Mazdaspeed exhaust tip on P5 muffler

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
Does anyone know if an exhaust tip from a Mazdaspeed Miata would fit over our P5 tips...or would it weld on without issues? Asking since I can source one for cheap.

Even if the diameter of the pipes are different? Will they just use a connection piece of some sort and weld together?

It would be good to get the outlet diameter on your muffler so you can get a tip that will weld on without having to get a reducer.

If he wants that specific one they will use a reducer, just ask them to paint it so it doesn't rust

Found out more info on the MSM tip:

The outer diameter of the tip is 3" and the OD of the pipe is 2 1/8".

Is the stock P5 tip 2"? How about the piping? Just curious :)

Does the p5 even have a tip? I think stock protege piping should be 2 1/4

Stock muffler and tip look like this:

stock-muffler.jpg

3364580057_large.jpg

And by pipe...I mean the tailpipe, not exhaust pipe.

Here's the MSM tip I'm looking at getting:

$%28KGrHqZ,%21ogFBvNMg+h6BQoJqmrbOw%7E%7E60_57.JPG

the stock exhaust piping ID on a P5 is 2"s from what i remember. However, i'm not sure the muffler tip keeps that dimension. The stock muffler (look at the pic above) has a crappy tip that slides over the 'real' pipe, and is just tack welded in place close to the muffler itself. I'm guessing that too is 2" ID in there.

As said though, any competent muffler shop will get it to work. Some can do it with a flared piece that is welded inside the new tip, and then welded to the muffler...and then you won't see the reducer, as its deeper inside the tip...but the quick and cheap way will just have the reduced piping diameter just inside the tip.

Back