Mazdaspeed or Spec V

Hey all. I'm new to these boards and I've actually been thinking about this question too. I've been eyeing the Spec V for a couple of months and then the MSP comes up. Anyway, I know that the V is very limited in aftermarket products as of this point. So my question is, how does that scene look for the MSP? I'm such a n00b at this stuff it's not even funny so if the answer is common knowledge here, my apologies:eek: :) -reg

Well just about whatever is available for the Pro 5, and the MP3 is available for the MSP. A year ago, the aftermarket was pretty non-existant. But now the aftermarket tuners are comming out of the woodwork for our cars. Just look at the amount of Turbo Kits available for our cars, and the bodykits, and the other ods and ends. The aftermarket for the MSP looks VERY promising indeed! Go here for more details: Aftermarket FAQ

Hello everyone, i've been lurking for awhile.
I will state my opinion on this matter but first some background.
I was very happy with my 90 miata until some landscaping chump
totaled it. I am not here to flame either, the wife has a protege.
Anyway, I test drove my Spec V and i enjoyed it. Now the after market for the car is picking up. There is a turbo kit in development for the car and a supercharger also. I've just ordered some ground controls coilovers. Tein makes coilovers for the car also. I've already got 17x7.5 Volk TE 37's on the car.
Stock wheels on the Spec are heavy (24 lbs). So the aftermarket for the car is looking bright. As for a 2000 SE wasting my car,not happening,unless it has a SR20det under the hood which is rare ,only about 3 B15 sentras that I know of in existance have that engine . If the car is such a pos with SCC ,why did it make their 8 great rides list?
As for some people having problems with the cars, you don't hammer on a brand new car before breaking it in and expect it
to be problem free. I've got 26,285 miles on my car trouble free.
As for not driving around cones, why is the Spec V in the same class as the WRX in autocross?

If you want an objective opinion about the Spec V, how in the world are you going to get that on a PROTEGE SITE?

Dude already put his money on the MSP,stop trying to stir up a shiznit storm and pick up the MSP,hell you've got money on it.

My next car is 350Z.

Peace

Last edited:
All right guys. I was in this same debate, and I have decided. NO SPEC-V, IT SUCKS. I went down to the nissan dealer near my office and took one for a drive. It was completely WEAK! I am driving a 92 Prelude while I wait for my MSP and it only has 160hp. I guarantee that my Prelude would stomp that Spec-V and that the MSP will stomp both of those cars. The steering feels way to tight and the dash board is cheesy, the radio is all built into the dash and the red on black dials are pretty annoying. All I'm saying is the Spec-V has no get up an go even if it has 175hp it just felt weak. I got up on it and it felt like I was crawling. DON'T GET THE SPEC-V, MAZDASPEED RULES!

regress said:
Hey all. I'm new to these boards and I've actually been thinking about this question too. I've been eyeing the Spec V for a couple of months and then the MSP comes up. Anyway, I know that the V is very limited in aftermarket products as of this point. So my question is, how does that scene look for the MSP? I'm such a n00b at this stuff it's not even funny so if the answer is common knowledge here, my apologies:eek: :) -reg

I don't know about you...but the Spec v isn't limited anymore...there is a guy in monteral with a Turbo spec V...my friend is working on his own custom Supercharger kit...Travis has 2 Turbo kits in the works.

Lets see...Cams are on the way,easiest mod ground the knock sensor, will only cost you an hour of time, and improve performance...cheapest (payable mod) is the Balance shaft removale 85 bucks from JWT, and increases by 10 whp across the board.

Then we have catbacks, headers, intakes. coilovers springs

We got breaks, flywheels.

The onlything I can think of that we don't have that we NEED is..ECU, Valve Springs, and Pullies.

oh yea...the Spec V is no where near slow...Crazy_D it'll be the same league as the MSP for speed...for handling I'll give the MSP the bow.

It's slow, I drove it.

It handles ok, but compared to my 160HP Prelude (with a 5 speed and a curb weight of 2866). The Spec-V may have more top end but there is nothing in the low end of that car. I know I just drove it 2 hours ago. But you are right there are more aftermarket parts for the Nissan than there will be for the MSP.

Re: It's slow, I drove it.

crayz_d said:
The Spec-V may have more top end but there is nothing in the low end of that car.
:bs:

um excuse me? lol. hondas are known for their high end power and no low end. the spec-v on the otherhand.. is known for low end power, not high end.

please, get your info correct.

Re: It's slow, I drove it.

crayz_d said:
It handles ok, but compared to my 160HP Prelude (with a 5 speed and a curb weight of 2866). The Spec-V may have more top end but there is nothing in the low end of that car. I know I just drove it 2 hours ago. But you are right there are more aftermarket parts for the Nissan than there will be for the MSP.

Spec-V has gobbles of torque. I drove it few days ago, just 30 min after RSX-S.

I prefered RSX-S power delivery, but Spec-V definitely was way stronger down-low.

I will not take Spec-V because of steering that was very imprecise, and design that is to me very ugly, but credit has to be given when due: Spec-V isn't slow. You probably got confused due to different power delivery.

Back