Mazdaspeed3 rear sway bar a direct fit?

Funktional

:
2009 Mazda5 Sport MT
I have searched the Mazda Forums and beyond trying to find out if there is any compatibility between the Mazdaspeed3 stock rear sway bar and the Mazda5. I'm looking to replace the rear sway bar with something a little larger, not that understeer on the Mazda5 is a terrible problem, I just know from experience the difference a larger rear sway bar can make on a FWD vehicle. I also want something stock in appearance, I'd rather not put on an aftermarket piece for warranty reasons. Given the fact that one of the problem areas with the 5 is the suspension (Blown struts, etc.) I'd rather have something stock in appearance so that a Mazda service department would be less inclined to blame any suspension issues on aftermarket suspension parts.

Has anyone used a Mazdaspeed3 rear sway bar on a Mazda5 with no modification? Is it a simple matter of unbolting the stock rear sway bar and swapping in the Mazdaspeed3 sway bar? Any information on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have it on pretty good authority to say yes - it's a direct swap.

90% of the Mazda3 (and MS3) is a direct swap into the Mazda5. Some of the local MNW members have been trying to sell me their old MS3 RSBs and even help me with the installation (attn).

I think they are just looking to gain back some money on their Speeds...(drive2)

m.

I have it on pretty good authority to say yes - it's a direct swap.

90% of the Mazda3 (and MS3) is a direct swap into the Mazda5. Some of the local MNW members have been trying to sell me their old MS3 RSBs and even help me with the installation (attn).

I think they are just looking to gain back some money on their Speeds...(drive2)

m.

Thanks so much for the response. I knew that some 3 and 5 suspension parts were interchangeable and I also noticed the TriPoint rear sway bar is applicable to the MS3, regular 3 and the 5.

The rear sway bar is only $145 from an online Mazda parts dealer so I'll see if someone wants to sell me one off of their MS3 for less.

Thanks again!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
A tighter rear end!

Has anyone upgraded fronts and rears, tho? I would be a little aprehensive doing just the rear bar.

If you upgrade the front sway bar - you might notice a difference.

If you upgrade the rear sway bar - you'd feel an immediate and noticeable difference.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
A tighter rear end!

Has anyone upgraded fronts and rears, tho? I would be a little aprehensive doing just the rear bar.

DISCLAIMER: This is my personal opinion, fool with your sway bars at your own risk.

Production engineers typically spec FWD vehicles to follow their natural tendency to understeer since it's considered more safe in an emergency situation. A more substantial rear sway bar will cause the rear of the vehicle to corner flat allowing the front outside tire to "bite" harder and corner more neutrally or, depending on brake input and other factors, to corner with oversteer. For a vehicle the size and height of the Mazda5, it corners very well which is a compliment to Mazda's suspension gurus. I personally think there's a bit too much understeer and would like to try and solve the problem with a MS3 rear sway bar if possible. I used to drive a Civic Si hatch in the 90's and although I wasn't really into engine mods or speed, I did upgrade the suspension with tokico blues, Eibach springs, and a progressive rear sway bar. The stock front sway with the upgraded rear stabilizer bar produced amazing turn in along with the ability to swing the back out on command via trail braking.

I totally agree. On a smaller FWD, a bigger rear bar does a really nice job of reducing the built in understeer and bringing the car towards neutral. I have had many VWs and one Honda with all with a larger rear bar added. Its a great way to improve the handling with no affect on the ride of the car. Just do the rear. I have a stock MS3 bar that will be going on soon.

DISCLAIMER: This is my personal opinion, fool with your sway bars at your own risk.

Production engineers typically spec FWD vehicles to follow their natural tendency to understeer since it's considered more safe in an emergency situation. A more substantial rear sway bar will cause the rear of the vehicle to corner flat allowing the front outside tire to "bite" harder and corner more neutrally or, depending on brake input and other factors, to corner with oversteer. For a vehicle the size and height of the Mazda5, it corners very well which is a compliment to Mazda's suspension gurus. I personally think there's a bit too much understeer and would like to try and solve the problem with a MS3 rear sway bar if possible. I used to drive a Civic Si hatch in the 90's and although I wasn't really into engine mods or speed, I did upgrade the suspension with tokico blues, Eibach springs, and a progressive rear sway bar. The stock front sway with the upgraded rear stabilizer bar produced amazing turn in along with the ability to swing the back out on command via trail braking.

Back