Mazdaspeed RX-8

every mazdaspeed vehicle is turbo'd... so they made the protege, the miata, 6 and 3's in to speeds... hmm what else is left? the rx8 i guess since others are minivans and suv's......... omg that would be delicious if they turbo the 8's rotary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i read from somewhere which was posted by someone on 6club, the next mazdaspeed vehicle is going to be the mx5, again... they are putting the 2.3 turbo in it

dont expect a mazdaspeed RX8 anytime soon...if ever

they probably wont waste working on turboing the Renesis since they are still developing the 16x

every mazdaspeed vehicle is turbo'd... so they made the protege, the miata, 6 and 3's in to speeds... hmm what else is left? the rx8 i guess since others are minivans and suv's......... omg that would be delicious if they turbo the 8's rotary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i read from somewhere which was posted by someone on 6club, the next mazdaspeed vehicle is going to be the mx5, again... they are putting the 2.3 turbo in it

Seems to me there was talk of a Mazdaspeed CX7 actually...and a concept vehicle.

One of our techs just got back from Mazda school. Seems there was talk of a RX-8 mule driving around with a S/C rotary in it (AutoBlog.com has pics). Yes, SUPERCHARGED. He was told there IS going to be a Mazdaspeed RX-8 due out in 2009 or 2010 with that engine, and will have revised oiling in addition to the S/C.
Maybe it's gonna go out with a bang before the redeign and new rotary?

One of our techs just got back from Mazda school. Seems there was talk of a RX-8 mule driving around with a S/C rotary in it (AutoBlog.com has pics). Yes, SUPERCHARGED. He was told there IS going to be a Mazdaspeed RX-8 due out in 2009 or 2010 with that engine, and will have revised oiling in addition to the S/C.
Maybe it's gonna go out with a bang before the redeign and new rotary?

well Mazda IS gonna announce a 'heavily revised' RX-8 at the NAIAS in Detroit in January. We'll probably find out what's up in their sleeves by then...

EDIT: i can't believe i made the 'their/there' typo... FAIL (dark)

Eh...I've been following the 16X development for quite sometime. All my sources say nothing of a supercharger. Would be interesting though. Could you send me more info Ben?

Eh...I've been following the 16X development for quite sometime. All my sources say nothing of a supercharger. Would be interesting though. Could you send me more info Ben?

That's all I got unfortunately. The tech was very tight lipped about it, and when I pried I found out that's all he knows.
It's not going to be the 16X as far as I know, they're reserving that for another model or a complete design change. The '09/10 is just going to be a refresh from what I can see, and they're adding the S/C Mazdaspeed model for probably the last year or two of the current model's production.

guys, I hate to break this to you. But I SAT IN an 04 Mazdaspeed Rx8 earlier today. It looks just like http://www.srmotorsports.com/MazdaSpeed-RX8.jpg that one.

It has the following Mazdaspeed parts:

4 point carbon fiber strut tower brace
rear strut tower brace
full suspension
brakes
body kit
C.A.I. (which btw is badass! It's about 4" wide, polished, and is situated right in the front where an FMIC would be!)
dual exhaust

it also has some engine parts like a cf flywheel and some other weight saving part, but I don't know all of them.

The interior had the piano black accents and a Bose system. Black leather seats, HID headlights, sunroof, and a nice little leg pad on the center stack to rest your knee. I haven't driven it yet, but I am going back Monday or Wednesday to drive it. They are asking 16,900 and it has 29xxx miles on it.

He says it books for 17,900. I find it hard to believe they will move it for any more than 15. You can get a used MS3 with less miles for like 18000-19000. Why wouldn't you get more HP and Torque and all the new technologies (not to mention practicality) in the MS3 for only 2 grand!

I think I will do lots of research and go back and offer 14 and see what they do.

Last edited:
Interesting, info I'll have to see if there are any dealerships around in the area I'm in that have any Mazdaspeed rx-8s..Have to test drive it..

Well...... I went and drove the thing. WOW! I was VERY, VERY, VERY skeptical of this car. I haven't found much proof of a Mazdaspeed Rx-8 even existing in the USA. I had seen it with my eyes, all the Mazdaspeed upgrades, and I mean ALL OF THEM!

So.... let me tell you. This car was BADASS as far as I am concerned. It is rear wheel drive as far as I could tell. I didn't really try to drop the clutch or squeel them or anything. I don't know if it even would because it reportedly only has 160 lb ft torque. Those reports also say it has 250 hp too, and all of those deliver FULL THROTTLE! The rotary engine is pretty amazing at speed, and kind of lackluster from a stop. But, if you are rolling and you drop it down, get the rev's up, and punch it........ reminds me of my buddies 350z! I'm dead serious! It has LOTS of pop from a roll, and the great thing about the 6 speed is that you can rev to 8,500 rpms before redline! It just keeps going and going and going, then you shift and BAM, you get going again!

The suspension was GREAT! I felt like I was glued on rails to the road. Amazing! Corners were gonners in no time and I trusted it on every turn. Now, it was a TEST DRIVE so I didn't puuuuuuuush it, but I had my fair share of fun.

The closest comparison I've had is seriously the 350Z. I've driven them numerous times and it was seriously the same feeling driving it today.

Now, here's the down side(s). It's too small for what I NEED/WANT and it's an '04 (when I really want an 07+). They want 16,900 for it with 29,500 on it. NO WAY They will get anywhere near that number for me and I can pretty much back up my reasons. I can get a MUCH newer car with all the new goodies, technology, etc. and I can get a much faster car (more tq and hp) with less miles for around the same money. Plus this RX8 has been "curbed" on the front passenger side. It's got a good scrape on the splitter and the front end is loose on that side. Plus 3 of the 6 lights have moisture in them.

Anyways.... it's a badass car as far as I am concerned and I'd love to own it for the right deal. I hope whoever does buy it takes care of it as much as I would.

well,

the VIN revealed that it is an 04 rx8 sport with all of the mazdaspeed options installed. It also has the high output motor, but know numbers for HP or TQ.

It has also had all the updates and recalls, and it has a quite a bit of warranty work done. Don't know if that last part is good or bad.

Guy said he could probably talk the manager into 15, but 14 is out of the question.

hhhhmmmmmm............

some kid came in and had his parents buy it this weekend.

I got a "report" on it. had a lot of warranty work done and came from the dealer with all the options installed on it.

Oh well, I bet he paid the asking price for it too. And to think, I coulda had it for 15 and been pimpin in it! Damn it's a hot car! Hope the kid takes care of it!

All of the 6-speeds have the high output motor and all 8's are RWD. 250HP was the initial release of power until it was discovered to be 232HP. How many more "goodies" would you want, or that the 8 does not have?

Dude, $16,900 for an 8 with only 30K miles and all the MS parts! That's an insane deal. I would have traded mine in for that. You lost out on a good deal man.

Final note, again it may have all the MS parts but it's not sold as a MS RX-8.

Last edited:
Back