Metallic noise from engine

parjanic

:
2003 Protege5
I had left my car running to check my mail at the post office, and when I came back, there was a rather loud sound coming from the engine. It kinda sounded like metal scraping against metal.

I've got an '03 P5 and I'm at a complete loss when it comes to car know-how. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or has had a similar experience?

Well, I'm due for an oil change in the next couple of days so I'll have them take a look at it while it's in. Only problem is that the sound only lasted for a few seconds so I'm not sure if it will make the noise again for a mechanic.

No, it's definitely not a clunking noise and it's not loud enough to be heard from inside with the music on.

Does the car still run OK ? If you had the VICS screw issue posted above you probably would be running like total crap as it generally folds up one of your spark plugs and runs really rough. I guess you could have got lucky and bent one up though...........

Protephile said:

omg thanks
how could i have missed that thread?

my car has that exact problem. It disapeared for winter and now its back with the CEL light back on. was going to bring it to a local shop but i guess i'll try getting it fixed for free.

weee i found another thing to add to my sig :)

Last edited:
Yea, car still runs good. I'm trying to make sure the car stays in good condition while I save up to turbo it.

Don't get completely comfortable, you are not totally clear from the VICS mess. Mine wasn't part of the recall either but I still ran into the screw problem. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check yours out and loctite em yourself.

Tasty said:
Thank you! I registered. Pretty cool just to see maintenance intervals and such on the net, but reassuring to see no recalls out on my ride. I've always been nervous about that VICS crap.

Back