Mazdaspeed Miata

This vehicle looks awesome! Wonder why they are getting more hp (look at the torque!!!) out of the 1.8l than the 2.0 MSP ....lol. Oh well, I still love my MAZDASPEED! Love the RacingHarts!

Last edited:
IMHO i still like the msp body style better. But i cant argue with 180 HP in a 2500 lb rwd car!:eek:

57112.jpg

wanna know a secret?

Supposedly 20-25 of the US versions are going to be arriving at a location here locally for "dealer orientatin" over the next few weeks or a month...

I'll do my best to sneak out & get some pictures, and hopefully a test run or two. ;)

TitaniumSpeed said:
This vehicle looks awesome! Wonder why they are getting more hp (look at the torque!!!) out of the 1.8l than the 2.0 MSP ....lol. Oh well, I still love my MAZDASPEED! Love the RacingHarts!

the BP engine in the Miata is MUCH MORE suited for turbo application (aka higher boost)

ZoomZoomH said:
the BP engine in the Miata is MUCH MORE suited for turbo application (aka higher boost)

isn't it the same basic arcitecture as teh old 1.6 miata's (which started as a turbo designed block for teh 323 etc etc..)

rx7gslse said:
isn't it the same basic arcitecture as teh old 1.6 miata's (which started as a turbo designed block for teh 323 etc etc..)

If it weren't for the extra inch in lenght and the components that that inch accomodates, the engines are, for the most part, identical (1.6 and 1.8). However, from the BP's conception, the head design has since changed over time. I beleive the intake ports on the current BP head are straighter, and higher, than those on the older BP. There's a lot of info on Randy Stocker's page.

BPHeadCompare.jpg

(Top: MK1 / Bottom: MK2)

As found here.

kcbhiw said:
If it weren't for the extra inch in lenght and the components that that inch accomodates, the engines are, for the most part, identical (1.6 and 1.8). However, from the BP's conception, the head design has since changed over time. I beleive the intake ports on the current BP head are straighter, and higher, than those on the older BP. There's a lot of info on Randy Stocker's page.

BPHeadCompare.jpg

(Top: MK1 / Bottom: MK2)

As found here.

do the links work for anyone else?

or has my office started to block out aol homepages now too?

ZoomZoomH said:

not really

the 1.6 is pretty much a deturboed 323 gtx block with higher compression. The 1.8 in the 94-95 were pretty much like longer 1.6 blocks.

the 99+ are different (higher compression, Vics on some, Varible intake, although the rods are suppose to be the same, they dont seem to hold up as well as the older ones.)

Definitely a sharp car, but I agree with some of the other posts it doesn't diferentiate itself from the rest of the Miata line up as the MSP does from the Protege. Sure wish I had the change though. Would be pretty sweet to have my wife driving one of those. 2 Speeds in the drive way. Wait, never mind, because it would be a constant fight over who gets the car port. lol.

Anyhow, question in regards to earlier posts. Is there any relationship between the 1.8 in the Miata and the 1.8 that was in the older Protege? Same blaick different internals, completely different just happed to share the same displacement? I need knowledge, hook a brother up.

which 1.8 in the Protege are you talking about, the FP-DE in the 99-00 Protege, or the 1.8 in 98 an earlier Proteges?

vodapas77 said:
Anyhow, question in regards to earlier posts. Is there any relationship between the 1.8 in the Miata and the 1.8 that was in the older Protege? Same blaick different internals, completely different just happed to share the same displacement? I need knowledge, hook a brother up.

Yes, for all intensive purposes, they are the same engine. The Miata has a bit more aggressive cams and higher compression. As stated above, the mk2s have a different head design, however, it was derived from the older BP head.

Back