Mobil 1 0W-20: Performance or Fuel Economy?

I'd use the Mazda Moly oil. It's pretty close in cost.

Around me the dealers change over $8-11/quart. If I use this rebate, it comes out to $2-3/quart. In addition, to make up for the moly, LiquiMoly has a MOS2 additive that I can add. A bottle of this LiquiMoly cost $7 at the local Napa. Now I can add the entire thing, but because the factory fill already contains a good amount of moly in it, I can split it. With the LiquiMoly split it comes out to under $4/quart. Even if I go to our sponsor, the MAzda Moly oil comes out to $7-8/quart and I have to buy at least $150 worth to get the free shipping. I wouldn't mind spending extra for the OEM stuff, I just have a bunch of 0w20 in my garage already and I don't want to crowd the garage any further.

Around me the dealers change over $8-11/quart. If I use this rebate, it comes out to $2-3/quart. In addition, to make up for the moly, LiquiMoly has a MOS2 additive that I can add. A bottle of this LiquiMoly cost $7 at the local Napa. Now I can add the entire thing, but because the factory fill already contains a good amount of moly in it, I can split it. With the LiquiMoly split it comes out to under $4/quart. Even if I go to our sponsor, the MAzda Moly oil comes out to $7-8/quart and I have to buy at least $150 worth to get the free shipping. I wouldn't mind spending extra for the OEM stuff, I just have a bunch of 0w20 in my garage already and I don't want to crowd the garage any further.

That's insane. I think I pay $7ish a quart for it at my local dealer. I know the Med Mazda deal is a rip-off for me because I have to pay shipping, and taxes are cheaper than shipping and the sale price is similar.

I hope you watched them pouring the oil from the original container into your engine, Unobtanium. Otherwise I'd be really suspicious that they are using Masda- RECOMMENDED Castrol. Bulk variety, no less...

I hope you watched them pouring the oil from the original container into your engine, Unobtanium. Otherwise I'd be really suspicious that they are using Masda- RECOMMENDED Castrol. Bulk variety, no less...
Most Mazda dealers don't even use bulk Castrol. This is the oil my Mazda dealer uses: ;)

Town%252520North%252520Mazda%252520Oil-05_20151215.jpg

Most Mazda dealers don't even use bulk Castrol. This is the oil my Mazda dealer uses: ;)

Town%252520North%252520Mazda%252520Oil-05_20151215.jpg

The name doesn't inspire confidence. Sounds more like a dog food.

I have no idea how good it is but I imagine it's the cheapest formula they can use and still pass the GF-5 standards.

I'd use the Mazda Moly oil. It's pretty close in cost.
I agree. Even if I can get Mobil 1 for $2~3 a quart, assuming you'll get your rebate check after forever and go through all the hassles of cutting the plastic container and mailing the rebate form, I'm not going to try to save ~$25 for a oil change which only happens once for almost a year as I'm using Flexible Maintenance OCI. $25 can't even get me and my wife a decent meal nowadays!

BTW, my Mazda charges $6.88 per quart on Mazda moly oil at parts; $60 for oil change at service with Mazda moly oil by request.

I agree. Even if I can get Mobil 1 for $2~3 a quart, assuming you'll get your rebate check after forever and go through all the hassles of cutting the plastic container and mailing the rebate form, I'm not going to try to save ~$25 for a oil change which only happens once for almost a year as I'm using Flexible Maintenance OCI. $25 can't even get me and my wife a decent meal nowadays!

BTW, my Mazda charges $6.88 per quart on Mazda moly oil at parts; $60 for oil change at service with Mazda moly oil by request.

Actually this has an online rebate form, you just need to take a picture/screenshot of your receipt and submit it together with your information (name, email, address). I got the check in the mail about 6 weeks later. Pretty painless. I've been stocking up 0W-20 this way with Quaker State brand as well. Pretty nice for me as I have two cars running on 0W-20, I do the oil change myself, and I don't eat out much :)

In addition, to make up for the moly, LiquiMoly has a MOS2 additive that I can add. A bottle of this LiquiMoly cost $7 at the local Napa.

AFAIK, adding Moly yourself to an existing oil is not the same as an oil that's already formulated with Moly. That is why I get the OEM oil with Moly.

Royal purple OW-20, it works great for cx5. It is a expensive but I don't really care, I don't like Mobil 1, if I were you I go walmart buy Costrol OW-20 for 23 5QT

Actually this has an online rebate form, you just need to take a picture/screenshot of your receipt and submit it together with your information (name, email, address). I got the check in the mail about 6 weeks later. Pretty painless. I've been stocking up 0W-20 this way with Quaker State brand as well. Pretty nice for me as I have two cars running on 0W-20, I do the oil change myself, and I don't eat out much :)
No, I don't blame you trying to save money, and many people from younger generation wouldn't want to do so my kids included. After all, a penny saved is a penny earned. But look at the bigger picture. I change oil by myself by using Mazda moly oil and OEM filter. I can use flexible maintenance on OCI which could go up to 10,000 miles or 1 year. Even with longer OCI I don't void the new car and powertrain warranty. My labor is more valuable so I saved more on the labor and materials by changing oil less frequently. I also have less used oil coming out which is good to the environment. All of these I actually saved more money than most people do by using Mazda moly oil.

They billed me for Mazda Moly. They offered to sell it to me by the quart, and they have me check with them to see if it's in stock before they do my oil changes, as they say not everyone opts to use it, so they don't just keep cases of it there. What you are implying, is that they have gone to elaborate depths to commit fraud. Given their history and how they have treated me at this dealer, I do not feel that this is likely. Possible? Sure. But it would be a real s*** storm if they ever got busted, and this is not the kind of dealership that really cares. I live in one of the most affluent areas in America, and they are sammiched between BMW, Mercedes, and other such. They have a latte maker and free snacks and cokes, and all sorts of nice stuff. This dealership is all about image and experience, not some backwater penny-pinching "let's shave the margin by $2 per customer!" type operation. I've been there before, too.

Royal purple OW-20, it works great for cx5. It is a expensive but I don't really care, I don't like Mobil 1, if I were you I go walmart buy Costrol OW-20 for 23 5QT

I'm not a fan of RP or M1, as they both shear pretty badly. I'd buy Castrol before either of them. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is very good stuff with a strong add-pack, itself. Quaker state, I hate it because my father hates it. Every engine that he used it in was full of sludge when he performed a tear-down. Now, that is 20+ years ago, so I bet QS has improved/ fixed the issue...but I'm still not going there. YMMV

Yep. I think my oil changes run me about the same, give or take. 'it is what it is" in my book kindof. They are the only local Mazda dealer, and I like them, so whatever.

I'm not a fan of RP or M1, as they both shear pretty badly. I'd buy Castrol before either of them. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is very good stuff with a strong add-pack, itself. Quaker state, I hate it because my father hates it. Every engine that he used it in was full of sludge when he performed a tear-down. Now, that is 20+ years ago, so I bet QS has improved/ fixed the issue...but I'm still not going there. YMMV

Speaking of which, in addition to the Mobil 1 rebate, Pennzoil has a rebate going on as well.

At $2-3 a quart, the PP is a no brainer. Ordered two jugs.

My dealer uses Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 on all their Mazda's. Its what the dealer put in for our free oil change. I switched to the Mazda moly oil at $6.69 a quart to see what the fuss is about.

One thing I can confirm, there is no change in mileage, as some on here have claimed as high as a 5 mpg increase.

Back