Miata Owners: Opinion Needed

PasteyP5

:
2003 Protege 5
Hello to all Miata owners. I have just acquired a 1992 MX-5 with a hardtop. Ive never researched this car until now. The first thing to replace on the car is the suspension, both shocks and springs. I have looked online and there are a few options. 1. The Tokico HP handling kit, which is Tokico HP's and Tokico springs which is $389USD. 2. The Flyin Miata Stage one kit which is comprimised of FM springs and KYB Gas Shocks, for $590USD. The other alternative is some Eibach springs and a Tokico or KYB combo., or maybe Racing Beat? I just put the Eibach springs in my 03 P5 and am extremely pleased with them. The ride is better than factory and it handles like it is on rails. Any opinions here would be great. What im looking for is a nice ride, with a lower stance. I dont want to break the bank and dont want to go coilover. I may also AutoX it in the near future. Any suggestions here would be muchly appreciated. Plus if there is any other setups that you know of that are good I would love to know.

B

I can't provide any help regarding springs, but you might want to take a look at the KYB AGX 8-position adjustable (rebound and compression together) struts. I've had mine installed for over a year and have no complaints whatsoever. They provide enough stiffness for autocrossing yet on a lower setting provide a smooth and comfortable ride.

I second the KYB AGX shocks, I don't personally have them but Natey has them and pretty much EVERYTHING I've read about them has had good things to say. Also you might want to look at the Racing Beat Miata stuff since the Racing Beat Miata holds the Sport Compact Car skidpad record of 1.1G beating out such measly cars as the Ferarri F360 and Nissan Skyline GTR.

I've driven the Flyin Miata stage 2 kit; it oversteers like mad as delivered. You might be able to get away from that by not installing the rear swaybar that comes with the kit, or even removing the stock swaybar.

I have to say that at least on my '99, Koni shocks and a stiffer front swaybar with stock springs works great!

Since you say you might be insterested in autocrossing, you should seriously consider getting shocks and keeping the stock springs. That will allow you to run in stock class, assuming you haven't done anthing else to bump yourself out of the class.

Non-stock springs will send you to STS2 (a provisional class which may or may not become permanent or go away in the next few years). That's not a bad place for a '92 Miata, assuming that you can get the suspension sorted out and are willing to perform some other modifications like intake & exhaust headers.

Last edited:
Thanx for all the input. The major reason I am replacing the suspension is because the passenger side rear spring is cracked near the lower perch. It's not sagging yet, but definetely not safe for long. I thought while the springs are out I may as well do the struts at the same time. The little bit of info on the Racing Beat springs is very interesting and Im gonna look into that for sure. I have been told that I definetely dont want to do stiffer sway bars etc as well if I plan to autoX it, or do any local track racing, as that would make it way to rigid, and at least a little bit of chassis flex is a good thing. Its not going to be a daily driver, I have an 03 P5 for that, which has the Eibach springs in it. Man, those springs actually improved the ride over stock in my opinion. Also gave me a really low stance, not something Eibach is known for. Well thanx for all the input and keep it coming. I could not have imagined owning and modifying cars 10 years ago when these forums did not exist.

B

KYB AGX's and GC coilovers..

I've cot the combo listed above, and while I don't have a comparison to anything but stock, I absolutely love it. I had it the GCs as far down as they'd go at first, but that's beyond the limits of travel for the rear shocks. Raising the front by 1.5 inches off the floor and the back 1 inch (with both at rock bottom, there was a 1/2 inch rake that I wanted to get ride of) you can still get full travel of the shocks. setting it full soft makes for a cushy ride, even in the construction riddled areas of denver, and on full hard, there seems to be little to no roll, and no brake dive at all, which is amazing to me.

and someone above mentioned ebay for the KYBs.. that's a good route to go, if you have the time and patience. on rare occassion, you can find the GC kit for the KYBs also on ebay.

Back