Midpipe vs. Midpipe + Catback?

Zhan

:
Titanium MSP, 94 Miata-R red
What are the gains of a larger diameter midpipe with a high-flow cat, like MAM's, versus such a midpipe plus a catback? And also what are the gains of stock everything but with a larger J-pipe?

larger j-pipe (alone) will see almost no gain.

an upgraded catback alone will yield 2-3 whp i think.

the downpipe (s-pipe) back to the catback is the portion of the exhaust that needs upgrading the most. then the catback and/or downpipe.

i'd upgrade the stock catback anyway just to get more of a growl from having upgraded the midpipe.

the stock midpipe has 2 cats with an o2 sensor inbetween them.... if im gonne replace the cats with 1 high flow, will it have a spot for the o2 sensor or will i have to keep that small section of pipe and then custom flange it out to a bigger size from that? or any links to purchase an already made midpipe with 1 high flow cat that is 2.5-3" size piping and has the hole for the o2 in it?

speedprotegewi said:
the stock midpipe has 2 cats with an o2 sensor inbetween them.... if im gonne replace the cats with 1 high flow, will it have a spot for the o2 sensor or will i have to keep that small section of pipe and then custom flange it out to a bigger size from that? or any links to purchase an already made midpipe with 1 high flow cat that is 2.5-3" size piping and has the hole for the o2 in it?

Chances are good that if a downpipe/midpipe comes with a high-flow cat, it will have an O2 bung already welded in.

I have the Apex 2.5" downpipe with a high-flow cat and I highly recommend it. It replaced both the J-pipe and Mid-pipe with one piece and really improved performance. (thumb)

Bah I really wish there was an aftermarket midpipe with a setup just like the one the MSP has. I want to retain a precat and primary cat. Is there no such thing as a high flow precat?

zverg said:
Bah I really wish there was an aftermarket midpipe with a setup just like the one the MSP has. I want to retain a precat and primary cat. Is there no such thing as a high flow precat?

Why on God's earth would you want to do that? (boom07)

Matrix said:
Why on God's earth would you want to do that? (boom07)

Because I don't like polluting. As much as it really has no measurable affect on anything, I feel obligated to at least try and do my part. It kills my inside right now when my car is warming up and I can smell the toxicity pouring out of my tailpipe.

(uhm) A good high-flow cat will work nearly just as well.

If you're looking to keep both cats, then don't bother upgrading at all.
Also, the car runs abnormally rich. You'd be best off getting a downpipe with high-flow cat and then getting EMS to lean out the fuel delivery a bit. This will reduce emissions and keep your conscience clear. (thumb)

zverg said:
Because I don't like polluting. As much as it really has no measurable affect on anything, I feel obligated to at least try and do my part. It kills my inside right now when my car is warming up and I can smell the toxicity pouring out of my tailpipe.

Your car is killing us all.........

warrier04 said:
larger j-pipe (alone) will see almost no gain.

an upgraded catback alone will yield 2-3 whp i think.

the downpipe (s-pipe) back to the catback is the portion of the exhaust that needs upgrading the most. then the catback and/or downpipe.

i'd upgrade the stock catback anyway just to get more of a growl from having upgraded the midpipe.
I see. Would putting on the catback see more gains if I already have a bigger midpipe, or no?

I'm asking because I'm degrading :)() from my current electronic cut-out setup (http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123617336) because I can't open it up for autocross and I don't really feel like pushing it on the street anymore. I don't want to lose too much of the power... nor the sound, but I don't want to pay so much for a catback for only 2-3 whp.

Boston5761 said:
Your car is killing us all.........

Damn you, now I'm gonna go cry (cryhard).

My understanding of the pre-cat was that it was a different catalyst that worked at lower engine temperatures (temperatures where the primary cat would be largely ineffective.

I do agree though that I need to lean out my car, I drive a P5 not a MSP but it's at least as bad. I can't do anything to keep my exhaust tip from becoming blackened. Luckily the Racing Beat catback has a dual layer tip so the chromed-out part doesn't get black.

I haven't done testing to see if the MP3 ECU changed this at all, I doubt it though :p

By comparison, my friend's 04 Tiburon has an exhaust that hasn't become blackened AT ALL in the 1 year + since the cat-back was installed. I don't know if he has any cats or anything either. It's still shiny steel on the inside of the tip.

One of these days I'll get around to fuel tuning on my car so that I can get every last drop of performance out of my wee little engine.

Zhan said:
I see. Would putting on the catback see more gains if I already have a bigger midpipe, or no?

I'm asking because I'm degrading :)() from my current electronic cut-out setup (http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123617336) because I can't open it up for autocross and I don't really feel like pushing it on the street anymore. I don't want to lose too much of the power... nor the sound, but I don't want to pay so much for a catback for only 2-3 whp.

the catback combined with an upgraded midpipe will yield total gains of about 10-15 total hp.

i think you should look into getting the full corksport exhaust - it's a true turboback, and many have seen great gains.

also check out the vibrant exhaust. not a true turboback, but a downpipe back exhaust if i remember correctly.

don't worry about your car polluting...we need to look at these damn 3rd world countries that have no environmental laws what so ever.

warrier04 said:
the catback combined with an upgraded midpipe will yield total gains of about 10-15 total hp.
Well say I have an aftermarket midpipe. If I add a catback to that, will I see much gain over the midpipe, or will it be the same 2-3 whp increase?

I've tried several different combos:
1 - 2.5" mid-pipe w/ hiflow cat + oem catback (RB muffler, than MS round muffler)
2 - 2.5" mid-pipe w/ hiflow cat + 2.5" custom pipes + 3" axelback
3 - OEM mid-pipe 2 cats + 2.5" custom pipes + 3" axelback
4 - OEM mid-pipe 2 cats + 60mm Racing Beat catback (true mandrel bends)

By far I prefer my last setup! (no. #4) :) Very smooth power delivery. The mi-pipe gives more torque at lower RPM at the expense of drivability. The no. 2 setup was loud as hell, felt good though. By putting back the OEM cats I was expecting the car to be sluggish, but to my surprize it felt quite good! Then with the RB catback it felt even better. I think the smoothness of the pipes is more important than the size. The RB catback is wort every penny to me (and some more), right size, very nice sound (not loud) and no DRONE!!
And, as a bonus, it's 100% legal!

That setup works for me, just sharing my personal findings (no dyno stuff here!) ;)

Zhan said:
Well say I have an aftermarket midpipe. If I add a catback to that, will I see much gain over the midpipe, or will it be the same 2-3 whp increase?

you will see more of an increase, but not by a huge difference. i understood your question before, but idk the exact figures.

Flyin:
The racing beat catback in the 4th setup, is that the OEM racing beat pipes or some aftermarket product? And so the OEM midpipe was (felt) stronger than the 2.5" midpipe?

Warrier:
Ah okay. I'll do some searching and maybe something will come up.

Notorious_V.I.C said:
I went to MAM's website and it had the catless mid pipe for $99! yep, just wanted to let you know
Yeah I'm planning on getting the catted version because I need one cat for STX. Otherwise, man, I'd jump all over the $99 one!

And nevermind on the catback thing. Someone's selling an entire Corksport exhaust very cheap because the midpipe is cracked, and I thought that I could just use the catback portion... But I just happened upon some pics and found out that it doesn't quite bolt up to the stock midpipe. And I don't think I'll spend $400 for a new catback for only like 5hp.

Well thanks for the help anyways. :)

Back