Missing my pickup!

:
23 CX-5 Premium
I knew there would be days when I missed the Nissan Frontier that I sold to get into this CX-5. I need to transport an 8'x2' framed lattice panel from Home Depot to my house (not far) INSIDE the car. Anyone figured out a way to carry long objects and secure the tailgate over said object without screwing up the paint or bumper finish? Sure would have been nice if Mazda had thought to include a couple of tailgate hooks to strap to the latch strike on the lower sill. But, liability always seems to take precedent in our brave new world.

I have put 8' long material in the car with the tailgate closed, but nothing 2' wide. If you don't have more than one passenger, you may be able to run the passenger side seat fwd and fold it fwd, drop the passenger side rear seat and the center section and put the lattice inside with the tailgate closed. The only spot left for a passenger would be behind the driver :)

I have put 8' long material in the car with the tailgate closed, but nothing 2' wide. If you don't have more than one passenger, you may be able to run the passenger side seat fwd and fold it fwd, drop the passenger side rear seat and the center section and put the lattice inside with the tailgate closed. The only spot left for a passenger would be behind the driver :)
That only works if the lattice panel is 7' long. I'm a foot over that.

The Highlander has the hatch window that opens right up! Maybe trade in the CX-5 for that?

Kidding aside, how about just securing it to the roof rack? Or did you not get the roof rack...

I knew there would be days when I missed the Nissan Frontier that I sold to get into this CX-5.
You can borrow my pickup if you fill the tank.;)

It mostly just sits in front my house now. I got tired of it raping my wallet every time it's massive 36 gallon tank neared empty (which was far too often).

Last edited:
You can borrow my pickup if you fill the tank.;)

It mostly just sits in front my house now. I got tired of it raping my wallet every time it's massive 36 gallon tank neared empty (which was far too often).
My little Frontier was a great truck that never got less than 20 mpg. But it was a truck (which I needed for work) and, never being a "truck kinda guy" when I retired I decided to get back into something more civilized. Funny thing is, the utility that I gave up played a big part in my decision to get the CX-5. If I hadn't been so concerned about what I wouldn't be able to carry with something smaller, I probably would have bought a Subaru Imprezza, Ford Focus or waited for the new Mazda 3.

I haven't had a pickup but for a few years, but I can't imagine not having one at all now. It is almost necessity, especially with all of the DIY projects, working on and maintaining the house, the cars, etc. that I do.
I've got 72' LWB C-10. The bed is 8' long. I can haul nearly anything, and the 350ci and retardedly short gears pull and pull all day long.

Definitely understand your missing the Frontier. No way I could do without my truck.

In defence of the CX-5 I HAVE hauled some 6' lumber planks, soil, mulch and other long and hefty cargo, and it really performed just fine. :)

trailer.JPG

trailer2.JPG

www.jpsaos.com/jones/pics/trailer.JPG
www.jpsaos.com/jones/pics/trailer2.JPG

I had a Tacoma with a 6' bed and now with roof racks and a 4'8 Trailer I can carry just as much

Edit: for some reason my images are not showing up so just click on them

Last edited:
In defence of the CX-5 I HAVE hauled some 6' lumber planks, soil, mulch and other long and hefty cargo, and it really performed just fine. :)
Also in defense of CX-5 (and my choice to get it over one of the aforementioned 5-door hatches) I put plety of stuff in the back that I could never have gotten into an Imprezza or Focus, but they do have their limits. Sure wish Mazda had thought to make the front passenger seat fold over flat like so many others! BTW: I just came back from Home Depot where I rented their truck for $20 for 75 minutes. It was the lesser of the available evils.

Jonesey: Only two problems there. First, I hate the look of roof racks and second, I have no place to keep a cute little trailer like yours.

Back