Megan Racing exhaust sound

89protege5red

:
2002 mazda protege5
I have a Megan Racing catback exhaust on my pro5 and recently I noticed that when im driving it doesnt sound as deep as it used to. Any ideas on why that would be? The resonator finally going bad or maybe the muffler? I had it check at a local shop and there werent any leaks in the system. (scratch)

usually with cheaper mufflers, the fiberglass packing inside of it tends to deteriorate after a while. So it is probably the muffler. I had a magnaflow that was very quiet at first, but a few weeks later, became much louder.

Well the system came as a whole so I assume I should prolly just order a new muffler? I can get the exact same muffler from ebay that came with the system when I bought it. part numbers match too. think that would take care of it?

You could, but eventually it might end up sounding the same. All depends how much you care about the sound. Which muffler are you looking at?

Alternatively, you could try a longer resonator (making it more quiet/possibly deeper), or another muffler altogether. Right now, I have a magnaflow catback and it is relatively deep and quiet. You could buy a universal one and add a tip you like.

well i was just looking at getting the same muffler and having a shop weld it on. I liked the sound it had and I have an SLS catless midpipe in the mail right now. I have had the exhaust for almost 4 years, plus these Iowa winters do some damage on pretty much every part of my car. a new muffler is only 89 bucks shipped anyway so its not terrible to replace

Latest posts

Back