Mazdaspeed 3 CAI ?

Installed mine on the weekend. Went very smooth with no issues. Took about 2 hours going slow. There is some more power, and I absolutely love the sound it makes. I haven't turned on the radio since I installed it. ;)

Installed mine on the weekend. Went very smooth with no issues. Took about 2 hours going slow. There is some more power, and I absolutely love the sound it makes. I haven't turned on the radio since I installed it. ;)

Did you take off the front bumper to take the stock air box out or did you do it all from pulling back the wheel well liner?

I've been itching to do mine but it's still sitting in the box.
Any other tips to pass along for the install that are not mentioned in the instructions?

Did you take off the front bumper to take the stock air box out or did you do it all from pulling back the wheel well liner?

I've been itching to do mine but it's still sitting in the box.
Any other tips to pass along for the install that are not mentioned in the instructions?

We pulled back the wheel well liner. Taking off the bumper seemed like way too much work.

Tips for install:

- 2 people. One to hold back the liner and hold the light while the other gets their hands in there removing the air director. Small racheting wrenches come in very, very handy for this part.
Also, two people it makes it a lot easier when you're under the car trying to wiggle the air filter on the end of the intake. The other person can be on top holding the intake up and allowing you to move it around as required. Otherwise it'll be bolted onto the frame (on a rubber mount which flexes, but not too much) and it could be a bit of a pain.

- When you remove the MAF sensor, IMMEDIATELY install it in the new upper intake pipe and then set it aside until you need it. The longer it sits on your workbench, the easier it'll be to break it. Best to keep it as safe as possible. (I had to be very careful because my dealer mentioned they were all sold out of them!)

- Warm garage. Working in the cold sucks, fingers and toes aside, the plastic parts are easier to break. Thankfully we didn't break anything.

- Watch how close the new splash guard sits to the wheel liner. Mine was touching a little and rattled on the drive home. I loosened some hose clamps, twisted it around a bit, and then tightened everything down again. Problem solved.

Biggest tip is take your time. Double check all the instructions so you don't miss anything (like the air straightener... I just finished installing everything, then had to take the lower intake pipe off and wiggle the stupid plastic straightener into the upper intake pipe, then re-align and tighten everything again.)

After install tips:

- Watch out for the police. I almost got caught speeding on a section of highway that never has police on it until the day I went testing my CAI.

- Careful in 2nd gear with DCS off. There is no more traction. Period. (drive2)

Enjoy :)

I just installed mine today and noticed there's a sucking/leaking noise from around 3k up. Is this normal? I'm wondering if maybe there's a leak or not. It's not knocking around anywhere and all connections seem tight. Definitely more power and that's nice. I like it.

I just installed mine today and noticed there's a sucking/leaking noise from around 3k up. Is this normal? I'm wondering if maybe there's a leak or not. It's not knocking around anywhere and all connections seem tight. Definitely more power and that's nice. I like it.

Mine also makes a hissing-sucking type noise above 3k RPM . That's just the sound of the air entering through the less restrictive intake and filter

I just finished installing mine and came back from a drive.... mine also makes that hissing/sucking noise as well. I didn't do any WOT rips but plan to see if the butt dyno can pick up any difference once the ECU has had a chance to adjust

Thanks for the replies. I just had to make sure it was normal. I'm already thinking of what I should get next.

maybe its because ive done it so many times but i find taking the bumper off way easier than trying to work in the cramped conditions of the wheel well. i can do it in like 2 minutes now.

maybe its because ive done it so many times but i find taking the bumper off way easier than trying to work in the cramped conditions of the wheel well. i can do it in like 2 minutes now.

i agree wholeheartedly with this man who i have never spoken with before

CAI MPG Increase

I recently had my CAI installed and I noticed that my gas mileage has increased 3 mpg. More power and more economy....what a great combo.

If I may, I'm going to suggest a few things on installation.

Start from the bumper to the inlet. Meaning, install the long tube and attach the support bracket up first. Then install the air filter and splash shield underneath the bumper (remove the wheel well and under shield, removing the bumper is NOT necessary).

Doing this allows you to align everything very comfortably. Also, there is a L-pipe used on the stock intake that attaches past the MAF. You re-use this on the MSCAI however remove the L-pipe but use the blue clip from it and attach it to the MSCAI piping. I didn't realize this was supposed to be done and it was pushing against my intercooler cover. We figured this all out the other day and the intake fits very very comfortably now.

thread revival ftw....

if i order the ms cai from the dealer or SU (cuz there's a $42 difference), would i have to get the AEM air straightener seperatly regardless of where it's coming from?

thread revival ftw....

if i order the ms cai from the dealer or SU (cuz there's a $42 difference), would i have to get the AEM air straightener seperatly regardless of where it's coming from?

I got mine from the dealer a few months ago and it included the air straightener. Nice mod.

Back