Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

I've gotten 32mpg with AC on with my 08 5AT as long as the speeds are kept below 75mph. I've found its possible as long as you have a light load and no significant grades/headwinds. After 75mph the mpg goes down hill pretty fast. The 2012 models might even do better because they turn less rpm at highway speed.

Well not me.

I do a maybe 80/20 city/highway and average (per ScanGauge E) 21 mpg. So that's all I get. It's sad but it is what it is and the car is heavy for a 150 hp engine.

My diesel does 60 mpg , so i am happy that i dont have 2,3 petrol engine like you in the US petrol cost 7,90 USdollar/gallon here in denmark now.
Butt the gearratio is offcourse much better with 6speed MT, it runs 2250rpm at 130km/h and its just were the diesel engine have max torque.

Last edited:
32.5 mpg/7.2 L/100km on a trip yesterday from Greenville SC to Durham NC. One of the best figures I've obtained....70mph constant on I85 and it probably didn't hurt there's a pretty good elevation drop on that trip and temps around 60F/15C meant I didn't have to use a/c and windows closed and we could be comfy with the dash vents blowing outside air....

06 AT 2.3 22-23mpg avge, can get 30-35 on long trips, 18 around town..just put new 205 50 17 tyres on yokohama avids to replace pirellis

Still struggling to reach 17.5 mpg in my 2012 GT. (drive2)

Have you brought the car back to Mazda dealer yet to see what your malfunction is?
(deadhorse)

I just did 1/2 tank of 55-65mph only, no more than 50% throttle, and got 34mpg.
My best average to date!
83k miles on car, Auto, 36psi Michelin Primacy tires
(boom06)

Have you brought the car back to Mazda dealer yet to see what your malfunction is?
(deadhorse)
Dealer has no TSB for his right foot :D
I just did 1/2 tank of 55-65mph only, no more than 50% throttle, and got 34mpg.
I don't think I'll ever manage to get that high. Doing 65-70mph, I got 29mpg.

From June until now, my mileage has ranged between 20.3 and 21.7 mpg. That was 100% city driving and using the A/C about 1/3 of the time. Now that cooler weather is upon us here in San Diego, I fear I will be back at 18.5 mpg. I don't have a lead foot, so I've concluded it is the heavy, poor rolling resistance of the Sumitomo tires. I will now be doing most of my driving in my newly acquired 2001 Toyota Carolla, auto trans. with 187,000 miles.

After a month (edit: of tracking consistently), I'm averaging around 29 mpg. For me though, 90% of my driving is highway with 60 mile round-trip commute.

Last edited:
It's a function of my short trips over mostly hilly city streets using a lead foot... = 17.3 mpg.

With my slightly less leaded foot, but same short drive/ hills scenario, 18-19 around town, maybe 20 if a bit more highway. Have seen 32 mpg on the highway at constant 70, 29 at 75.

Update:May 2012. Now at 25k miles, still 19-20 around town, 32 still the high for all highway. I'll take 32 in a car thats's only rated for 27 :) Wish that city mileage number was 22-24 for real world average. If they Skyactiv engines make it to the 5, might have to look at trading.

Last edited:
It's a function of my short trips over mostly hilly city streets using a lead foot... = 17.3 mpg.

How short: I noticed in my V70 that <2mi cold to stop will yield about 16 mpg, whereas when I took the kids to day care b4 going to work, I was getting 20+ mpg: 8 mi trip 1 way.

How short: I noticed in my V70 that <2mi cold to stop will yield about 16 mpg, whereas when I took the kids to day care b4 going to work, I was getting 20+ mpg: 8 mi trip 1 way.
I'd say half of my trips are to less than 2 miles away. I live at the top of a fairly large hill (about 500 feet vertical), so anytime I go anywhere it's back up the hill, or some other nearby hill. As I mentioned, I'm also a lead-foot. I can't turn a corner from a stop without the front tires squealing (so much for ATC).

I just got over 29mpg, mostly highway with four people in our 08 5AT with minimal AC usage. When I filled up at 331 miles the needle was reading just above a quarter tank till empty. I've done 32mpg on a trip like this without passengers. I've found that the van mpg is very dependant on weight.

I've had three straight tanks of 7.9 to 8.0 L/100km (29.4 to 29.7 MPG) through 1100km, tank one on high speed mountainous freeways, tank two on mostly two lane highways including about 100km of slow and go traffic due to heavy traffic and icy roads, tank three through flat high speed divided highway, aggressive Calgary traffic, and heavy headwinds. I just did a 281 km trip on 18.9 litres of gas, that's 6.7 L/100km or 35 MPG, my best tank ever!!! I credit the PCM reflash that a Mazda dealer performed two weeks ago, I drove an average of 100 km/h on the trip there and my wife did 90 km/h on the way back in these conditions:

96952960.jpg

My previous highway average was 8.5 L/100km and previous best was 7.5 L/100km.

19.3L/100km (12 MPG) while in Banff... those 5 to 10 minute warm ups for short 5km trips totally killed the gas mileage lol.

7.1L/100km (33 MPG) Banff to Vancouver to Bellingham WA.

7.7 L/100km (30 MPG) overall this trip. Very happy with that.

31 MPG in mostly suburban driving. I've been using the pulse & glide hypermiling technique on non flat terrain say hills greater than 2% grade. Pretty successful I'd say. Never turn my engine off when gliding either as it's a safety hazard since power steering doesn't kick back in.

On flat terrain, maintaining steady throttle is no less efficient.

Back