Mobil 1 Oil Change

tmht

OK guys...
I need help finding an Oil Change place that uses Mobil 1 synthetic in the SD area. Doing it myself is out of the question for many reasons, number one being I just don't want to. But mostly because I don't have a place to do it. Suggestions on places in the Phoenix area, particularly around Chandler would be helpful as well.

Sorry let me be more specific... Any place BESIDE Jiffy Lube. I don't know of a single Jiffy Lube in San Diego that hasn't been sued for ******* up someones car. I know one person that they didn't but the grease cap back on the pumpkin after they lubed the diff. And the one in Downtown SD had a C3 Corvette fall off the lift and denied causing the damage AND wouldn't let the owner have the car back until they got paid!

So needless to say Jiffy Lube in SD does not have a good track record.

Honestly, I used to take my cars to K-Mart. They have a good price for Mobil 1 oil changes. $35-40 if I remember correctly. Others charge you $50+. Or you can buy your own oil/filter and take it pretty much anywhere and they will charge about $10 for the change. I've done that a few times as well.

Sam

Thanks for the KMart tip but KMarts in CA don't have Automotive departments out side of a couple of ailes in the store.

I don't know, I change my own oil. I don't trust the oil change locations they tend to fill it up till its full.

Here's the deal... I live in an urban area in an apartment with no off street parking. My apartment is at the top of a hill and all of the parking is parallel. There is no place with in 5 blocks of my place where I can park and not be at a 5 degree slope or greater. On top of that it is illegal to conduct maintenance or repairs on city streets. The cops are almost never in my neighborhood, but Murphy's Law and all... Therefor I'm stuck with taking it someplace. The dealer has decent prices but they use Castrol. There is an oil change place that I used in the past that is very thorough but only use Penzoil for synthetic.

Sounds like your best bet is to go with buying your own oil and filter and having someplace do it for you.

There's nothing wrong with Castrol. Syntec rocks!

MS MSP #143

p.s. How bout a buddy's place who has a driveway/garage, something ?

Last edited:
yep, sounds like you should go with the BYO option.

Or you could stop by a friends house and do it there. Change their oil for them to return the favor. Trust me, nobody will turn down that offer.

You could probably do the same thing with Washing your car.

Just a side note to the dealer thing, if you take it there you will get the stock oil filter which from what i hear is the best thing to use on any car! Keepin it fresh and clean clean! ;)

Since my Protege5 just hit the one-year make, I've been thinking of changing over to Mobil 1. I let the dealership do my oil changes because I trust them a little more then other place that does oil changes. I only have seen Mobil 1 Super Syn, which is a blend and not full synthetic. If I do find the full synthetic, which should I use 5w30 or 10w30 or something else?

10W-30 is alittle thick for a 4 Cyl. car. I would go 5W-30. Also just a hint to everyone out there its good to use natural not synthetic for the first couple changes of a cars life... i would say for the first 8K miles... it breaks in the motor alittle better, then switch over to Synthetic to keep it nice and smooth!

2003blkmp5 said:
Just a side note to the dealer thing, if you take it there you will get the stock oil filter which from what i hear is the best thing to use on any car! Keepin it fresh and clean clean! ;)

Not true! My dealership uses Penzoil filters. They suck, BTW.

I know it's a little bit of a drive but the Jiffy Lube in Carlsbad is good, I think it's just of off Palomar Rd. It's pretty close to the Carlsbad drag strip so they actually take care of car well.

Greg S said:
I know it's a little bit of a drive but the Jiffy Lube in Carlsbad is good, I think it's just of off Palomar Rd. It's pretty close to the Carlsbad drag strip so they actually take care of car well.

Thanks for the tip Greg.

Back