Mazdaspeed 3 MS3 brake upgrade: stock wheel clearance

Db84drteg

:
Mazda 5 Touring
Tonight I finished the mazdaspeed3 front brake upgrade and I wanted to make a few points about it.

Parts used:
Rock auto refurbished calipers (FoMoCo stamp)
Stainless lines
Hawk HP+ pads
3mm hubcentric spacers

- It's easy and affordable-ish
- the braking performance is phenomenal
- flush your brake fluid, because old stuff is nasty
- stock wheels don't quite work, but a 3mm spacer gives about 1.5-2mm of clearance which, in my opinion, is enough clearance.

Just for kicks, no spacer

And a 3mm spacer

Driving impressions:
The stock brakes and economy pads were horrid. Full force standing on the pedal didn't activate abs and there was no rush to slow down. Emergency stopping would be impossible. Spongy pedal, bad modulation, and zero confidence in the brake's ability to stop the car in a hurry.

After the upgrade, what a huge difference in braking power, modulation, and feel. The brakes have some initial play, then have smooth tip in, and then the pedal gets nice and firm. There is no surprise in the relationship between pedal force to brake force. It's very easy to manipulate. City driving is easy, there is very little noise except for during very light pedal pressure where there is some quiet squeaking from the pads. I know the pads will dust like crazy, so I ended up painting my wheels black because I'm lazy like that. There are no tracks for hours, so I won't see how much abuse they can handle, but I doubt they'll handle a long track session. I have no doubt now that the weak link is the tires, which will be replaced in quite a while as the current ones are almost brand new.

I'd highly recommend this upgrade to anybody who wants just a bit more confidence in the brakes.

One day update:

The passenger caliper wouldn't fully release after a complete stop and the Hawks were overwhelming my music, so everything came out. I relubed both caliper bracket slider pins and the pad mounting surfaces. I also replaced the pads with an OEM replacement pad and went to bed them in. They have 80-90% of the braking ability (they won't handle the same heat and abuse as the Hawks) with zero squeaking, so I'm still happy with the improvement over the stock braking setup.

Last edited:
Tonight I finished the mazdaspeed3 front brake upgrade and I wanted to make a few points about it.

Parts used:
Rock auto refurbished calipers (FoMoCo stamp)
Stainless lines
Hawk HP+ pads
3mm hubcentric spacers

- It's easy and affordable-ish
- the braking performance is phenomenal
- flush your brake fluid, because old stuff is nasty
- stock wheels don't quite work, but a 3mm spacer gives about 1.5-2mm of clearance which, in my opinion, is enough clearance.

Driving impressions:
The stock brakes and economy pads were horrid. Full force standing on the pedal didn't activate abs and there was no rush to slow down. Emergency stopping would be impossible. Spongy pedal, bad modulation, and zero confidence in the brake's ability to stop the car in a hurry.

After the upgrade, what a huge difference in braking power, modulation, and feel. The brakes have some initial play, then have smooth tip in, and then the pedal gets nice and firm. There is no surprise in the relationship between pedal force to brake force. It's very easy to manipulate. City driving is easy, there is very little noise except for during very light pedal pressure where there is some quiet squeaking from the pads. I know the pads will dust like crazy, so I ended up painting my wheels black because I'm lazy like that. There are no tracks for hours, so I won't see how much abuse they can handle, but I doubt they'll handle a long track session. I have no doubt now that the weak link is the tires, which will be replaced in quite a while as the current ones are almost brand new.

I'd highly recommend this upgrade to anybody who wants just a bit more confidence in the brakes.

What year Mazda5 do you have, and what year MAZDASPEED3 parts did you source from?

Nice. I'd think 3mm is plenty clearance for street driving.

Speaking of the FoMoCo in the caliper casting, I noticed that for the first time this past weekend when I rotated my tires. Damn, I thought my 2013 was all Mazda being it was made in Japan.

Included a clearance picture without the spacer and impressions/changes after one day and 150 miles.

Last edited:
Did you have any issues, with core charge when returning the stock calipers as cores?

Haven't had a chance to return them. Should have them sent back this week. I'll post up with the results!

I'm contemplating this upgrade on my 2012 Mazda 5.
Does anyone know if the stock 16" 2012 wheels would fit the bigger calipers or do I need the spacers or even new wheels?
I'd probably stick with stock if I need to worry about the rims.

Back