Modded WRX owner considering a MS3

Beleive me, I have thought about it but I don't know if I want to dump 5k on getting a trans built on a car that has 40k miles on it. If i do that then fiscally it wouldn't make any sense to ever get rid of the car because I know I wouldn't see that 5k back. It would make more sense to just upgrade to an Sti, get the bigger turbo and the .5 more liters of displacement and the really nice 6spd. Then take insurance into consideration---

I am kind of looking into switching it up and trying out a different platform and I am starting to think that the MS3 may be for me. I am attracted to the sleeper peformance and the exclusivity of a limited production car... in my line of work EVERYONE has a WRX...

one of my coworkers just went from an 300whp Evo8 to a 180hp Mini Cooler turbo...and he absolutely loves it.

ra gears only cost 2200 installed.

never tracked it, I would have guessed mid to high 13s with a good launch.

my biggest problem is that all the magazines put the MS3 up against a Stock WRX. I beleive MotorTrend hit a 14.1 with the MS3 and a 14.0 with the WRX. Then they go touting that the WRX is the faster car..when in reality due to the excellent traction of the WRX and the not so great traction on the MS3, the WRX hits a better ET but the MS3 traps a good 2-3 mph faster-- meaning after that 1/4 mile there is no doubt in my mind that the ms3 would walk away from the WRX with ease. The ms3 looks slower on paper, but go drive both and there is no comparisson.

Yea but are the upgrade options there? I can buy a used sti turbo for about 200 bucks a used sti intercooler for about 200 bucks, and a used utec for around 300 thats less then 1000 bucks and if I have an exhaust already, there is no way the ms3 is going to walk away from that.

Elbartorex check this out man-

you ever heard of enginuity? if not read up - it's a free engine man. software..i can flash any map or make my own custom map for nothing. I know alot of you may bock at this but there are several vendors on ebay selling no name knock off intercoolers / tbe / and a host of other parts that are very good in quality and have been dyno proven to work.

and the trans was slightly upgraded in 06 but it still can be broken even with stock power..if driven incorrectly. There are a ton of staged ??? wrx's with the stock trans. as a matter of fact a friend had an 02, the weakest trans subaru made for the wrx, that was cobb stage2 ..he was running right at a 12 sec pass in the 1/4...did so many many many times..other than the clutch going out it he never had an issue with the tranny.

Of course the all mighty ms3 can hang with an sti from a high mph roll..i bet it does so against evo's too...it's called drivetrain loss.

you don't need a 18g! ....the stock sti turbo is more than capable of putting more than 300+ whp/tq to the ground on a wrx with the 2.5 ltr which will more than "blow the ms3 out of the water" see here - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399401

so let's see
free tune
sti turbo - 300-400
ebay tmic - 250
ebay tbe - 250
fuel pump - 75-80

total - 980 bucks and it'll hit 12's in the 1/4 all day if driven right. now will the trans last 10 years this way? no it won't - I am realistic - but comeon guys i know this is a mazda forum and i respect that but i think your reachin here. I respect the ms3..hands down it is faster from a roll stock but if driven legally it's just as fast and becomes a drivers race. man i hope this place does not turn into srtforums .com where anything but the neon is crap!!!

hey man i am not trolling..I never not 1 time ever said the ms3 could not be modded..i have been here long enough to see what can be done with the ms3

...you need to calm down...

The point i was trying to make was that the wrx/sti can be modded and tuned for very little $. I never once said which car was better than the other...stock for stock they run the same times in the 1/4...my 14.2 was with an easy launch with only a few 1000 miles on the clock. I was/am still learning the car. some have gone mid 13's with the 2.5 ltr stock....so with a good driver, which i am not claiming to be, can pull the same 1/4 mile times. so you owned yourself there pal.

oh you sell parts...for jscspeed .com? man that's some good advertising right there!

We don't even need more power to beat WRXs. People with stock MS3s have been getting into the 13.9's in the 1/4, and 0-60 times ranging from 5.5 - 6.0 flat. All we need is to eliminate torque management in 1st and 2nd, and get enough traction to the front to control it. So something like the Stage 2 Cobb suspension, a little ECU work, some stickier tires and this car will be a few tenths faster all around.

We don't even need more power to beat WRXs. People with stock MS3s have been getting into the 13.9's in the 1/4, and 0-60 times ranging from 5.5 - 6.0 flat. All we need is to eliminate torque management in 1st and 2nd, and get enough traction to the front to control it. So something like the Stage 2 Cobb suspension, a little ECU work, some stickier tires and this car will be a few tenths faster all around.

look up what driver311 is and has done as well as laloosh...they have minimal mods and are in the 12's. My point to the OP was that it does not take thousands to mod the wrx. also there are several wrx's running that fast/faster stock...like i said they are close in the 1/4..you guys dyno about 20-30 whp more than the 06-07 2.5ltr cars but w/awd we get u off the line...u real us in at the end...drivers race.

I am now at stage1 with a free map from gabedude on the open ecu forums...he has ran mid 13's with this map and no other mods. if the track is open next weekend i am going back.

And my point is that we are traction and power limited. We make up to 70% of our peak torque in first, only up to about 90% in second. Seriously, for the price of a set of stickier front tires and some ECU work if/when it becomes available, it won't be as much of a drivers race at all in the 1/4.

I don't particularly care how cheap/affordable it is to mod either car. They are comparable to each other stock. You said the WRX can be tuned for very little money - so can the Speed3. We don't need power, we need traction and fewer electronic nannies. You don't need traction, you need power. But that's all in a straight line race. Who the hell cares about that? I've seen lap time comparisons between the cars, and the stock WRX is a few seconds slower a lap.

Don't get me wrong, I like the WRX and all, but you're arguments seem to be pretty subjective, and more than a little misinformed. There are people here running numbers as good as what you say you can get with the WRX, without needing a bigger turbo or any ECU work. There are people here getting 300/300 at the wheels with nothing but work on the induction and exhaust sides of the damn motor.

And my point is that we are traction and power limited. We make up to 70% of our peak torque in first, only up to about 90% in second. Seriously, for the price of a set of stickier front tires and some ECU work if/when it becomes available, it won't be as much of a drivers race at all in the 1/4.

I don't particularly care how cheap/affordable it is to mod either car. They are comparable to each other stock. You said the WRX can be tuned for very little money - so can the Speed3. We don't need power, we need traction and fewer electronic nannies. You don't need traction, you need power. But that's all in a straight line race. Who the hell cares about that? I've seen lap time comparisons between the cars, and the stock WRX is a few seconds slower a lap.

Don't get me wrong, I like the WRX and all, but you're arguments seem to be pretty subjective, and more than a little misinformed. There are people here running numbers as good as what you say you can get with the WRX, without needing a bigger turbo or any ECU work. There are people here getting 300/300 at the wheels with nothing but work on the induction and exhaust sides of the damn motor.

subjective - no
misimformed - plausable
i know what people are doing with the ms3...I was speaking only in 1/4 mile terms...did i ever mention anything about lap times? - no
I know the ms3 handles better - i never said a thing about it.;)(strike)

I have yet to read anywere where someone was making that kind of power w/o ecu work...everyone making that kind of power has been done with the cpe.

i agree with everything in your statement. seems as we were talking apples/oranges.
i look forward to seeing what you can do with your car. also if i worked at a shop like you i'd have modded my car in the first hour i owned...just to tempting!

i agree with everything in your statement. seems as we were talking apples/oranges.
i look forward to seeing what you can do with your car. also if i worked at a shop like you i'd have modded my car in the first hour i owned...just to tempting!

trust me, its very very hard. I will most likely be doing my first mod right after the holidays...

Just to add Fuel to the fire, I ran into a red MS3 on the parkway yesterday. Walked him from a roll at 70 and 80 - with my 2.0 WRX. I'm assuming he was stock.

Just dyno'd this past weekend. 275awhp/245awtq. A 2007 STI Cobb Stage 1 went on the dyno after me and put down 245hp/255tq. Cobb rates that map at 325hp/340tq flywheel. Cobb rates my cars map (vf34 map) at 320hp/295tq. As you would imagine, I'm very happy with my results and feel like I did a good job with the mods. Even better - many of my mods were used and saved a ton of cash. Tein SS-P C/O's $800, Bosal Divorced DP + gutted 3rd cat + Cobb 3" CBE $150, Volk TE37 16x7.5 (12.1lbs) + Potenza RE-01R $1500, K&N Typhoon Crinkle Red SRI $100, 2006 6-speed swap $3200(+labor), 2006 STI TMIC $200. One of the very nice things about the WRX is the aftermarket is so huge, and there are so many people modding that used parts are pretty regularly available.

I wanted the car to have usable power. Enough to have fun and not find myself way above the speed limit. I didn't build my WRX to be balls to the wall fast. A PE1825 would have served that role, but I didn't want to risk blowing the engine, nor did I want to break the trans. The reputation of Glassbox is not entirely undeserved. My trans felt fine until I upgraded the clutch and started launching a little bit, and started shifting more aggressively. Lesson learned, I ended up breaking the 5sp anyway. At this point, I'm planning on getting a protune, I should be able to hit 290-300awhp/260-270awtq.

The car gets into boost very early. The TGV deletion and being catless help quite a bit. I'm building boost by 2k, full boost(18psi) by 3k. I can cruise in 4th gear at 25mph around 2000rpm. Once above 3k the car pulls pretty hard at a moments notice. My mod list is pretty long, pretty much everything I could find to make it breathe easier, then some braking, suspension, and drivetrain mods. I surprise alot of STI/EVO/MS3/M3/GTI/GT/etc. People misjudge the car, and I love having a sleeper. I've been getting 23-24mpg, but now that winter gas is here I'm getting 21-22mpg - however, with the cold weather I've been romping on it a little more. So it might not even be the winter fuels fault. :)

12-1-07wrx2002vf34sti2006trans_small.JPG

Last edited:
nice micah...i just flashed to gabedude's stage1 map using ecueditor and the car is a beast! alot of fun to drive now.

Just dyno'd this past weekend. 275awhp/245awtq. A 2007 STI Cobb Stage 1 went on the dyno after me and put down 245hp/255tq. Cobb rates that map at 325hp/340tq flywheel. Cobb rates my cars map (vf34 map) at 320hp/295tq. As you would imagine, I'm very happy with my results and feel like I did a good job with the mods. Even better - many of my mods were used and saved a ton of cash. Tein SS-P C/O's $800, Bosal Divorced DP + gutted 3rd cat + Cobb 3" CBE $150, Volk TE37 16x7.5 (12.1lbs) + Potenza RE-01R $1500, K&N Typhoon Crinkle Red SRI $100, 2006 6-speed swap $3200(+labor), 2006 STI TMIC $200. One of the very nice things about the WRX is the aftermarket is so huge, and there are so many people modding that used parts are pretty regularly available.

I wanted the car to have usable power. Enough to have fun and not find myself way above the speed limit. I didn't build my WRX to be balls to the wall fast. A PE1825 would have served that role, but I didn't want to risk blowing the engine, nor did I want to break the trans. The reputation of Glassbox is not entirely undeserved. My trans felt fine until I upgraded the clutch and started launching a little bit, and started shifting more aggressively. Lesson learned, I ended up breaking the 5sp anyway. At this point, I'm planning on getting a protune, I should be able to hit 290-300awhp/260-270awtq.

The car gets into boost very early. The TGV deletion and being catless help quite a bit. I'm building boost by 2k, full boost(18psi) by 3k. I can cruise in 4th gear at 25mph around 2000rpm. Once above 3k the car pulls pretty hard at a moments notice. My mod list is pretty long, pretty much everything I could find to make it breathe easier, then some braking, suspension, and drivetrain mods. I surprise alot of STI/EVO/MS3/M3/GTI/GT/etc. People misjudge the car, and I love having a sleeper. I've been getting 23-24mpg, but now that winter gas is here I'm getting 21-22mpg - however, with the cold weather I've been romping on it a little more. So it might not even be the winter fuels fault. :)

12-1-07wrx2002vf34sti2006trans_small.JPG

How does the vf34 compare to an 18g? I raced (on a closed course (wink)) a full bolt on 18g WRX (2.0) and put about half a car on him from 20-130ish. Either way, sounds like your car would be a fun car. :) I definitely considered a WRX in my last 2 car purchases, but both times I just couldn't do it.

the vf34 came in the JDM STi models. It is very similar to the vf39 in the USDM STi but has a slightly larger exhaust housing AND (most importantly) has a ball bearing design. The vf34 offers incredible low and mid range power and minimal lag. The vf34 would be considered the best turbo out there for the WRX if it wasn't so damn expensive, around $1200 retail. The vf34 will typically put out 290-305 at the wheels on a 2.0 WRX when tuned with supporting mods.

The Td05-18g is a significantly larger standard cartridge bearing turbo. Its physically bigger than the vf34 and will produce more lag than the 34 but also will make much better top end power. Tuned people have seen up to 300-325 on the 18g. I was seriously considering an 18g before I got rid of my WRX.

In a top end race an 18g would take it. A well driven vf34 would rock the 18g on an autox because of the low and mid-range power.

I'm glad to hear that a lightly modded MS3 took an 18g WRX to 130--THAT is impressive...

+1 to everything above

I went with the vf34 because I wanted usable power in daily driving. I have friends with 18g and 20g, and while they will run on me up high, they wait a few hundred RPM longer for boost. I've got boost building around 2k, but very light - real boost comes up around 2600-3100rpm.

I'm very impressed that a MS3 trapping 14.1@102 was able to beat an 18g WRX to 130, how close was it around 100mph?

Back