Minor crash..need some advice

Stewie

:
2002 P5
We had a storm up here a couple days ago...and of course with the snow brings icy roads. Of course there is always those people who think they are invincible, and drive like its the summer. Of course jsut so happens that I met one of these people at intersectsion and the dumbass slid into me. There wasnt really any major damage that i noticed at first so i didnt really care a couple of scratches but no real issue. Upon later inspection of the damage i noticed that the bumper on the drivers side was slightly out from where it was supposed to be. Can anyone help me out, and give me some advice to fix it?

Attachments

• 100_0932.JPG
    100_0932.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 674
  • 100_0935.JPG
    100_0935.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 690
  • 100_0931.JPG
    100_0931.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 594
  • 100_0930.JPG
    100_0930.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 670
Stewie said:
. Upon later inspection of the damage i noticed that the bumper on the drivers side was slightly out from where it was supposed to be. Can anyone help me out, and give me some advice to fix it?

Long answer, see the service manual: protege5.ugly.net

Short answer: That part of the bumper is held onto the fender above it by some screws. Either the fender part is bent down inside or one or more of the screws pulled through the bumper, so that it's hanging there supported from the front and partially by the wheel well cover. To see what the problem is exactly remove the wheel well cover on that side, or at least most of the front of it. If the screw pulled through you can ghetto patch it with a chunk of vinyl floor square or some washers.

My buddies dad paints so he is gunna respray the bumper for me in the spring after it warms up...so not really that big of a out of pocket except for the paint and such...bcuz i am an idiot i didnt get his info...but he really didnt stay long enough for me to get it, just kinda asked if i was ok and started to drive away...didnt notice the damage till i got back to school

Stewie said:
bcuz i am an idiot i didnt get his info...but he really didnt stay long enough for me to get it, just kinda asked if i was ok and started to drive away...

At which point you should have noted down his license plate number. It sounds like he had a reason not to stick around (ie, no license, or no insurance.)

You can never tell how much will need to be repaired until there has been a thorough inspection. There might be just a few scratches on the bumper cover, but underneath the foam may have been reduced to powder and the bumper itself bent.

Your life lesson from this: ALWAYS get the other driver's information!

yes i will definitly take this lesson seriously, if this ever happens again i will definitly get the persons info...but too late now my own problem

What intersection was it?

If worse came to worse there's camera's at most..

It doesn't look that bad from the pics.

I'd say a little body work and some new paint and you're good to go, if it was me I'd just do the work myself and then have it painted. From what I can see it doesn't look loose, just slightly bent a little..

Ya i took it over to my buddies house and his dad checked it out no real damage...bumper needs to be put back in place, and hes gunna paint it for me in the spring...and it was at Parkside Dr. (not the end by Smythe st)

Back