Mazda5s on the track (videos and pics)

those are really nice vids man, I'm glad I wasn't the only person to take Mz5 on the track.
Haha, the funny thing is if I were to pick two people in this community who I'd guess would track their 5's I would hands down pick dima and Venom.

What did it cost you guys for the track time? I'm guessing a little cheaper than a typical day since it was an event for both of you guys right?

Awesome pics dima_rus,

I changed the thread title a little bit if you don't mind, let's keep those coming (2thumbs)

I didn't pay anything since it was Sponsored by Scarboro Mazda event. We just normally donate some money to Sick Kids Hospital.
As for vids, I personally don't have any, but pretty sure some people were filming it.

Just read this. . the STI can't seem to find the line. What mods do you have on the 5 at the time of this event? I love the near-flat weight transfer I saw through the esses.

Ou est le circuit? The ClubMazdaQuebec site has nothing listed.

10-7

Thanks for the list, and the track info. Not a member of that organisation, and almost a 5 owner! Back in '06 I chose an Odyssey over the 5 and have been on/off the fence ever since.

Seeing your track-day in the family hauler has me pricing out a '09 5-spd Sport - last quote was $16,090 USD + tax/tags.

Interestingly, the last Eibach ProKit I had was on my '95 Integra GS-R. Did you stay with the stock shocks?

10-7

pics of our mazda5 on the track

I am an active member of the Audi Car Club Chicagoland Chapter and I track my modded A4. Last year, I was able to convince my wife to come out and participate in one of our events in her Mazda5. As luck would have it, I had a center diff begin to die on the way to the track in my Audi, so we both drove the 5 for the weekend. The weekend was excerises for the beginners on saturday morning (slalom, lane toss, and threshold braking), followed by 20 min sessions saturday afternoon and all sunday. Since it was a 2 driver car, the 5 saw a lot of track time. Mods for the event were Hawk HPS pads and some old Kumho's 712s (215/40/17 IIRC) I happened to have in the garage up front. Otherwise stock.

Car did really well actually. I had to adjust my braking and turnin points compared to my Audi which has big brakes and track rubber, but I had a good time. I'll admit I was done with it by sunday afternoon, but it was a welcomed challenge to have to change everything up due to the limitations of the car. But overall, it handled a lot better than I would have thought and while I did have to point by an awful lot as I was in the instructor group it was an overall positive experience. I have a lot more confidence in the 5 on the street as a result. And my wife had fun too!

Ignore the dirt and the dent...

Pics of me driving:
http://bit.ly/aBOM4P

Pics of my wife driving:
http://bit.ly/cCHW30

edit: Our 5 is an auto (obviously) and for a bit I was shifting manually, but I found that about 12-15 min into a 20 min session, the gear indicator on the dash would go out. It would always come back later, but I never really figured out why. I found that just leaving it in D and choosing my gear shifts via the gas pedal to work a bit better anyway, so I never really worried about it.

Last edited:
Awesome pics Bryan. Makes me jealous of your adventures. At least I have a GT stick, but no place to drive in anger.

Back