melted wiring harness

yello_p5

:
2002 Yellow Mazda Progege5
Hey all.
I've managed to melt both lowbeam wiring harnesses so i'm now driving with pretty much just the fogs. I was just curious as to whether this is a simple DIY or if i need to take it in to mazda to have them fix it. Your feedback is much appreciated. thx

You were using higher wattage bulbs than stock, weren't you? Depending on how much wire is damaged you could just replace those specific sections, or you can go to a junkyard and get the sections from a car there. Remember, the P5 and the sedans have different lights, so get the correct one for ease of replacement. If you decide to just splice in the wire yourself, remember to get proper automotive wire, household stuff won't hold up to the temperature changes and vibration under the hood.

If you are comfortable splicing in wire and soldering and weather sealing it, go for it, if not, just take it in somewhere.

they burned out at different times. my front right burned out at first when i was on razos... but after i saw that damage, i changed the remaining light back to stock... and that one ended up melting the other day.

the junkyard is always an option, but could i just go into mazda and buy the harness and those sockets the bulb plugs into?

I looked online and it doesn't look like you can just buy the section you need, at least not from the onlinemazdaparts.com site, you can only get the whole wiring harness. Your best bet would be to either call or go into your local dealer.

Your best bet would be to either call or go into your local dealer.

+1. More than likely you'll have to buy the entire harness at the dealer. Bite the bullet and pay their ridiculous prices. When you're dealing with harnesses, don't go the auto-recycler route.

get lights fixed asap

I could have been slapped with a 600+ ticket last year when I drove to TO from Montreal. I had multiple bulbs burned out though but headlights were the main reason he pulled me over

the cop was extra nice and gave me 100 ticket instead

You could also look in your yellow pages under "automotive electrical" or similar category, some shop should probably be able to fix the melted wiring properly for a fraction of the cost of the wiring harness from the dealer.

happened to me under 2 yrs ago. took mine to a small shop by my work place and i think it was like 50 -60 bucks. and my bulbs were stock wattage. to be on the safe side, buy the hd connectors, plug it in and if you burn it out change the bulbs, i had to. on my 2nd set of hd connectors. btw what bulbs are you using?

Latest posts

Back