mazdaspeed 3 engine in my p5

protege5407

:
mazda, protege5
i am looking to do a mazdaspeed 3 swap on my p5 has anyone done this and if so what am i going to need and if anyone has the motor and tranny let me know

No one has done this swap from what I know. All I can say is that you could probably build your motor, turbo it and build a full suspension and it would still be cheaper than the ms3 swap. But if you really wna to do it good luck!

its goin to take alot of custom work and wiring but im sure it would technically fit in the engine bay

it would be a fun project car

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q2/return_of_the_boss_wagon_mazdaspeed_5-project_car
Read this article on the engine swap into a Mazda5, which is even closer in structure to the Mazdaspeed3 than a P5. I understand you want for the MS3 power with the P5 styling, but I think it would be an extremely difficult swap with a completely new generation of engine and the entire wiring harness on speedometer to allow the engine to run properly, not to mention all the other stuff like brakes, differential, structural reinforcement, suspension, and other complicated things needed to allow the car to be safe and anywhere near as fast as if you worked with what you have. Even them modded cars are tempermental and always in need of repair/tuning leading to many headaches and heartbreaks. I too shared this dream, and the bad new is it will probably be crushed as was mine. The good news is, if you have money saved for this swap, use it as a downpayment on a MS3 and you will not regret it.

Yeah but that was easy because the 3 and 5 share the same platform. The P5 is a whole different animal. If you have the coin to sink into it, then by all means... It's just going to require a crap ton of custom work. In the end you'll probably spend more on the swap than you could just building up your motor and boosting it. I mean I want to mid mount a 20B rotary engine with a sequential transaxle into a P5. Will it happen? Probably never. Cost effective? Definitely not.

Not trying to beat up on your idea but its just a big, expensive task.

well i thank everyone for your opinion and for your help i think i may just do a msp swap instead it just seems like the ms3 is going to be to much money. i like the idea of just going out and buying a ms3 but im upside down on my p5 and i cant get rid of it so i need to work with wat i got. plus im in love with this car lol

Yes, but the P5 can be a cold temptress. lol

MSP kit is totally the easiest route to go. You can source an MSP setup for less than $1k if you search hard enough for parts.

if you have to ask how to do it then you will:

A. never do it
B. do not have the skills
C. no money or limited funds
or
D. all of the above

but if you do do it, post pics and a how to lol

if you have to ask how to do it then you will:

A. never do it
B. do not have the skills
C. no money or limited funds
or
D. all of the above

but if you do do it, post pics and a how to lol

ya well in most cases you are right i just want to build something unique there for im actually going to buy a second p5 and build this into it so when i do i will have pics up...

Last edited:
lol ya it isnt going to be in the near future im gonna start buying the motor and stuff like that and by next year i should have the car

Latest posts

Back