Mazdaspeed6 Clutch Fix TSB

It takes a week!?
**** that... The clutch isn't actually faulty though is it? It's not damaging the car or anything right? It's just if you want it done right?

Dont know about damaging.... but yes the clutch is faulty, or they wouldn't be doin $1,400 worth of work for free.

Before I had mine replaced it really felt like something could break, so I would say it's a reasonable assumption that some other damage could occur.

Let me stress the point: they will/ should give you a loaner for that week, so im not sure if you're concerned about a lack of transportation or being wihtout your baby (trust me i hated it to) but think about it....a free clutch which is gonna wear out eventually anyway....

They all pretty much have powertrain warranties, I'm just talking about the YEAR of the car.... because I thought someone told me that the 100k warranty was only for 2008+ models as people like me with a 2006 speed6 and others with a 2007 speed6 have reported their factory warranty is much less. (like 50 or 60k)

You're right. Either my service rep didn't know specifically or Mazda extended it (unlikely) but 06's have a 4yr or 50k powertrain... got it from an archived article from MotorTrend @

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0602_midsize_awd_sedan_comparison/specs_price.html

You're right. Either my service rep didn't know specifically or Mazda extended it (unlikely) but 06's have a 4yr or 50k powertrain... got it from an archived article from MotorTrend @

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0602_midsize_awd_sedan_comparison/specs_price.html

Yeah that kind of made me wonder if you got a special mazda deal, or they set you up with an extended warranty like my ex had done with her '05 mazda6.... Oh and I wouldn't trust the service reps too much, half the time they don't know about TSBs, I'm really not sure if there's a C type, but I can ask my friend (in the parts department) to check for me.

It takes a week!?
**** that... The clutch isn't actually faulty though is it? It's not damaging the car or anything right? It's just if you want it done right?

Not necessarily, my car only took 2 days, from the day I dropped it off (they started working on it same day) and from the time I picked it up. It did take 2 days for them to order the parts though. I didn't drop it off and wait, I had the service rep order the parts and then I brought the car in. But yeah.... no dealer has EVERY single part in existence in stock, so it takes some time for them to order the parts before they can do the installation, ya know?

As far as damage is, there's not really any "damage" in the way you might be thinking, mazda says it's a TSB because of the higher positioning of the pedal it makes the engagement higher than most manual cars, and thus people are not use to it. If it caused damage then it would more likely be a recall, and not a TSB, and everyone would be able to get it done, regardless of mileage. :(

Ok im gonna start calling dealers tomarrow. Should I go straight to the service rep? I know they are gonna say its normal or for me to bring it in and take a look. But most of these dealers are over an hour away so I want to know on the phone if the tsb is possible.

Ok im gonna start calling dealers tomarrow. Should I go straight to the service rep? I know they are gonna say its normal or for me to bring it in and take a look. But most of these dealers are over an hour away so I want to know on the phone if the tsb is possible.

if they tell you it's normal then correct them. Tell them how valet's ALWAYS stall your car when you go to a restaurant or hotel, etc.... and other things, you can even tell them something like I did (which was true in my case) I told them my father is 58 years old and hasn't had an automatic since like 1988 and he even stalled my car the first 2 times he got in it.

The service rep was an older guy so he kind of gave me a double take like "what really?!" and I told him about the TSB and then he ordered the parts for me, etc.

if they tell you it's normal then correct them. Tell them how valet's ALWAYS stall your car when you go to a restaurant or hotel, etc.... and other things, you can even tell them something like I did (which was true in my case) I told them my father is 58 years old and hasn't had an automatic since like 1988 and he even stalled my car the first 2 times he got in it.

The service rep was an older guy so he kind of gave me a double take like "what really?!" and I told him about the TSB and then he ordered the parts for me, etc.

You kinda lucked out with your turn time on that then. My rep said I couldn't come back and get the car while they were waiting on a part to come in. To be fair though, i dropped it off on a Fri and got it back the next Thurs, and they were super busy...so yeah case by case.

Well it would have been about a week had I just left the car there... since they had to order the parts (2 days) then install the parts (2 days) so it could have taken me 4 to 5 days if I had dropped it off, but I told the service rep cause he knows me and I've been there a lot I said "look I don't wanna leave my car here for a week, or probably 2, can't they order the parts and then have me bring the car in?" and he did it for me. I had been getting my oil changes and stuff done there with mine and the Ex's cars.... he no longer works there so I no longer go there... but yeah he did that for me, lol

Ok just called 2 dealers. One didnt even know what a Mazdaspeed was... The other one said that they have never had one car with a problem with the clutch. Hmmm

Dropped mine off today...2 day fix. Mine will be the full clutch, assembly and pedal. Didn't drop mine off until all parts were at the dealership. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to take mine in for any work.

New clutch didn't solve my problem. Dealer said the clutch is working great, much improved, but they still can't figure out why the car is still stalling. New Mass Air flow system is going in today, so we will see.

This forum rocks! Thank you to all who contributed to this thread...I read all 30+ pages and credit it for helping me achieve the results described below.

In order to relay as much info as possible I am providing many details...sorry in advance if its excessive. Mazdaspeeeed6 & Qwik6 not sure if you have had luck yet, but this might be worth a read given what I saw in your posts.

I am having the full clutch TSB done today/tomorrow on an VIN type A 06 MS6 with a little over 57k mi on it (post factory warranty on the whole car) and Net-net am only paying for the clutch plate (under $200).

I purchased in Sept 06 and during my first and second services had issues similar to the ones the Koenig mentions in earlier posts. It was difficult to get into 2nd gear, esp. during really "spirited" driving. I also made mention of the fact the clutch felt oddly hard to operate, and thankfully the dealership documented this (although somewhat vaguely) in my invoices, their answer being that everything was functioning as designed. These visits were made in Nov & Dec 06, 4 months b/f the TSB was released for the clutch.

Fast forward to Sept 08 coming home from a long road trip, 600+ mi and 6th gear started to slip when passing at 100+mph...I considered this odd and had hoped it was an isolated incident. I had another 600 mi drive the next month and at 200mi 5th and 6th were slipping under heavy torque. I am not an abusive driver and have never destroyed a clutch in 15 years of driving. I started to feel concerned about the situation knowing that sooner or later I was going to pay a lot of money to fix something that was poorly designed from the factory and later clearly admitted to but never informed of.

After reading about the TSB in this strand I went to the dealer, who I patronized every 5K mi since moving to the area, and asked about the TSB, telling them I learned of it from a friend and had drove his 06 MS 6 the week prior, and noticed it felt like a totally different (and better) car. I asked to have the tech drive my car and note on my record that the clutch was letting out high and hard to drive (which he agreed that it did do) and asked they document the fact there was a TSB to address it. At the dealership they told me that they could not help but to call Mazda USA.

I called Mazda USA and told them I had this problem when I first bought the car, took it to the dealer I purchased it from and that I was fobbed off and basically told I was crazy (not the same dealer I use now). I made the point that after those interactions I stopped complaining and had no way of knowing about the TSB released 4 months later b/c I loved my car and wasnt looking to lemon law it and was tired of hearing I was nuts, so I stopped complaining and just accepted it. I was not shy in letting them know that we have many Mazda products in our family (RX-8, Protg, Miata) and would like to continue doing business with them. I also thankfully I had 2 receipts that mentioned something in general about the clutch and faxed it to Mazda USA. Within 24 hrs Mazda called my current dealer who verified that I was a regular there, serviced my car religiously, and didnt abuse my car (and I do have some light modsaftermarket intercooler, intake, exhaust, test pipe). Within 48 hrs Mazda authorized them to do the TSB so long as I paid for the clutch plate (which is fairit is a wear item and I used it for 57k mi).

I am not sure which of these factors (or which combinations of them) proved to be the tipping point, but it worked and kudos to Mazda for seeing this through and the dealership for going to bat for me. If you are in my position warranty/mileage-wise and if any of these factors apply to you, make sure you use themas many posts have said before the dealer makes all of the difference. The dealer I patronize in Hamilton NJ has a specific tech that has done several of these TSBs and overall the service people are great. I really cant say enough good things about these guys; even when just in for general service. I dont mean to sound like a commercial but from me this is a huge compliment...I was a service writer/sales person/mechanic many years ago and know how difficult it is to find people who are not just nice but competent and trustworthy also. In short I am very critical about the people who touch my car.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow and hope to have the same reaction as many of those who have already done the TSB for A VIN cars.

Good luck to all on this issue and please feel free to hit me up with questions if I can help.

This forum rocks! Thank you to all who contributed to this thread...I read all 30+ pages and credit it for helping me achieve the results described below.

In order to relay as much info as possible I am providing many details...sorry in advance if its excessive. Mazdaspeeeed6 & Qwik6 not sure if you have had luck yet, but this might be worth a read given what I saw in your posts.

I am having the full clutch TSB done today/tomorrow on an VIN type A 06 MS6 with a little over 57k mi on it (post factory warranty on the whole car) and Net-net am only paying for the clutch plate (under $200).

I purchased in Sept 06 and during my first and second services had issues similar to the ones the Koenig mentions in earlier posts. It was difficult to get into 2nd gear, esp. during really "spirited" driving. I also made mention of the fact the clutch felt oddly hard to operate, and thankfully the dealership documented this (although somewhat vaguely) in my invoices, their answer being that everything was functioning as designed. These visits were made in Nov & Dec 06, 4 months b/f the TSB was released for the clutch.

Fast forward to Sept 08 coming home from a long road trip, 600+ mi and 6th gear started to slip when passing at 100+mph...I considered this odd and had hoped it was an isolated incident. I had another 600 mi drive the next month and at 200mi 5th and 6th were slipping under heavy torque. I am not an abusive driver and have never destroyed a clutch in 15 years of driving. I started to feel concerned about the situation knowing that sooner or later I was going to pay a lot of money to fix something that was poorly designed from the factory and later clearly admitted to but never informed of.

After reading about the TSB in this strand I went to the dealer, who I patronized every 5K mi since moving to the area, and asked about the TSB, telling them I learned of it from a friend and had drove his 06 MS 6 the week prior, and noticed it felt like a totally different (and better) car. I asked to have the tech drive my car and note on my record that the clutch was letting out high and hard to drive (which he agreed that it did do) and asked they document the fact there was a TSB to address it. At the dealership they told me that they could not help but to call Mazda USA.

I called Mazda USA and told them I had this problem when I first bought the car, took it to the dealer I purchased it from and that I was fobbed off and basically told I was crazy (not the same dealer I use now). I made the point that after those interactions I stopped complaining and had no way of knowing about the TSB released 4 months later b/c I loved my car and wasnt looking to lemon law it and was tired of hearing I was nuts, so I stopped complaining and just accepted it. I was not shy in letting them know that we have many Mazda products in our family (RX-8, Protg, Miata) and would like to continue doing business with them. I also thankfully I had 2 receipts that mentioned something in general about the clutch and faxed it to Mazda USA. Within 24 hrs Mazda called my current dealer who verified that I was a regular there, serviced my car religiously, and didnt abuse my car (and I do have some light modsaftermarket intercooler, intake, exhaust, test pipe). Within 48 hrs Mazda authorized them to do the TSB so long as I paid for the clutch plate (which is fairit is a wear item and I used it for 57k mi).

I am not sure which of these factors (or which combinations of them) proved to be the tipping point, but it worked and kudos to Mazda for seeing this through and the dealership for going to bat for me. If you are in my position warranty/mileage-wise and if any of these factors apply to you, make sure you use themas many posts have said before the dealer makes all of the difference. The dealer I patronize in Hamilton NJ has a specific tech that has done several of these TSBs and overall the service people are great. I really cant say enough good things about these guys; even when just in for general service. I dont mean to sound like a commercial but from me this is a huge compliment...I was a service writer/sales person/mechanic many years ago and know how difficult it is to find people who are not just nice but competent and trustworthy also. In short I am very critical about the people who touch my car.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow and hope to have the same reaction as many of those who have already done the TSB for A VIN cars.

Good luck to all on this issue and please feel free to hit me up with questions if I can help.

Another successfull TSB....glad to hear it!!!

Picked it up this morning and it was worth every bit of the hassle. The car drives considerably better. I agree with prior posts in that it seems a little resistant to downshift to first while still rolling but worth the upside...I'll downshift once I stop!

Glad to see Mazda takes care of its customers. I think the key however was filing a complaint before the TSB had been issued. Anyone walking into a dealership now with 57K on the ticker is not going to get this done for free (or the cost of the clutch) unless they had prior complaints documented.

Any success/failure stories regarding getting this TSB done in Ontario (SW Ontario to be specific?) I have an 06 that falls under the "Type A", with 50,000 km on it.

I finally got the Type-A clutch feeling pretty good. Took a few mods
-SU Rear Engine Mount
-Turbine Tech Front Engine Mount
-TWM Stage 2 Short Shifter
-TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob
-Redline MT-90 Fluid

Its funny though. 45k Miles on the car. Learned how to drive a stick when I bought the car and drove off the lot. I have launched the car a few times since Ive had it but nothing too crazy like dumping the clutch. I also have burned the clutch countless times since ive had it. But its still feels as strong as it does the day I bought it, never a slip.

I wonder how these upgraded clutches would hold up after a period of time?

2006 MS6 Type-A Clutch Replacement at ~21.5K.
Thanks to the forum and all of you who have posted.
The car is an entirely different beast.

Note: Flywheel was loose. Common? Strange....

Taking car in monday morning for them to check the clutch. Called the other day and told the service advisor it was hard to engage/disengage and asked about a tsb. He looked it up and said he didnt see anything. Wanted to check it out monday and see if it needed the clutch replaced or any other parts. So I will let them drive it and see what they say. Im taking a copy of the tsb if they try to bs me telling me there isnt one. Only 3000 miles left on the warranty. Wish me luck :)

Back