Mental Addiction Short Block

ddogg777

:
2002 Yellow P5
I decided to take some pictures of the machining process that the short blocks go through when you order one through Mental Addiction Motorsports.
This first image is the block mounted in the boring machine. All four bores will be bored and honed in a center line. This is important because my block had one cylinder off center--this process corrected it.

Attachments

• IMGP0071.JPG
    IMGP0071.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 262
In these pics you can see the honing job. I had my deck milled and fitted with an o-ring for my copper head gasket--the oringing would be an additional charge.

Attachments

• IMGP0073.JPG
    IMGP0073.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMGP0074.JPG
    IMGP0074.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 191
Here you can see where the thrust bearing cap has been machined to accept a top thrust tang. This tang provides extra surface area to support the crankshaft as you upgrade your pressure plate/clutch (crankwalk). You can also see that the oil ports are chamfered. The casting flash on the inside of the block is still visible in this picture, but it will be removed by the machinist.

And notice the ARP hardware. :D

Attachments

• IMGP0072.JPG
    IMGP0072.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Mental Addiction?

That is a great name for a machine shop, I love it!

After all the machining is completed, the blocks are taken out back to the hot tank (a giant dishwasher) where all the brass and block plugs are removed and then the block is washed with hot solvent. New plugs are then put in.

Last edited:
Back