misfire issues

mazdaRX

:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege, laser blue mica
I have been throwing a code that states I have Random Multiple Cylinder Misfires occurring. Car runs like crap so I am not running it.

I checked the spark plugs..not that great but I have seen worse. I am replacing them.
I am also going to replace the coils but autozone states I have 4 ignition coils but I only see 2 on top of the engine. Is that basically 2 put together to appear as 1?? Or are they wrong?

I checked for emission issues and that all checked out fine as my diagnostics computer will run through an emissions check also.

Any ideas on what it might be besides the coils and plugs?? The plugs are definitely due for a change as they were last changed at 35000 and I now have 73,000 miles.

The car acts like it is running on 3 cylinders and has about 15hp , or so it feels as the RPM's creep above 2k.

wow uh that sounds bad... were you driving hard when it started? sorta sounds like jumping timing...

No I typically don't drive hard as my 5yo son is usually with me in the car. It basically happened on my way back from the grocery store. I hope I don't need a new timing belt :( according to the service manual that due for a change but boy that is pricey. Thats a 750 dollar job at mazda and I don't how easy it is to do myself.

I read others with similar issues and It seams like its the coils. I will try that but now I wonder if stupid autozone has the right coils for it as they state I need 4 when I only have 2.

ah... that when the shittyness starts lol, but uh it may be your packs... although I cant remember any one else having problem with them... but if you buy them make sure the tech is looking up a MazdaSpeed... have the sales man turn the computer so you can see it... save ALOT of time and hassle... trust me.

Yes, we only have the two coils on top of the valve cover - the part number from autozone is C1340. To be honest though, if you have an Oreilly's, advanced auto, etc. around you somewhere, I would try there first. The last time I got coils from Autozone, the rubber boots were too big for the spark plug holes - you can put them in fine, but I ended up destroying the boots the next time I tried to take the coils off. They may have changed the design since then, but that's just a word of warning.

Your other option if you do get the coils at Autozone is to look for just the lower boot somewhere. You can find it online or at Oreilly's (which is where I got mine), but then you might as well go there in the first place to get your coils.

Edit: To the previous poster, the MSP doesn't use different coils from the regular 2.0L Protege.

Last edited:
Oh, and I just saw you're in Cincinatti, so I know you have O'Reilly's there. The ignition coil p/n from the is E427. They're a few bucks more than the Autozone coils, but they come with a lifetime warranty and a correctly sized boot.

Back