Mazda5 Sliding Doors Unlock Problem (Actuators)

doody

:
Mazda5 AT Touring
Has anyone experience this problem?

Whenever I press the remote twice to unlock all the doors, the passenger side sliding door does not unlock. All the other doors unlock properly.

I need to press the remote a few times in order to get that particular door to slide open.

I park the car in an indoor garage and I don't think this relates to the common issue of the cold and latch problem.

mine had a problem with the passenger's slider unlocking. The little sliding lock button would move making it look like it unlocked, but it didn't move enough. Took it in and they replaced a part under warranty. We were thinking it broke because my son liked to continuously pull on the handle while we were unlocking the door, but if other people are having the same problem, maybe it wasn't his fault.

happens to us occasionally. That's the door our eight-year-old uses. I was planning on having it fixed if it keeps recurring.

This happens to us pretty frequently. I too was blaming it on the kids pulling on the handles when unlocking, but I have noticed that it often happens even when they are being careful.

Well it has happened to me, and I don't have any kids...

I have found that once in a while I need to press the unlock button once more to get the sticky door open.

Looks more like a binding/lubrication issue, not electrical.

Thanks for the input.

I took the Mazda5 in for an oil change last week and I told the Service Advisor about the problem. When I picked up the car, the guy said he had ordered something called an 'actuator' for the sliding door problem. It's covered under warranty.. so we'll see..

Help - Rear doors / sliders won't unlock

I had the recall done many months ago at the dealer on the rear slider door locks in regards to them potentially freezing and the associated fix...
Now, the doors will not unlock everytime with the fob - randomly - two clicks on the remote and the front doors and tailgate will always unlock (so I know it's not user error), but not the rear doors -sometimes the left , sometimes the right, sometimes both, sometimes neither. You can see the lock lever above the pull trying to throw open, but not getting past the middle of the stroke, like there's too much friction to overcome. Happens more often when the weather is cooler in the AM (but not that cold - 40-50s Farenheit)
This morning my wife was going to have our son crawl through from the front seats, when it finally unlocked on the 12th try.
Last time at the dealer they 'could not replicate'. It is now a safety issue, with kids back there, sometimes with them inside when the doors won't unlock. (pissed)
Did the fix involve a modification that could be causing this, such as a new mechanism, or a heavier lube/grease that the power of the lock cannot overcome? I was told the recall only added some sort of protection or hood to keep water out.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Any of you Mazda dealership guys seen this of know more about the freezing lock recall/fix that might explain this?
Thanks.

I had the recall done many months ago at the dealer on the rear slider door locks in regards to them potentially freezing and the associated fix...
Now, the doors will not unlock everytime with the fob - randomly - two clicks on the remote and the front doors and tailgate will always unlock (so I know it's not user error), but not the rear doors -sometimes the left , sometimes the right, sometimes both, sometimes neither. You can see the lock lever above the pull trying to throw open, but not getting past the middle of the stroke, like there's too much friction to overcome. Happens more often when the weather is cooler in the AM (but not that cold - 40-50s Farenheit)
This morning my wife was going to have our son crawl through from the front seats, when it finally unlocked on the 12th try.
Last time at the dealer they 'could not replicate'. It is now a safety issue, with kids back there, sometimes with them inside when the doors won't unlock. (pissed)
Did the fix involve a modification that could be causing this, such as a new mechanism, or a heavier lube/grease that the power of the lock cannot overcome? I was told the recall only added some sort of protection or hood to keep water out.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Any of you Mazda dealership guys seen this of know more about the freezing lock recall/fix that might explain this?
Thanks.

Could this be a problem with the remote?

Had this problem with mine, Mazda replaced the Actuator, and it has not happened since.

had a similar problem on the passenger side slider, the lock would slide back about half way. dealer replaced the actuator also.

I have the exact same problem with my sliding doors. It really annoyed me at first but I've learned to live with it. My car is out of warranty so the dealer won't help me out. I might eventually replace the actuators myself. The inside door cover looks like a PITA to take off though.

2006. They were fine for the first year and no probs until after the TSB to fix the freezing locks was done, so either the mod did something, or the actuator was already getting tired and the timing was coincidental.

Guys- Thanks for the lead on the actuators - I will educate my dealer as to the possibility.

My red 06 rear passenger door was sluggish to unlock as well. the 2nd click would unlock all the doors except that one. It would take 3 or 4 times constantly to get it to move. Wasnt always that way, started happening after the 1st year Id say. My black 06 works fine, and my white 08 is perfect.

For anyone keeping score at home, or for future reference...

The dealer did replace the actuator and all is better.
Now, when unlocking the other doors with the second click on the remote or from the interior unlock button, there is no longer a unlock click delay or lag time at the sliders like there was with the old actuator.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas which definitely helped hon in on the problem and solution.

Unfortuantely these days, dealership service is NOT at an all time high and I feel I actually get things fixed when I know the problem and solution, and convey it to the dealership. It actually got fixed this time vesus the last time when we got the "unable to replicate" line... Maybe they realized that the next time it happened and I could not get my infant son out of the car I was going to break the window...and then bill them for it. :)

Thanks again all.

Get used to it!

My '06 has done this since new. TSB, New actuators, key fobs, still does it. I've had lot's of cars over the past 27 years, and this is the absolute worst car as far as repairs I have EVER owned. My Mazda6 has been exceptional but this 5 has soured me from buying a Mazda again.

My '06 has done this since new. TSB, New actuators, key fobs, still does it. I've had lot's of cars over the past 27 years, and this is the absolute worst car as far as repairs I have EVER owned. My Mazda6 has been exceptional but this 5 has soured me from buying a Mazda again.

They replaced the acuator on mine once, and it failed, then they tried replacing it a second time and have not had any problems in over a year.

have the same problem with the right rear door. Holding the 'unlock' button down for an extra second seems to help. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Is this the actuator?

Sounds like the actuator if the lock will not throw all the way open on the second button-press, but no idea how they 'test' for this at the dealership short of replicating the problem the same way you/I do with the fob.
Ours started as sporadic and eventually took many presses (up to a dozen) to open. Needless to say - very irritating with kids inside the car as we have not yet taught our 5 month old how to unlock the door. :)

A good way to test...stand on the outside of the other side of the car (with the car locked) and look at the slider lock button through the window. Now press unlock twice, first for the driver's door, second for the rest - if you see the actual lock/unlock button on the inside of the problem door slide/throw halfway open, then stall or pop back to lock position, problem solved - actuator.

Back