MazdaSpeed Exhaust installed w/review and pics(56k tread lightly)

VRMS6

:
2011 Kona Blue Ford Edge Sport
Got my special ordered MazdaSpeed exhaust this monday and installed it on tuesday.
The exhaust comes packaged nicely in a white box with the MazdaSpeed logo on it. After opening the white box there are 2 more boxes inside seperating the 3 pieces of the exhaust. Also included was a instruction manual the mounting clamps and some MazdaSpeed stickers(10HPat least for those yo!!!)...The exhaust itsself was highly polished and looked to be good construction. Noticed the resonator was eliminated with the new exhaust and the pieces went togeather with slipover couplings and then clamped to stop exhaust leaks.
After putting the car on a lift removal of the exhaust is pretty straightfoward.
Cut the exhaust approx 15in from the cat conv flange.
Also cut it after the stock muffler allowing removal from over the rear suspension.
Unhooked the 3 pieces from the exhast hangers and the stock exhaust was removed.
Loose fit of the exhaust revealed the split flange for the muffler piece was not open enough to accept the midpipe so off to the pipe spreader it was . (This is where having access to a shop full of tools comes in handy.)
After slightly opening the split flange we fit all the pieces to hangers. Made sure all clearences were good we then positioned the exhaust tip to be flush with the rear bumper.
Torqued the clamps down and rechecked the clearences and called it a night.
First startup was nice and the exhaust was mellow sounding. The ride home was fun as the smoke generated by the oil the exhaust was coated with, to protect it while stored, was massive to say the least. Yet the exhaust didnt sound right. I thought it a bit loud not at all like I imagined.
Drove it for a day to see if it would mellow out a bit but no go. At lunch today put the car on a lift again and while the car was running I put a rag over the exhaust tip and checked for leaks. All 3 clamped areas had exhaust leaks. I repositioned the clamps and retorqued. Better but still with leaks. So I brought the car next door to the Midas shop explaigned my plight and left it there to have the slipover joints welded instead of clamped.
Got the car back and the diff is like night and day. No exhaust leaks now and the exhaust sounds
100% different. When cruising its not obnoxous, at idle it has a barely noticable rumble and at WOT it sound just plain mean..The crossover point for Mazdas version of Variable Valve Timing at 3k rpms is very noticeable and you feel it in the seat of the pants......
I can now recommend the MazdaSpeed exhaust with no hesitation.
Now on to the pics. I do have pics of the actual install but I am not able to download them from my SLVR cell phone....Note goldish hue to the exhaust is due to the lighting in the shop....

rear view far
msexhaust23zr.jpg

rear view closeup
msexhaust30fy.jpg

gotta clean the finger prints off the exhaust tip
msexhaust41jq.jpg

closup of muffler w/MazdaSpeed logo
msexhaust53ea.jpg

rear pipe undercar view
msexhaust61gy.jpg

2nd view exhaust undercar view
msexhaust76af.jpg

sorry to hear about the clamp issues.... sounds like a decent product just a couple kinks to get worked out...

can we get a sound clip. It is weird that there is no resonator but it is still quiet. I have heard a clip of this exhaust and it was really loud. However, it may have been due to exhaust leaks so i am curious to see how yours sounds.

WetsuitxNinja said:
Would it have killed mazda to put a flange after the cat so these systems would all just bolt up.... (bang)

Their is a flange between the 1st and 2nd cats. Thats where my exhaust starts.
Its the rest of the factory exhaust, its all one piece from there back, i think.

mazda3zoom said:
Their is a flange between the 1st and 2nd cats. Thats where my exhaust starts.
Its the rest of the factory exhaust, its all one piece from there back, i think.

Mine does too, but in CA good luck getting your car smogged with your hiflow cat or deleted cat. Im just saying my p5 had flanges right after the 2nd cat so a "cat back" system was just that. Idk maybe im just picky.

will get a pic of the stickers tomorrow. Theyre your reg approx 11in long 1 in wide white mazdaspeed lettering sticker... Sound clip will have to wait till better weather as its rain in the forcast for the next 3-4 days.....

Wow looks really nice! Glad to hear you decided to just weld it instead of leaving the clamps on, seems like a better way to have your exaust set up anyways.

BLAM said:
her eis a sound clip or those who want one.

http://members.shaw.ca/blamo/MZ3/msexrev.avi

turns out i have a minor leak. going to get that fixed soon enough
i think im going to have a shop flange where the slip joints are. thats where my leaks are

Sounds good man ...... any drone on the highway?
I had a MadzaSpeed catback on my P5 and it was drone city, I took it off - got on my nerve.

i dont even hear it on the highway.

windnoise > exahust

my SRI was louder on the highway

Seems kind of pricey for what you get. I mean, you can get an entire flange-back system with a hi-flow cat for $500 (Draxas). And one with no slip-fit pipes for $600 (Vibrant).

You don't get the gee-whizzy Mazdaspeed logo, though. (jerkit)

Still a lot cheaper than the AutoExe system, though. (shocked)

goldwing2000 said:
Seems kind of pricey for what you get. I mean, you can get an entire flange-back system with a hi-flow cat for $500 (Draxas). And one with no slip-fit pipes for $600 (Vibrant).

You don't get the gee-whizzy Mazdaspeed logo, though. (jerkit)

Still a lot cheaper than the AutoExe system, though. (shocked)
goldwing, given the exhaust choices which system would you go with?

rbmazda3 said:
goldwing, given the exhaust choices which system would you go with?

Vibrant w/hi-flow cat

If I ever have $600 burning a hole in my pocket, that's what I'm going to get.

Back