Mazda5 Owner's Quiz

1. Which model / color / transmission / options / etc. did you get?
2009 GT Crystal White Pearl, 5 Speed with "Luxury Package" and tinted windows2. Whereabouts are you located?
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

3. Is this your first Mazda?
No, I owned a 1988 MX-6 from '88 until '93

4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist?
Dodge Journey, Taurus X. If the Mazda5 didn't exist we would've kept our '00 Sienna a couple more years

5. What were the main three reasons why you chose the Mazda5?
Price (especially 60 months no interest), manual transmission, fuel economy

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options avaliable for it, what would they be?
Retained power for windows, automatic door locks, higher seatbacks for rear seats. (and a real screw-on gas cap!)

7. Do you plan to make any modifications?
No. Well, maybe a roof rack

8. Have you seen any other Mazda5s on the road yet?
Yes, they're quite common around here

9. What kind of reactions have you received from others on your new Mazda5?
Very positive--how much more modern it looks and how well it handles compares to the Sienna.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what?
Microvan

What question did I forget to ask?
I'm with m5pa upthread about the gas cap(lol2)

Congrats on your purchase, Coastal Mazda5! I saw one just like yours at the showroom, 09 GT with Luxury Package in Pearl White with 5 speed manual... it's beautiful!

2008 (Nov 2007 build) MAZDA5 Grand Touring Crystal White Pearl Mica (34k) + NAV w/ sand Interior, rear bumper step plate

2. Whereabouts are you located?
Redondo Beach, CA

Yes, owned it for about 4 weeks now. It replaced a 2002 Volvo S60 4 door.

4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist?
Honda Element, MB GLK350

The sliding doors in a car size vehicle - absolutely perfect. Wish they made sliding doors for the driver/passenger OR perhaps a single big door, two opening positions (driver = door opening stop one, rear passengers = stop two?)
Price
The whole family agreed, we all loved it!

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options available for it, what would they be?
Remove the idiot proof nuisances (Nav s/w limitations). The car needs roof rails as a standard feature. Get rid of that alternator noise with 12v mp3 player. Ability to turn off seat belt chime. Lost key will require $95+ trip to the dealer for initial programming (the user can not reprogram a second key if only one key exists LAME!) Bose stereo option. Splash guards available for touring body styling. 12V outlet for the second row. Adjustable driver/passenger armrest and make it wider more comfortable. I think the car would be a home run if it had 2.5L (3.0L?) engine. I wish the two fixed back windows hinged open.

Added window tint, custom mud / splash guards , auto dimming compass mirror
Planning roof rack or roof rails, possible tow hitch, dvd entertainment center for rear passengers.

Yes plenty

My neighbors all have Mazda cars, next door a Miata convertible and Mazda3 sedan, across the street has a Mazda MPV. They all love our Mazda5.
We parked next to another Mazda5 in the parking lot and both cars had all the slider doors open. It was strange to look through all the door openings as we all climbed in / out at the same time. It felt like something out of a circus, ala-clown car. Funny!

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what?
Micro-van, but I think of it more like a swiss army knife-wagon

11. What question did I forget to ask? What features do you like most about your 2008 Mazda5?

(+) Slider doors are nice, especially with windows that open. Slider doors are easy to operate, even my 6 year old had no problems opening and closing them unassisted. Makes so much more sense than station wagons / SUVs with large doors in those cramped parking lots.

(+) Fun to drive, peppy for city commutes. 50 series sidewall tires make for a crisp cornering and good for accelerating quickly and stopping quickly-- very agile maneuvering.

(+) Excellent turn radius, easy to park. The steering wheel is light and easy to move.

(+) Aux 3.5mm input standard feature, finally I can plug my ipod/XM into the car stereomuch better sound with a direct connection (previous two cars were cassette adaptor and FM modulation Yuck!)

(+) Outside temperature as a standard feature

(+) The automatic volume control is a nice feature that should be standard in more cars. (is it working?)

(+) Steering wheel controls for audio, and voice command and bluetooth are nice features for this level car.

(+) 5 speed transmission shifts smoothly, 5 speed is a must!

(+) Neat second row tray table basket feature, I wish it could be retracted a bit easier for access into and out of the 3rd row. My son thinks it is neat to climb out the rear hatch instead of the tray table obstacle course.

(+) The driver seat height is perfect for easy egress, Not to short (like falling into a sedan) and not too tall (climb into an SUV), just slide across right into the driver seat from standing. There is a 2 inch well (lip) in the foot area at the door, but it is low to the ground so its not too difficult to swing your feet in and out.

(+) Automatic headlights why doesnt every car have this as a standard feature? HID lights are nice and bright.

(+) Navigation routing seems fairly accurate, OK POI database I like you can get the phone number info from the POI description (call ahead for dinner reservations?)

(+) Huge glove box, small center consol cubby, no lid on center consol cubby to hide valuables, must move them to the glovebox (or use a rag to cover)

(+) Nice body styling and good looking stock rims

2009 Grand Touring/Crystal White Pearl Mica/automatic/ Sand Leather interior (black leather isn't available here with the white), navigation, sirius, homelink mirror, step plate

Southern California/Los Angeles

yes and no. My first Mazda but hubby drives a 2006 mx5.

Honda Odyssey is what I was looking at and would have bought.

1) Wanted something smaller, yet with sliding doors.
2) Fun/cool factor. Really, which is cooler, a 5 or an Odyssey?
3) Price, although we would and could have done it (we had the Sienna already) who wants to pay ~$600 a month for a mini van?

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options avaliable for it, what would they be?
1) Sliding doors-not a deal breaker but if you have younger kids and have had them once, you would know just how great they are.
2) A trunk (with the 3rd row up) about 6 inches bigger
3) Be able to have satellite AND ipod hooked up to the stereo.
4) The center console, why on earth isn't that a covered compartment, so things can be left in the car yet not openly visible.
5) Rear heat AND air. Come on, this was a absurd way to cut corners. Plenty of inexpensive cars out there have heat and air in the back.

Hubby is bringing home the soft cargo liner (trunk seat cover) today. Tint the windows, possibly a roof rack and or bike hitch. I don't think anything else.

RARELY!

We have only had it 9 days and we were out of town for 3 of those days...
My 5 and I were accosted today for the first time! :D Nice woman in a Lexus stopped in the parking lot, as I was getting out of my car (out in the boonies, so no one can bang my doors!) and said "Oh, I love your car, what is it???" I told her and she replied "I have never seen one, it is beautiful."

Honestly, I don't care what you call it as long as you don't call it some sort of wagon. If you do, I will have to run my husband over with it.

11. What question did I forget to ask?

Any peeves?
Doors should lock when you put the car in gear and where the frack are you supposed to keep loose change???

Last edited:

Touring, silver, auto, basics.

Northeast USA

Yes, unless you count my little Ford Ranger (B-Series in disguise).

Honda Element, Scion Xb, Kia Rondo, Dodge Journey. Not sure what I would have bought, there aren't too many good choices for a small versatile hauler that's not an SUV (I really hate SUVs). Ford Flex looked kind of interesting but $$$$, and I was really considering the Odyssey, but still too big for my taste.

- Chrysler stopped making the short-wheelbase minivans and began turning out nothing but land yachts. The "replacement" was supposed to be the Journey, and it's ugly and hard to get in and out of (no rear sliders, either!). Anyway, they're going down the tubes.

-Price: the 5 is too good a deal to pass up for the money, and retains its value. I did a little study of this, and a used 2006 MZ5 is retaining around 50% of its value, compared to the Chrysler product at about 30%.

-It's really fun to drive! Actually, that may be the #1 reason...

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options available for it, what would they be?

Would be nice to see a manual available at all trim levels, tinted glass, and a moon roof that opened all the way, but so far I really don't see too many missing items.

Not too many, probably just adding a kit so I can re-use my Thule rack for kayaks, etc. Also plan to get the rear windows tinted soon. That's a big one.

A few, there are 2-3 others that I see along my commute.

None as yet, stay tuned.

It's an HTM - Hip Transport Module

Dunno, I forget a lot of stuff myself.

Any peeves?
...where the frack are you supposed to keep loose change???

I keep about $20 in quarters in the tray by the drivers side console vent in my 2007. Since it is behind the steering wheel, it is pretty hard to see from the outside of the car. I initially thought it would fall out in sharp turns or over bumps, but that has yet to happen, in over a year of ownership.

I keep about $20 in quarters in the tray by the drivers side console vent in my 2007. Since it is behind the steering wheel, it is pretty hard to see from the outside of the car. I initially thought it would fall out in sharp turns or over bumps, but that has yet to happen, in over a year of ownership.

Thanks! I just went out and looked, haha! That tray, was never noticed...

quiz response

1. Which model / color / transmission / options / etc. did you get? **2009 Grand Touring, gray, automatic (would have opted for manual if it were offered in GT model), all options and toys except for navigation

2. Whereabouts are you located? **VA suburbs of D.C.

3. Is this your first Mazda? **Yes. All other cars I have ever owned have been VWs or Audis. The 5's sporty handling was a major selling point for me.

4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist? **Scion XB, Honda Fit. Prolly would have gone for the Scion.

5. What were the main three reasons why you chose the Mazda5? **Old car was a 99 Passat V6. I wanted more cargo space (carting stuff from Home Depot in a sedan is a pain), somewhat better mileage (Passat averaged 20 mpg), and a reasonable price.

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options available for it, what would they be? **Manual transmission for the GT trim, stability/traction control, interior plastic that doesn't scratch so easily (and less or it). I shake my head when I see some reviewers suggest the 5 be made bigger and given a more powerful engine. If that's what they want, there are 30-40 other vehicles they can chose from. What makes the 5 unique is its impressive cargo/passenger capacity despite its not-too-bulky dimensions, its decent gas mileage and its agile handling. Making the car bigger and giving it a bigger engine would ruin mileage and impair handling.

7. Do you plan to make any modifications? ** Maybe upgrade speakers.

8. Have you seen any other Mazda5s on the road yet? ** Only one, and I think it was someone's rental (out-of-state tags). Does Mazda ever advertise this model? Do most people end up trading their 5s in after a couple years? Usually when cars disappear from the roads, it doesn't speak well of that particular model ... I drove my last two cars for 10 years each -- hope the 5 has that kind of durability. The boatload of posts I have seen regarding tire wear and creaky, faulty suspension are worrisome -- have those issues been addressed in current model years?

9. What kind of reactions have you received from others on your new Mazda5? **Neighbors said it looks good. Have yet to be stopped by any strangers in parking lots.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what? **No clue, it really defies any single category. I'd call it the grand compromise vehicle: Good passenger/cargo capacity, lots of amenities/toys/creature comforts, sporty handling, good mileage -- all for a price that doesn't break the bank.

11. What question did I forget to ask? ** Impressions so far? The good: love going hard around loop-de-loops (spelling?) and leaving the cars behind me in the dust; very comfortable car to sit in; gas mileage is good and will get better once the new engine has some more miles on it; zenon lights are awesome; seats are perfect height for getting in and out (something my not-too-agile mother will appreciate when she visits); for the most part the car seems to be well-thought out. The not-so-good: Not the smoothest idling vehicle I have ever driven; pick-up is perfectly adequate around town, but somewhat anemic for passing on the highway; at night, the dash lights are either really bright or really dim .... can't seem to find a happy medium; there is durable plastic and scratchy plastic ... if plastic is to be used in a car, it should be the more durable kind.

As odd as it may sound, I wasn't in love with the 5 when I bought it (my partner argued the 5's merits over other vehicles we considered). But I am warming to it and appreciating it more each day. After owning zippy German cars all my life, I think I initially had trouble getting my head around the concept of owning something with sliding doors ...

8. Have you seen any other Mazda5s on the road yet? ** Only one, and I think it was someone's rental (out-of-state tags). Does Mazda ever advertise this model? Do most people end up trading their 5s in after a couple years? Usually when cars disappear from the roads, it doesn't speak well of that particular model ... I drove my last two cars for 10 years each -- hope the 5 has that kind of durability. The boatload of posts I have seen regarding tire wear and creaky, faulty suspension are worrisome -- have those issues been addressed in current model years?

I'll try to get the answer by parts:

• I think the car gets traded more or less like any other I don't see a radical number of previously owned Mazda5 lists in the marketplace (so far). As a matter of fact I've seen a moderate number of people how trade in an early Mazda5 model for a later one (same Mazda5, just newer)
  • The 06 is the one that brought most of the headaches, but *it seems* that most of the flaws have been ironed by now. You can see in the forum many more owners around and less complaints about some of the common gripes that initially surfaced. I've actually experienced several of the improvements in my 08 compared to my 06, but no car is perfect though, it will never be (especially at this price)
  • As per disappearing from the road, here is the good thing: the Mazda5 has never crowded the road in the first place. After almost 4 years of ownership, I still only see 2-3 a week, no more, and some of them are a repeat (i.e. same people lving in the area). The car is still selling decently with zero marketing and Mazda NA Operations seems to be content with the outcome (according to the CEO). I owned a Civic before and, although is nice to have a well known car (parts, service, etc.), seeing one on every traffic light and 20 on every parking lot started to be very annoying
  • As per long time reliability, time will tell I guess

1st day trip

Just got back from our first real chance to let our new 5 stretch its legs on the open road. Took a day trip out to Shenandoah. Highway to get out there, then a couple of hours on twisty, windy, hilly country roads (including a gorgeous stretch of Skyline drive), then highway to get back again. It was raining buckets when we left home, and the 5 handled the water just fine on the hwy. The skies had cleared by the time we reached the Blue Ridge mountains, and we had a blast doing the zoom-zoom thing going up and down and all around the hillsides. The car handled like a champ, never squeeled, never "complained" going around tight curves at 40-45 mph, and had plenty of oomph going up some steep inclines (the tiptronic paddle on the auto tranny proved very useful going down long hills ... just set it on 3rd gear for a leisurely gate without having to keep my foot on the brakes).

About the only slight annoyance was the idling at stops. It's a new car, so it's hard for me to imagine that it needs a tune-up or that any injectors are clogged. But the idle seems to oscilate, from nearly silent to an audible, rapid chugga-chugga that produces a vibration one can feel.

All in all, a great day and lots of fun with the new machine.

^^ Good stuff. Please feel free to post a new thread on this item, so we can keep this thread on the New Owner's Quiz Q&As and clarifications topic

Thanks and keep on Zoomin'

I love my Mazda5!

2008 Mazda5 Sport, Manual Transmission, Galaxy Gray

Springboro, Ohio

Yes, I got it right off the truck and not only was it my first Mazda, it was also my first brand new car.

I looked around a bit, but when I went in to peek at the CX7, I saw the Mazda5 and had to have it. I never really considered any other car once I saw that one because it is exactly what I need.

Price, ability to seat 6 but not as bulky as a minivan, the fact that a family friendly vehicle was available in Manual transmission, sliding doors – for sure, and because it looks cool. Oh, and good safety features.

Definitely rear doors that open with a button, able to get a GT (or at least a touring… I want a factory installed moonroof!) in 5 speed, more storage in the center console. And more colors!! I love that blue-green color that I've seen on the older models, but apparently it's not available on the newer models.

Nah, not really. I’m leasing and plan to get another new one when my lease is up.

When I first got it, I didn’t see many out and about, but I’ve seen more here recently.

I’ve never heard anything negative about it. Several people said that the turning radius is awesome, everyone that’s seen mine has liked it. The moms I know were surprised about the sliding doors.

Mmmm… the perfect alternative to a minivan, when you want the space of a minivan but don’t want such a large vehicle

Last edited:

2007 platinum silver Mazda 5 GT AT

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Yes!

considered Kia Rondo, minivans (Odyssey, Sienna), small SUV's (CRV, RAV4, Tuscon)

- versatility (can seat 6/lots of cargo/sliding doors)
- cost (affordable and good fuel efficiency for a 6 passenger vehicle)
- zoom-zoom performance/looks in a 'minivan'

- turbodiesel would be awesome
- better audio system
- a bit more cargo room behind the 3rd row

will definitely be getting winter tires/rims
will probably tint the windows
will probably upgrade the audio

yes, they seem to be getting more and more popular around here

none yet, I dont pick mine up until monday

space wagon i guess with the convenience of sliding doors like a minivan, but handles like a car

i think that about covers it

06 Touring, 5MT, teal. (there are options?)

Tucson, AZ

Yessiree

Long list: 98-03 (2nd gen) Odyssey (until I discovered the tranny probs it was #1), Pacifica, Caddy SRX V8, Audi or Volvo 7-seat wagon, Dodge Journey, Ford Flex

gas mileage, manual tranny, killer urban-trendsetter looks!

Available 5MT on 08-09 touring, better final drive gearing on 5MT(4000 rpm @ 85 mph WTF?), or a 6MT, outboard armrests on center seats, 6+1 seating, 3 more inches behind rear seat, better A/C (oh, just 3, sorry, but that's really ALL I would change!)

Researching the difference btw 06-07 & 08-09 A/C, as mine is really weak and blows rather warm. Maybe a console change to get rear air as well when wrecks start showing up. I also would like to get the Speed3 engine/tranny, but only if the added torque and 6th gear means lower rpms on the freeway. I may also be looking for the 6-disk mp3 player. I really like the way the car looks already, stock.

Looks like they recently were sold into rental slavery. 09 Sports are EVERYWHERE now!!

I love pulling up next to a 1st gen Odyssey owner. They look over & sigh. Also been turning heads of passengers in somewhat trendy compact cars.

I call it a Mini-mini. It has no real North American description. In the UK, there are lots of competitive products, and it falls under the MPV category. Here, it can even compete with the anti-social urban trendsetters like the xB & Soul.

"Would you buy another?"

Last edited:
In an effort to learn more about new Mazda5 owners, I created a little quiz. Please answer only if you have bought a Mazda5:

2008 GT/Red metallic/5-spd auto/autodimming rearview mirror/compass
Upstate of S. Carolina - Greenville metro area
Nope, nor is it my first 5. Had an '06 Touring before this one.
Honda Civic EXL
Auto on/off Xenon headlights, adjustable fore/aft and reclining 2nd row
seats, more interior room
Make window tinting standard/available from the factory; auto up/down
on all power windows; more integrated and less-techy dashboard/
console look.
No mechanical ones - want window tint & upgraded stereo.
Tons of 'em!
9. What kind of reactions have you received from others on your new Mazda5? My sis-in-law thinks it's a very cleverly-designed people mover.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what? Microvan

"How much do you LOVE your Mazda 5?"

2006 / black / sport / auto / cargo area liner / bumper guard

Carlsbad, CA

Yes, the first new car too

Looked at the Scion xB and the Mazda 6 SW. Not sure what else we would have bought. The Mazda 5 was exactly what we were looking for.

Is sized and drives like a regular car.
Gas-mileage
Versatility of the interior layout

Sell it with the Euro-style roof rails in the US !!!
Offer the diesel engine like in Europe !!!
Remote open, power sliding doors.

Only got a short antenna to clear the garage door.

Not at first but more and more now.

Only positive. Lots of people ask about size, gas mileage and handling. We know at least two families who have bought one after talking to us (maybe we shouldd ask Mazda for a kickback).

It is a real minivan. The so-called minivans like the Caravan, Siena, Odysse etc. have nothing mini about them anymore. Those are more like a mini-bus.

Do you feel the zoom-zoom? (cabpatch)

5 survey

07 GT Black 5 spd not sure options vs included
Courtenay Vancouver Island
yes
Ford Ranger supercab 4x4, VW Jetta/Passat wagon
Cool, right size, sporty
Arm rests for all seats, heated seats/mirrors, more power (2.5?)
added bumper plate, bug deflector, will go with roof rack/rails.
Our town has dozens (25k people)
Great deal, what do you mean "it's not a minivan?"
Sport wagon
What do you dislike (pedals too close together)

09 Grand Touring Black, Cargo net, all weather floormats
Washington DC suburbs
no, previous was Mazda protege and Mazda Tribute
4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist.
Subaru outback, Toyota Rav 4, Hyundai Santa Fe
the bang for buck. all the trapings of a minivan for 20 Grand
roof rails, tinted windows and more cubby areas for driver
tinted the windows and will go with roof rack/rails.
about 1 per day
wow, that thing is cool, and it has sliding doors
it's a mini-mini van
What do you dislike (pedals too close together)

Sport / Stormy Blue / Automatic / "Popular equipment package" (6-disc changer, side sill extensions, spoiler) & roof rack

Austin, TX, USA

No - I bought a GLC Deluxe in college and then a 626 turbo.

We looked at everything in the $15-$20K price range. The short list of others included the Scion xB, Suzuki Grand Vitara and Chevrolet HHR. We probably would've gone with the Suzuki out of the others.

1. 3rd seating row
2. Fun to drive
3. Good enough mileage to qualify for the $4500 CARS rebate

1. Better armrests (are they for real?) - or better yet, a center console compartment.
2. Ability to remove the seats (or fold them away like the Caravan).
3. Extenders on the visors.

We're having them add the luggage rack -- that's it for the foreseeable future.

I hadn't even noticed them until we bought ours -- since then I've seen 3 or 4 -- one today in the same color.

Great. Everyone loves how it looks and is comfortable in it. Actually my stepson/daughter-in-law are looking to buy a new car and that's what they had decided on too, unbeknown to us when we bought ours.

I've described it to people as a mini-minivan.

Not sure, but the answer is 42.

Well I'm new here, so this looks like as good a place as any to start.

2009 Sport, red, auto/manual tran

PA

Yes

I'd still probably be looking

1)Ability to carry 5-6 passengers if needed but since my oldest is now driving we rarely have more than 4 in the car at once, so we didn't want another full sized mini-van.
2)It wasn't shaped like a BOX
3)good handling

more leg room in the last row of seats, maybe space that could be alternated between storage space behind the last row.

7. Do you plan to make any modifications? just a roof rack

8. Have you seen any other Mazda5s on the road yet? a few

9. What kind of reactions have you received from others on your new Mazda5? Everyone has really liked it. The sliding rear doors suprises people since their first impression is that its a car.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what? I consider it a crossover, but since it took the place of our minivan it gets called "the van" -poor thing.

11. What question did I forget to ask? Not sure, but I'm sure I'll think of something as soon as a click "submit reply"

Back