Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

2007 Numbers:

34 tanks of gas

Avg 11.08 L/100km or 20.09 mpg

Not quite the 9.3 L/100km or 25.79 mpg average city/hwy that was posted on the sticker - but I do know those are ideal conditions and I do more city than highway.

What I really want to know is what modifications they made to the 2008 model for it to have a posted average mileage rate of 8.35 L/100km or 28.8 mpg

I'd love to get 5 mpg more out of my 5.

Most Fuel-efficient Vehicles Honoured with ecoENERGY for Vehicles Awards

http://ecoaction.gc.ca/news-nouvelles/20080213-eng.cfm

Mazda 5 gets award under the much debated is it or isn't it a "mini van" category

the link to the 2008 Fuel Consumption Guide suggests the Mazda 5 gets 29mpg city and 40mpg highway....

I guess I'm tradin' in the ol' 2006 model and its barely 20mpg combined!!

9mpg is equivalent to an extra 108miles or 173km per tank!! this is unbelievable.(wow)

Most Fuel-efficient Vehicles Honoured with ecoENERGY for Vehicles Awards

http://ecoaction.gc.ca/news-nouvelles/20080213-eng.cfm

Mazda 5 gets award under the much debated is it or isn't it a "mini van" category

the link to the 2008 Fuel Consumption Guide suggests the Mazda 5 gets 29mpg city and 40mpg highway....

I guess I'm tradin' in the ol' 2006 model and its barely 20mpg combined!!

9mpg is equivalent to an extra 108miles or 173km per tank!! this is unbelievable.(wow)

(wow) 40MPG? Would that be Imperial or US?

29MPG Imperial = 24.16MPG US
40MPG Imperial = 33.33MPG US

I'm getting combined 22-25MPG (US) in average on my 06 and my 08, I don't know how people drive in order to get to the highest levels claimed in this post, I think it is feasible, no doubt, but I would be so bored of driving in gas saving mode. Wife gets around 10 more miles per tank usually (she drives the 06) but she drives with much less zoom-zoom I admit.

I just hit the 3,000 mile mark on my 08 Sport with manual trans.

I'm seeing about 23mpg but that is nearly 90% city driving and I tend to stretch it's legs between stoplights. I did just return from a trip to Charlotte and saw a combined average of 29mpg during the trip.

(wow) 40MPG? Would that be Imperial or US?

29MPG Imperial = 24.16MPG US
40MPG Imperial = 33.33MPG US

I'm getting combined 22-25MPG (US) in average on my 06 and my 08, I don't know how people drive in order to get to the highest levels claimed in this post, I think it is feasible, no doubt, but I would be so bored of driving in gas saving mode. Wife gets around 10 more miles per tank usually (she drives the 06) but she drives with much less zoom-zoom I admit.

Although the website does not specifically say it uses Imperial - it must. There's no way its US gallons...

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications...2008/comparing-vehicles.cfm?attr=8#conversion

Also, they show how the testing is done and in order to drive like they do in the testing - you'd never get to where you were going...

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/transportation/fuel-guide/2008/testing-procedures.cfm?attr=8

Why don't they just ask us folks that are using the vehicles.... that would be just too easy.

PS - thanks CoolMazda5 for the comparison of the '06 vs '08 - do you have a preference or are they pretty much the same?

PS - thanks CoolMazda5 for the comparison of the '06 vs '08 - do you have a preference or are they pretty much the same?

I would say I like them both, they pretty much drive the same but if I could combine the stuff from the 2 into 1 I would be all set :D:

From the 06
- The looks (looks sportier, don't ask why :))
- The fogs (helps the looks a lot, looks less boring)
- The headlights and taillights with the gray bezel
- The color (love the color since I saw it in the 2005 Mazda3 SP)
- The seat fabric combo

From the 08
- The aux input
- The wheels
- The electroluminescent gauges
- The black piano finish radio plate
- The extra armrests
- The A/C in the 2nd row
- The non-crazy, uniform acceleration when cold

isn't there a fix for that?

Not sure, but I think the answer is yes, maybe is an ECU update, but haven't checked. I lived with it until I bought the 08 and noted the difference :). Since the exhaust fire recall few years back and the ECU update that came with it I've been picky on those things. I fought with the dealer because my car was an MT and they wanted to do the ECU anyway (it only affected AT, idiots)

My unfortunate experience with ECU updates in other cars is that they break something else in the process, but for sure is just my paranoia :D

Oh, and it is not the TSB that has been addressed here lately (the complete shutdown when cold and turning left/right or something like that). For that I'm OK so far...

I would say I like them both, they pretty much drive the same but if I could combine the stuff from the 2 into 1 I would be all set :D:

From the 06
- The looks (looks sportier, don't ask why :))
- The fogs (helps the looks a lot, looks less boring)
- The headlights and taillights with the gray bezel
- The color (love the color since I saw it in the 2005 Mazda3 SP)
- The seat fabric combo

From the 08
- The aux input
- The wheels
- The electroluminescent gauges
- The black piano finish radio plate
- The extra armrests
- The A/C in the 2nd row
- The non-crazy, uniform acceleration when cold

I'm with you on all the pros from both car. I still like the exterior looks of the 06-07. (blah)

Not sure, but I think the answer is yes, maybe is an ECU update, but haven't checked. I lived with it until I bought the 08 and noted the difference :). Since the exhaust fire recall few years back and the ECU update that came with it I've been picky on those things. I fought with the dealer because my car was an MT and they wanted to do the ECU anyway (it only affected AT, idiots)

My unfortunate experience with ECU updates in other cars is that they break something else in the process, but for sure is just my paranoia :D

Oh, and it is not the TSB that has been addressed here lately (the complete shutdown when cold and turning left/right or something like that). For that I'm OK so far...

And I thought I was the only one that had that crazy acceleration when cold. IT PISSES ME OFF EVERYDAY!!!(bang)

I'm convinced - and maybe just my paranoia - that it has a serious affect on gas mileage.

My dealer assures me that my car has the latest ECU settings and that everything is within spec.

I do have a service due for this month so I will ask again....

on my subbie, I did about 100 ECU writes via a USB-OBD2 and a laptop. I was scared maybe a few times. Never broke anything!

But I don't trust dealers, so I don't blame ya.

Last two tanks

25.5 mpg 75 highway/25 city
23.5 mpg 60 highway/40 city

Tank number 2 in our 2008, manual...

80% city / 20% hwy = 24.7 MPG.

Good, I'm somewhere around the same numbers on a normal drive mode and similar conditions. I was getting freaked out with some of the higher values reported earlier here (freak)

I have a brand new '08 GT with the 5-spd manual. The first tank was 9.7L/100km. The second tank was 9.5L/100km. I'm just working on my third tankfull now.

Coolmazda5:

Your 2008 has higher highway MPG even without factoring in new method. Are you getting better MPG with 2008 under the same condition?

I often wonder how 2008 manual get better MPG without taller gearing.

Coolmazda5:

Your 2008 has higher highway MPG even without factoring in new method. Are you getting better MPG with 2008 under the same condition?

I often wonder how 2008 manual get better MPG without taller gearing.

Dunno what to say, my wife drives the 06 and I drive the 08 (I wouldn't mind driving the other way around, problem is she does not want to trade cars, serious).

I don't do MPG calculations at every gas pump fill-up but by the total mileage she actually gets 10-15 miles more per tank. Now, I think the difference is not on the model/engine updates but more in the way we drive, she barely steps on the gas and exceeds 3000RPM. I don't drive like Schumacher but I hit more often on the gas, get to the 4000RPMs and surpass 75MPH...

I think the best comparo will be if I get to drive the 06 for a change, then I will be able to tell if there is any difference, problem is how to take the car out of her hands (thought)

Perhaps take both cars on the same long trip or two identical trips with different car.

We have family friends back in the 80's go on the same trip with multiple cars.

There were some GM full-sized RWD sedans with 3.8L, 4.3L and 5.0L.

It turned out 3.8L had the worst MPG.

Back