavy stuff.

Nick: Sorry to hear about the loss.

How will this effect products coming down the pipeline?

shouldn't be a problem at all.

Actually, we have been road tuning my car for the past two weeks. Tonight, we finally got everything down. Currently my car has a Garrett T3, and while the boost is great, it's also a bit too much for my automatic. Around 7-8psi, the tranny will slip, and the revs shoot right up. I like my tranny, in one piece, so we will be changing this turbo with a smaller IHI. There is no detonation as the Piggyback is loaded right now. We had some last week when we got above 5psi, but the extra injectors have now been mapped to provide enough fuel.

I've come up with a few small ideas which Nick M. and I discussed while road testing tonight. We are going to have an LED to show the extra injectors firing. This will serve many purposes. First off, it will let you monitor fuel consumption. I don't care how often you think you can dart your eyes back and forth from the boost gauge to the road, trust me, you're going to find yourself in boost sometimes when you don't expect it. A nice RED or ORANGE LED will help alert you. Plus, I think it will look nice.

We did have detonation until we started using the Boost Retard function of the piggyback.

KzA's car will be coming in on Wednesday August 13th. I'll add more details as things develop, and I will sit down with Nick so that I can list the kit's full details in this thread.

Most of you have probably read my posts, I'll keep posting exactly the same now. I'm honest, if something isn't working - I'll tell you. If you have a question, and I don't know the answer, I'll tell you that I don't know. But, I will do my best to find out. I've got both Nick M. and Nick (perfworks) who I can call upon when I am not sure about something.

It's a quarter after midnight, and I have to work from 8am until midnight on Wednesday(Disaster Recovery Exercise for work at Sungard), so this will be my last post for the night. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

hey, for those who wanted to see a screenshot of the tuning software.

Attachments

• mpiss.jpg
    mpiss.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 304
Micah said:
We did have detonation until we started using the Boost Retard function of the piggyback.

Boost retard function? Is that where it retards X degrees for every Y psi? I didn't think the piggyback could "see" boost? Or am I way off here?

Micah said:
hey, for those who wanted to see a screenshot of the tuning software.

Sweet. I assume the map I'm looking at is for additional injectors?

yeah, that's for the extra injectors, if you look you can see that you hit the F1,F2,F3 keys to switch between maps. You can always use the mouse, but it's easier for some people to use the keyboard shortcuts.

The fuel map for the extra injectors on my car looks very similar to that one. The Analog Map shows the cars stock injectors, which are left alone for the ECU to control normally on my car. The piggyback can control the stock injectors (with a larger mass air meter) as well as extra injectors. It also shows driving history, which will allow you to see your driving habits on a 3 Dimensional graphical representation.

If you look on the left you can see the runnning conditions, when the unit is online, these are all read in real time. Any changes made to the Maps will take place in real time as well (providing you are connected to the piggyback and "online" or actively connected to the piggyback for the purpose of monitoring/tuning).

Last edited:
Hey Micah,
please relay my hart felt condolences to Nick and his family. I have only spoken to him by phone but he seemed like a nice guy.

(sad2)

As for the piggyback, I am really interested in this in getting one but I am waiting to hear the results of other MSP owners.

PS. Did you guys get the maps for the stock msp and boosted msp yet?

Do you have an estimate on your current HP and Torque numbers that is causing you to make your tranny slip?

Just curious.

Also... give my condolences to perfworks. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks,
Dale.

Last edited:
dficken said:
Do you have an estimate on your current HP and Torque numbers that is causing you to make your tranny slip?

Just curious.

Also... give my condolences to perfworks. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks,
Dale.

I will let Nick know that people are thinking about him. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

No, I don't have any estimates on HP or torque. I could take a guess, but frankly - it wouldn't be accurate, and I'd rather keep things honest. From my own opinion, it's a noticable boost in power. We are going to be mounting a smaller turbo on my car for testing.

I'm working ( yep, right now ) at my job in the middle of a 7am-midnight shift at the moment, but I will try to check in throughout the day. I called Nick and left a voicemail for him to answer the question about the boost retard function to find out how it works.

I will make every effort to answer questions posed by forum members, in a timely and accurate fashion.

Kooldino said:
Boost retard function? Is that where it retards X degrees for every Y psi? I didn't think the piggyback could "see" boost? Or am I way off here?

Micah - You never commented on this post above...

I called Nick M and left him a voicemail. As soon as I find out, I'll post the answer. I won't guess. You'll know shortly after I do.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss. You have to do what you have to do in this life though. I glad to see that we will still have qualified and honest people to work with. I just put in an application for another job to save up and afford one of your kits.
with all this taking place are you guys still going to be working on the 500hp+ kit? That is what I'd really like to save up and get.

Ok, the retard is based on load. ( Boost comes on under load, so while I could have said a simple "yes", I felt it would be more accurate to state that it is dependant on load. Of course Boost is also relative to load.)

aftershock63 said:
I'm sorry to hear of the loss. You have to do what you have to do in this life though. I glad to see that we will still have qualified and honest people to work with. I just put in an application for another job to save up and afford one of your kits.
with all this taking place are you guys still going to be working on the 500hp+ kit? That is what I'd really like to save up and get.

I breifly discussed the kit stages with Nick M. the other night while we were road tuning my car. I can assure you that the 3 stages are still what we intend to provide. Of course like any other kit manufacturer, the kits are merely a guideline, and may be customized to the customers desires.

So yes, the 500HP+ is still in the lineup. I'll try to discuss this with Nick M on Thursday when I am at the shop.

Micah, sorry to hear about Nick's loss.

You said that you are running extra injectors, in the intake, and the piggyback is controlling them. How is the drivability on your car? Does the system control upgraded injectors? If so how well out of boost?

mikesmazda155 said:
Micah, sorry to hear about Nick's loss.

You said that you are running extra injectors, in the intake, and the piggyback is controlling them. How is the drivability on your car? Does the system control upgraded injectors? If so how well out of boost?

The 2 extra injectors are mounted just before the throttle body. They only come on when the piggyback tells them to. Gas mileage is important to me, so the way my car is set up reflects this. When I am driving, as long as I do not enter boost, the car feels entirely stock. The stock ECU is controlling the stock injectors completely normally as it does stock. As my car enters boost, the piggyback detects the load on the engine and adds fuel via the injectors.

The drivability of the car is great, I am pretty sure I could take someone for a ride, and as long as I stay out of boost, they would never think the car was anything more than stock.

The system will allow you to control the extra injectors however you want to tune it. Technically, you could have them come on right from the start, though I can't see why anyone would want to do this.

Basically, take a look at the screenshot, this should make things easier to understand. I will try to create a few small mpegs on Thursday to illustrate this better. Once I do this, I think it will be very easy for you to see how it works.

Micah said:
Ok, the retard is based on load. ( Boost comes on under load, so while I could have said a simple "yes", I felt it would be more accurate to state that it is dependant on load. Of course Boost is also relative to load.)

Ahh, gotcha. Calculated load, i assume.

Sorry to hear about nick, hes a real helpful guy.

I was planning on picking up a piggyback if all went well. I might wait to after KZA get his and check it out on yours and his car. I have also talked with the other nick and he seems helpful as well. If your at the next meet, i really wasnt to check your steup out.

Back