Mazda6 vs Camry

Necessity said:
There are plenty of threads about the 6s auto being sluggish. There is terrible throttle lag that mazda has marketed as a "feature" for smoother shifting. The 6 is fast, just not quick off the line with auto.
I've found that one can make a decent launch with the automatic by loading the tranny up against the brake just before launching. When done right, the car takes off very quickly, in fact, I dare say as quickly as a manual trans. Mine will take off with both tires squealing. Not excessively, but just enough to keep the engine in the beginning of it's powerband. Right about when it really start's to make good power and she start's to torque steer to the right, she hooks up and moves out. I know there will be those that say " that's abusing the transmission!". To these folks I say " so is dumping the clutch at 3000-4000 rpm". An ATX equipped car will never be the same as a MTX car, but I'll tell you what, it's damn close, and honestly, the more I drive the car, the less I miss the clutch.

I didn't mean to push this in the wrong direction or put down the auto 6 in any way. I'm just going on what I've noticed and what plent of other people in m6club have commented on.

On that note, some owners swear they feel no lag, perhaps it's all the luck of the draw.

No, you're absolutely right Necessity. When you drive the ATX car like you would any other auto equipped car, it does feel laggy at first. My intention was only to share my findings with all the other 6/ATX owners. Driven properly, which in my book means aggressively, the 6s goes like a violated simian. I guess we should look at it like a blessing, that the car can be both smooth and seemless, or quick and snarly, all depending on the driving technique that one employs. (thumb)

Back