Melted Piston (56k IF it has the lube, but don't try dry.)

Maxx Mazda

Resident Asshole
Contributor
:
Completely Stock P5
Yup. #4 went lean after spiking to 12psi. Will be replaced with the Arias / Pauter combo. Melted the piston, (IIRC EGT was approaching 1400* after turbo) and then oil rushed up into the cylinder. All this at 6000RPM. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did to be honest. As you can see, the head will need a bit of polishing, there's some of the piston melted to it if you look close. And the cylinder walls are scored, but I'm going .020" over anyway, so no problemo. Anywho, on to the pics.

Attachments

• DSC02068.JPG
    DSC02068.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC02069.JPG
    DSC02069.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC02075.JPG
    DSC02075.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC02076.JPG
    DSC02076.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC02078.JPG
    DSC02078.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
wow. atleast you gonna have a better motor after its all done.

if it were me, i'd be s*** outta luck. had to park the car for a few weeks to gather some cash.

She will be stronger and faster!

But after she is, you kknow you're gonna have to ditch that FMU, right? :)

As always, I'll help you out any way i can.

Ya, thanks guys. Running a TB03 60 Trim. Looks liek that cylinder just leaned out a tad too much. Oh well, could have been worse. For engine management, I'll be running a Split Second AFC II. I've got it under my bed somewhere...

Sorry I missed your calls last night bro. If you need a hand with the rebuild let me know.

You were running 10-12 psi with no ems!? Were you kinda pushing for this to happen? Anyway, good luck, you have alot of patience it seems.

Jaysanooch said:
You were running 10-12 psi with no ems!? Were you kinda pushing for this to happen? Anyway, good luck, you have alot of patience it seems.

Ya, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did to be honest. Oh well, we'll get it running 22psi next LOL! Yeah right. My goal is 14psi daily, and 18 at the track. Should be good for about 350HP On 18psi. Maybe more.

Btw engine has 99,996Km on it. Wierd, hey? 4KM short of 100,000...

Maxx Mazda said:
Ya, thanks guys. Running a TB03 60 Trim. Looks liek that cylinder just leaned out a tad too much. Oh well, could have been worse. For engine management, I'll be running a Split Second AFC II. I've got it under my bed somewhere...

maybe you should get your injectors flow tested....that injector could be flowing less than it should....adding to the lean condition.w

prolly too much ignition also helped in the meltdown.
Our proyect already touched 297whp @ 15psi and 14deg ignition advance on stock pistons...so stock pistons are ok. Hiboost did 22psi on them.

ok, WHAT?!?
boosting on stock 15 psi and pushing 297?

can you talk a little bit more about how you accomplish this, please?
maybe a link, pictures, videos...

i hope is true!

igdrasil said:
prolly too much ignition also helped in the meltdown.
Our proyect already touched 297whp @ 15psi and 14deg ignition advance on stock pistons...so stock pistons are ok. Hiboost did 22psi on them.

Alejo_NIN said:
ok, WHAT?!?

i hope is true!

Joka from this forum ran 22psi on stock internals for almost a year. It all has to do with tune guys...

Alejo_NIN said:
ok, WHAT?!?

i hope is true!

Well, i just finished the video, but i left the dyno before the tunner finished the program on the Wolf 3D...had to go to work; it was running 162whp @ 12psi aprox on the autometer gauge, I dont have any logs yet. Still gathering all possible info - screenshots, pics and vids before starting a Wolf 3D EMS thread. Next week will try to go to dyno again.

I already posted the dyno video here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123646095

Ran Lean

sound like a pattern maby. this guy is on his second super charger and was equiped for 93 octain gas and higher bost with a piggy back ecu. but the ecu never came. so it "should have been fine" as long as he didint beat it. but he did. so this almost looks identical to what you have done.

Attachments

• PDRM0097.JPG
    PDRM0097.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 84
  • PDRM0096.JPG
    PDRM0096.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 63
  • PDRM0085.JPG
    PDRM0085.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 58
Back