Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

For example, I just figured to drive my daughter to daycare there are 14 places to stop in 1.7 miles! If I need to drop my wife at the train first, its 3.7 miles with 28 stops. Keep in mind this is without stops for pedestrians, people pulling out from driveways, vehicles blocking the street with illegal K turns and inching from general traffic.

edit: My mother-in-law is 5 miles and I think its about 40 stops, give or take.

Last edited:
For example, I just figured to drive my daughter to daycare there are 14 places to stop in 1.7 miles! If I need to drop my wife at the train first, its 3.7 miles with 28 stops. Keep in mind this is without stops for pedestrians, people pulling out from driveways, vehicles blocking the street with illegal K turns and inching from general traffic.

edit: My mother-in-law is 5 miles and I think its about 40 stops, give or take.

Hybrids were created for these kinds of conditions...too bad they're not in the same price category as the 5.

Hybrids were created for these kinds of conditions...too bad they're not in the same price category as the 5.

Indeed, although they are not too much more than a fully loaded GT.....But now you know why I picked a smaller, 4 cylinder vehicle. I was expecting it to be very frugal and for whatever reason, it just does not return what I thought it would. I foolishly thought I would get the mid 20's like everyone else :)

Bought used 07 GT w/4AT. About 75% city driving in SoCal. My first 4 fillups is 23.8, 22.3, 23.3, 22.9. Not quite the numbers that many of you put up but I'm somewhat satisfied considering I got about the same on my last car, an 04 Accord sedan. The 04 Accord had a 24/34 EPA MPG estimate but my real-world combined MPG with it was about the same as my 5.

I've gotten lower MPG since I wrote the above about 15 months ago. My overall average right now is exactly 22 MPG. Maybe I've gotten used to driving it in a more "spirited" manner, who knows?

Not included in the 22 MPG number above is an all-freeway 2000 mile trip I just did. 2 people and 60 lbs of outdoor gear, filled up 6 times, drove about 80 MPH all the way, and got 26.43 MPG. Both numbers are pretty close to the official EPA estimate...

Update: Finally got to take the 5 on a real highway trip. Went with the wife, 3yo, 9moo and myself aboard with a weekend of luggage including 2 strollers. We did 355 mi on 12.45 gallons. That works out to 28.5 MPG, very nice! That was about 75% interstates between 70 and 80 MPH with a few toll stops, the rest of it was on secondary back roads (US-XX and Route XX type roads) holding about 40 mph with stop and go at lights in smaller towns. All in all very pleased since this is the reason I bought this vehicle. Although it does mean that my poor in town mileage is normal, there is nothing wrong with the engine :(

Getting a few miles on my 2010 Sport auto now, up to 1,400.

Most of my driving is around a small town, 10-15 miles a day R/T to work, etc., looks to be in the 23+ range for that.

Finally got in some clear highway miles Friday and Sunday. About 150 miles today over a combination of crooked, hilly highway, then nicer straighter highway with some medium hills, then about 40 miles on good roads on the flat. Speeds from 45-50 in the curvy stuff, to 60-65 on the good stuff. A/C on for about 40 miles coming back home until it cooled off and wasn't needed any more.

My running average so far is up to 25.2, and today's trip yielded 31.37 mpg, but might be an 'outlier', we shall see. I might have some more short 'road trips' (~250 miles) coming up in the next week or two.

Update: Finally got to take the 5 on a real highway trip. Went with the wife, 3yo, 9moo and myself aboard with a weekend of luggage including 2 strollers. We did 355 mi on 12.45 gallons. That works out to 28.5 MPG, very nice! That was about 75% interstates between 70 and 80 MPH with a few toll stops, the rest of it was on secondary back roads (US-XX and Route XX type roads) holding about 40 mph with stop and go at lights in smaller towns. All in all very pleased since this is the reason I bought this vehicle. Although it does mean that my poor in town mileage is normal, there is nothing wrong with the engine :(

Forgot to mention that the AC was never off the entire trip :)

At 13,500 miles, our 08 GT is averaging about 19-20mpg city and 25 highway. We've seen as high as 32 mpg all highway and as low as 18 around town ( lots of hills keep the 2.3 working).

Update of my August 8th post #727:

Now up to 2225 miles (last fill-up). Averaging 25.6 for more town driving than high-speed hwy driving. Had another tank of 30.7 mpg on mostly rural secondary hwy driving back in August. The low has been 22.4 on the 3rd fill, all others 24 to 26 for mostly commuting and short hwy miles.

This is on a 2010 Sport Auto, sometimes use the 'manumatic' mode to lock in 2nd between stop signs, slip it into neutral at long stop lights so the engine isn't working against the brakes or wanting to creep forward if you take your foot off the brakes slightly.

So far fairly happy mileage wise.

First real trip report

We finally got to get our 5 on a decent trip. 2010 Sport with auto. No other options. I usually get 24 to 26 mpg around town.
Trip results. Two adults, luggage for 4 nights, no AC. Total trip 547 mi with 75% interstates at about 68 mph average. Not much stop and go, mostly backroads/scenic drives for the non interstate driving. With two fill ups I averaged 35 mpg. Very happy with this number and also suprised. Didn't expect it to be that good. Am I dreaming?

Just checking my "aCar" droid app, over the last 16 fillups: average 27.597 mpg.

I drive prolly 70% interstates, 65-70 mph typically, usually just me, or with my wife.

Covering 5175 miles, 16 fill up records, highest tank 30.780, lowest 23.160 (I remember that afternoon, *a lot* of fun...we were late for somewhere about 160 miles from here, and we found an Audi / Corvette 'parade' to follow to help make good time). Just clicked over 16,000 miles total since February 2010 on our 2010 Sport MT.

We have done 3 fuel-ups this far. 85% Stop and Go. This is a manual transmission and the average so far is 23.7 MPG. We hope it will get better after the break-in period.

It should definitely get better...when I drive like a nut, I average about 25-26, then when I drive normally, I get 29-32...with the automatic and A/C on during most trips...

I just made my last run from Miami to Atlanta in my 2008 sport manual. I averaged 23.6mpg over the trip. Then again that was 694 miles running at 85+ mph almost the entire trip whever possible. A lot of WOT passing on the right for what I call the left lane retards. Those people that stick in the left doing 70.000005 in a 70 and don't understand the flash to pass concept. Approx 40 miles of construction zone traffic though very light. Stopped twice to fill up. No other breaks. 9 hours, 23 minutes. I think that was a personal best for that run.

what rpms are you running at 85 mph?

and i hate the left lane retards. i always slow down while passing to give them a dirty look. they always look at me like im the stupid one.

My wife drives our's primarily in suburban stop/go traffic and is averaging right at 20mpg. Now, that's much better than the 15 our van got, but I was hoping for better.

We haven't had a good long highway trip to check yet.

I have Mazda Premacy 2000 1.8 16v 100 hp with 140000 miles on it with LPG.The result is 27 mpg(town) and 31 mpg(highway).

Terrible Hwy MPG!

Ok so I have had my 5 for about 4 months now, approx 5k kms of driving. I am a fuel consumption obsessor. I drive smoothly and within the speed limit. My trips to work consist of 40% hwy and 60% city. While driving in the city I try to time lights so I don't have to stop/start often. Since purchasing the 5 I have tracked milage both on ecomodder.com and through the Gas Cubby app on my iphone. My BEST city mpg is 24.6 (9.6L/100km), average being 22.2 mpg (10.6 L/100km). EPA combined should be 23 mpg.

That all being said I was excited to go on a short road trip with my wife this past weekend both to get away from the kids and to see what the hwy mpg would be. On cruise control at 75 mph (120km/h) with 2 stops for construction I got 16.4 MPG (14.3L/100km)!!!!! I get the same if not better mpg with my brick of a '01 Xterra!

There were no obvious factors that should have caused this. Tires at 38 psi on all 4 corners, gas bought from reputable station, no head wind or hills, no aggressive passing, etc

Please help! This is ridiculous! Other owners here at the same speed/rpm (75mph @ ~2700 rpm) or even faster have turned 30+ mpg!

somethings not right (duh); i just did a trip with the cruise set between 70-75 (varied with T-Giving day interstate traffic and construction), in the rain, with a stiff headwind and got 27 mpg.

Back