Metal (i think) on I-20

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
Driving home......making good time.......25 miles left out of a 225 mile trip.....traveling behind an 18 wheeler.......OH NO.....I can't dodge it....cars around me......BANG. I hit a piece of metal in the road. I knew it blew the tire so I pulled over and started changing it. About 10 minutes later (i'm almost finished) my brother-in-law pulls up in front of me. I explain what happened and he notices the back tire is flat too. I blew both tires on the passenger side. We take the tire off and drive to a Walmart close by for a new tire. As I walk in, I notice that this was a wasted trip b/c my rim is warped. I've never seen a rim like this. We go back to the car and notice both rims are screwed.

$108 bucks and an uncomfortable ride in a tow truck later---my car sits in my driveway w/ a flat and a spare.

(cool) or not!

Last edited:
that sucks....things are always on the road when its impossible to swerve away..I hit a hubcap the other day although thats nothing compared to your story.

i was actually on I-20 one night in columbia, sc at about 1am and saw an object in the road about 500ft ahead. i thought it was a plastic bag like from wal-mart or something so i moved my car to drive right over the middle of it. well as i got closer it got bigger and before i knew it i had hit it dead on. i was doing about 90 in a 70 and didn't really have much time to react or to go anywhere. there wasn't anyone else on the road nearby. i just so happened to hit a folded up tarp that had fallen off of an 18-wheeler. it cracked my front bumper, melted some plastic to the bottom of my engine, broke both of my fog lights and my front and left side neons, bent my left half shaft and broke my shift linkage. was about 3000 bucks in damage. luckily the next car to pass was a cop. he called a tow truck for me and i put the tarp in the trunk. got home and opened up this HUGE tarp in my parents front yard and found a name and number on it. we called and the ppl paid for everything with no questions asked. it was boyd brothers trucking btw. and this wasn't in my MSP, it was in my 99 sentra sel with the redtop sr20 motor. really sucked cuz all sorts of s*** started happening after that and it finally became easier to finance a new car than to keep paying to fix the sr20, so i sold it and got my new baby. anyways, i'll shutup now, sorry to hear about your car man

edit...i moved my car so that i would drive the middle of the car over it, not sure if i made that clear up there....not that it really matters how i hit the damn thing

Yeah, I hate it that people have crap fall into the road and they do nothing about it. That Trucking company could have caused someone to crash and die. That cannot be repaid.

s*** happens...last sunday, coming home from st. augustine on I-95...i'm doing like 75mph behind an 18-wheeler...and BOOM!!! dude's tire blew...i start doing evasive maneuvers but i stiLL get hit from the shards...good thing the shreds didnt hit me on the fly...aLL i got were some massive rubber markings on the front bumper...i was pissed tho cuz i just put in my injen CAI and my racing beat cat back 2 days prior to the incident...in any event, sorry about your car...

Last edited:
Sucks...
just yesterday, I was doing about 60 and the car in front of me jumps to the right...I quickly followed suit...the reason? A friggin 7 foot christmas tree, just laying there in the exit lane of a 4-5 lane (in one direction) road...
close call; sucks about your car though

i swear gotta do something about theses idiots not properly securing items on their vehicles. it caused a few people 2 die a few months ago when a p/u dropped a rather large box on the freeway. the woman behind apparently did not know how 2 evasive manuver (or she had no space 2 manuver) and caused a major accident resulting in, yes...death of, i believe, a child and someone else. (it's been so long, don't remember who died and how many were involved). there should b a nice fine and then some!

scott42 said:
A friggin 7 foot christmas tree, just laying there in the exit lane of a 4-5 lane (in one direction) road...
Haha. The question is, did the owner of the tree have no idea that the tree was no longer on the car? Imagine getting home and realizing the tree is gone. Not too bright.

I hit a 4"x10" lawnscaping brick on the freeway doing ~70mph... it had dropped from a truck I was behind. 2 18" Toyo Proxes FZ4 tires blown, one TSW VX1 wheel bent. it sucks.

That does blow, least here there has been a large amount of trash with the high winds and such.

But worst story I've heard was when my high school college about 7years ago was bring a crew boat up from Flordia. A former womens olympic 8 person boat, probably about 70 feet long. The straps that were holding it down broke for some unkown reason and flew off the trailer, went probably 30 feet in the air and hit the highway blocking all lanes. Everyone stopped including a 18-wheeler who was right behind him. They were all out getting ready to pick it up (only weighed about 100 pounds) when a idiot coming up went into the shoulder to get around traffic, thought it was a blue tarp and bam tore right through it. Took his whole front clip off, bent the hood etc.
He tried to blam the coach which true ya it is the crews insurance that should have been responsbile....expect the guy was driving in a shoulder and not in a travel lane. Therefore the police charged him, his insurance had to pay...for a $90,000 one of a kind.

---
That and way back when I was young going to Disney World we hit a piece of metal that blew a tire, while changing that another car hit the same piece, then another car before they were finally able to snag out of the road.

airzoomgp said:
s*** happens...last sunday, coming home from st. augustine on I-95...i'm doing like 75mph behind an 18-wheeler...and BOOM!!! dude's tire blew...i start doing evasive maneuvers but i stiLL get hit from the shards...good thing the shreds didnt hit me on the fly...aLL i got were some massive rubber markings on the front bumper...i was pissed tho cuz i just put in my injen CAI and my racing beat cat back 2 days prior to the incident...in any event, sorry about your car...
Same exact thing happen to me...only i was right beside the 18 wheeler when the tire blew, and it flew into my fender leaving a nice dent and taking out the side marker! Good times :)

Damnit, that sucks.

Especially because saturday I was driving over to my brothers house to install my new wheels and there was a custom frog green metallic ford explorer at about my 2 O'clock on I-85 I was just laughing at his hidious ride and oversized wheels when he swerves hard to the right and off the sholder. Before I could react a 5 gallon bucket comes flying towards the front of my car and WHAM, I hit it. It flew almost 15 feet high and off to the side of the highway. I got lucky that the bucket was empty and there was no major damange, but man if I had seen who's truck it came out of they would have been buying me a new bumper.

REMillers said:
Therefore the police charged him, his insurance had to pay...for a $90,000 one of a kind.

That would be assuming he had at least 90k in property damage insurance. HAHA

hehe true, never knew if they got the full value back or not since I left shortly after that. But he was probably suprised when they found out the value of the boat, and could have been more since it was a one of a kind Olympic shell.

"Oh I thought it was a banner.." (shrug)

Ouch, junk on the road hurts. But the rules for most states anyways is:

If there's junk on the road, whoever put it there is responsible for damages.

If you hit a farm animal, the farmer pays.

If you see something fall off a truck, GET THE PLATE # and hit 911, junk flying off vehicles causes deadly accidents every day. It's often considered criminal negligence, since it's putting other peoples' lives in danger.

28 years ago my folks were whacked by a 4x8 sheet of plywood on I-5 a couple hours after they were married and on their way to the honeymoon... lived through it, even though they were driving a Pinto (lol2) but they were lucky.

Man that sucks so bad! I got lucky the other night when i ran over a armidillo (sp) going back to school in Huntsville Tx from Austin Tx. It scared the s*** out of me! but luckly didnt do any damage!

We had a pinto when I was a kid. Pulling up to school in the mean green machine was some of the most humiliating things of my preteen life.

the good ol days

I had a very close call once. A rock hauler a couple hundred feet ahead dropped a rock about half the size of a brick onto the road. I was going about 70 mph, and the rock bounces off the road and hits the windshield right in front of my face. I'm very lucky that windshield held up!

-Matt

Well my story is a little different but here goes. I was driving to lunch today on I-225. I get off the exit (bridge that goes over the freeway to a light with walls on both sides) I'm behind a 2005 trailblazer as we come around a blind curve. Well some guy is stopped in the middle of the road. We both hit our brakes, well I ended up bumping the guy at like 3 mph. Trailblazer was fine. I cracked my bumper and put a crease in the hood(all fixable things when you work in a shop) Then to top it off i was at McDonalds and as i walked out my bag tore, so i tried to catch it and spilt a whole coke on myself. Man this was a rough day....well atleast now I have and excuse to do a MSP conversion!!

Back