Mazda5 Owner's Quiz

eh, why not
1. Which model / color / transmission / options / etc. did you get?
06 Touring, Carbon Grey Mica, Sport AT.

2. Whereabouts are you located?
Socal

3. Is this your first Mazda?
3rd. 91 FC, 02 Protege5, 06 Mz5

4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist?
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna.

5. What were the main three reasons why you chose the Mazda5?
$10k less than those two above.

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options avaliable for it, what would they be?
A little more power, power sliding doors.

7. Do you plan to make any modifications?
Already tinted to 30% all the way around. That's it.

8. Have you seen any other Mazda5s on the road yet?
Yup.

9. What kind of reactions have you received from others on your new Mazda5?
Nothing negative. My friends love it.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what?
i'll go with space wagon.

11. What question did I forget to ask?yo mama.

06 Touring (GT), Carbon Grey, Sport AT.

Mississauga, ON.

Nope, 4th.

4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist?
CX-7.

Needed a family car, it wasn't a typical minivan, and it's a Mazda.

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options avaliable for it, what would they be?
DVD option, NAV, and rear air.

tint 30% all the way around, and DVD for rear seating.

Yes.

They like it, but are still confused and think it's a regular minivan.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what?
whatever.

11. What question did I forget to ask?
Isn't there enough already?

Touring/Phantom Blue/5 speed/Moonroof-CD Changer-Dimming compass mirror-Rubber mats
Texas
Yes
Had a Caliber R/T on order. The pizz-poor Dodge dealer couldn't give me an updat on when it was gonna get built after 12 wks, so I stumbled on the Mazda 5 and really liked it.
Tilt/Telescope wheel. Decent get up and go. 4 Captains chair seating.
AWD option. Wider stock Tires. A bright yellow or sunburst Orange color option.
Yes
One
A subdued, yeah, it's pretty cool.
A croisant toaster oven (crazy)
How long is the wolf river?

Just realized I never filled this out...

Touring/Carbon Grey/5 speed/Moonroof deflector/Bumper step plate
Colorado
Yes
Nothing probably for a year or so. We were driving a getting old Ford Windstar that we payed nearly nothing for. We have been waiting for a car like this to show up on the market (I thought it was a unattainable dream). We bought without looking at anything else a week after I saw the first info on it.
Manual Transmission, third row, gas milage
AWD option. Ability to tow. More air vents.
I added the bumper step plate and I'll tint as soon as I have some extra $$, but otherwise probably not.
Yep, probably about 10 or so.
Most of my mom friends really like it though some of them torture me by calling it a van. But the surprising reactions have been from my single musician friend (who is obsessed with it) and my no kids, bike racing, friends who have a protege wagon and love my car.
I call it a wagon. Actually I usually just call it a car it feels like a car to drive.
Demographic info. 34.9 yo, married, two daughters ages 10 & 8

Last edited:
Kaian said:
Which model / color / transmission / options / etc. did you get?
Touring, green/silver whatever, auto, whatever came with it.
Hawaii
Yup.
Boy...ran the gammot on that one! Since this car is our 3rd car and is used 98% for business I started with high end cars such as the 300C & Magnum / Charger R/T. I then made a list of what I needed. 6 passenger, nice looks, good economy, space for my product, easy to get in and out of etc. etc. oh...keep it around 20K. So that led me to the Pacifica (too darn much $$) and the Ford Freestyle (still a lot of $$) and minivans. minivans were out as far as my wife was concerned as we've always had those for business. Time for something new I guess. Enter: The Mazda 5. I saw it as a small Auto Show we have here every year. Once I saw it I knew it was the perfect business car. The one I had been looking for for many years. SOLD! (flash)
1. Price 2. Functionality 3. Content for price. (What you get for what you pay...or...value. )
You know...I think about this a lot. Having read all the other posts. I gotta say, some of those things would push the price up to non-value territory. I wouldn't have bought this car if is was even $1000-1500 more. I cannot limit it to 3. :) I also try to look at from a manufacturer's pointof view where cost vs. profit comes into play.

Interior:
The armrest thing is an understandable omission but it really should be added not only to the front but outboard on the 2nd row would be nive.
Door pockets in the sliding doors would be nice, too.
Another light over the 3rd row.
More fabric choices would be cool but would probably push the price up. It is the omission of many of the things we "complain" about that keeps the price low. Catch-22, I guess.
I love the European 2nd row but do not know if it offers the easy access to the 3rd row as the US/Canadian counterpart.

Exterior:
Nothing. I really like the exterior.
Well...a flip up glass in the hatch would be cool but I didn't even think of it until I read other here had it on their 'wish list".

Drivetrain:
Auto 5-speed w/ manual shift
Yes...beating a dead horse (deadhorse but more power is needed.
Clean up that diesel and bring over the pond. Do that: and the sales will go through the roof!!!!!
Probably not.
Yes...a few. Seems to be fairly popular here even though Mazda does NO advertising of it at all!
WOW! That's cool! What is it?!
We call it the mini-minivan.
Demographics...as stated above.

Touring / Cardinal Red / Auto Trans / Auto-Dim mirror with compass, Moonroof wind deflector, Rear Bumper step plate, front mask

Middle Tennessee

yes

probably nothing, spotted the 5 at a car show and fell in love; otherwise would have kept my VW Jetta until we had kids to fill a minivan

Extra seating, sliding doors, hatch, storage/cargo, looks,

passenger armrest, blue tinted anti-glare side view mirrors (Jetta had them, they were great), rear air vents

probably not, but did tint the windows with 35% legal tint--looks pretty sharp

Me, no...but hubby had seen 3 between the first day we met the 5 (at the car show) and the day we bought

"That sure is different.", "This is sooo cool."

Hubby calls it a MAV, I call it a microvan or a minivan in a car.

11. What question did I forget to ask? I have no idea.

Sport, Strato Blue, manual, no options off the lot. We added a cassette player and splash guards.

Maryland

No--we have a '99 Protege LX and we traded in an '04 MPV ES for the 5.

No other vehicles. The MPV was perfectly fine, but it was bigger than what we really needed--we need the occasional third row seat for car pooling and grandparents, but that's it. One day I casually mentioned to my wife that a smaller alternative now existed to the MPV, and she jumped at the chance to have a smaller, efficient vehicle that's much more entertaining to drive.

(Down)size, handling, fuel efficiency.

Arm rests on the sliding doors; some other color for the interior besides black; carpet that doesn't attract dirt as easily.

No. Heck, even my Protege is completely stock.

Yes--there's a Mazda5 several streets over from ours. However, we just went on a 2500 mile road trip and saw exactly one Mazda5 (in Nashville).

They LOVE it!

Microvan. Side note--Maryland has different license plates for passenger cars and minivans/SUVs, and the dealer incorrectly told us that the 5 needed a minivan/SUV class "M" plate. As you all probably know (or may not know!), the 5 is classified by the EPA as a car, and I spent countless hours straightening this goof out before I finally got the correct plates for the 5.

11. What question did I forget to ask?[/QUOTE]

Others have mentioned demographics. 34 years old, married, two kids (6-1/2 and 2 years), one dog, mired in suburbia.

Hi there!

First post here as I discovered the forum searching for HIDs :D. Seems like a very nice forum board!

Canadian M5 GT, tints, cassette player for interfacing with ipod.

Montreal, Canada!

Oh yeah! And from my 1st experience, not the last I guess.

Oh I don't know. Probably would have gone and renew my VW Jetta.

1. Price
2. Space
3. Sporty look

1. Add a standard option for an ipod interface
2. Heated front buckets
3. Mmmm, a Turbo!

Since I'm renting, not really...

In QC, there are full of 'em, well sort of. Demand is sky high, there are some on roads, but there are delivery delays.

Very positive. I think they like.

I think microvan, though I have to be very careful not using the word "van" with my girlfriend lol ;-).

Dunno, but hey i'm 33, father of 2 beautiful lil' 18 months boys (twins) - so yeah, I needed the space lol).

owners quiz

Kaian said:
In an effort to learn more about new Mazda5 owners, I created a little quiz. Please answer only if you have bought a Mazda5:

1. Which model / color / transmission / options / etc. did you get?[mazda5 2006 sport , silver, auto, tinted mirror look, side sills, fog lights , 6cd changer, wheel locks, cargo cover, car cover, free washers and free wax jobs for 3 yrs, and extra 1 yr warranty.
2. Whereabouts are you located?palm harbor, florida
(tampa bay)
yes
4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist?mini

price , ride, looks.
6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options avaliable for it, what would they be?more power, more colors, better sound system, arm rest.

7. Do you plan to make any modifications?yes, have a few acc. on order from hong kong.

yes about 3 more.
crazy looks
10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what?my ride

none(enguard)

Kaian said:
In an effort to learn more about new Mazda5 owners, I created a little quiz. Please answer only if you have bought a Mazda5:

Mazda5 Touring Edition, 5spd, true silver metallic
Temperance, Michigan
Yes
Mazda6 wagon, Subaru Legacy Wagon, Passat Wagon, Chevy HHR
5spd, room for six, handling
1. Traction control, esp
2. Grey or more neutral interior color, I am so tired of sweeping the inside:)
3. 30 more hp
Tint and KN until warranty is up then who knows
About six, three in town and three on road trip
A mix of confusion and smiles more or less "What the hell is that?"
space wagon, see the list of what else I was considering buying.
None

Touring, Platinum, Auto, Navi and Sunroof wind deflector thingy

So cal, OC area
Nope, had a 00 protege a while back
Mitsubishi Montero (glad the 5 exists) :)
It looked like the smartest car on the road (extremely practical), good gas mileage compared to most SUV's, 6 seats
.....ummm.......dont know yet :p
tint, HID headlamps, and DVD
only a small handful although there are 2 others at the parking lot here at work
Whoa...what is it...a mini-minivan?
SPACEWAGON/PEOPLEMOVER/MAV

Last edited:
sport strato blue automatic(although being able to switch manny is cool) no special ops to leave room for the things i want to do

Los Angeles/Carson/Buena Park California

nope, previously owned a 1997 626

Really wasn't considering anything else

1. Can fit me, my hubby and our 4 kids in it.
2. Not ur typical mom vehicle
3. Look of a mini but 10x sportier

1. nothing
2. nothing
3. nothing

researching in to what mods are available. Found a CAI and looking for some new shoes and whatever else is available

A couple

9. What kind of reactions have you received from others on your new Mazda5? Got stopped by the sherriffs here in Carson just so he could look at it. Then he ended up mistaking it for toyota matrix.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what? crossover of a microminispacevanwagon

10 questions was enough

Kaian said:

2.3S Phantom Blue, AT, Door pack, HID etc

Hiroshima ken, Japan

No, RX7 (pre-fatherhood)

Honda Oddysey, Honda StepWgn, Mitsubishi Outlander

Functionality, Style, Handling, Price, Isofix points

A. More tactile interior - less hard plastic.
B. CVT or 5Spd auto
C. Availability of DISI engine

Probably not

Given that I live in Hiroshima (ie near the factory) not as many as I expected. White and Grey are the colours of choise in Japan, so Phantom Blue is a little less common.

Only positive ones

I guess it depends where you hail from. In Japan its defined as a minivan. I'm European, so its an MAV

Only you could know the answer to that question

crazycool78 said:
sport strato blue automatic(although being able to switch manny is cool) no special ops to leave room for the things i want to do

Los Angeles/Carson/Buena Park California

nope, previously owned a 1997 626

Really wasn't considering anything else

1. Can fit me, my hubby and our 4 kids in it.
2. Not ur typical mom vehicle
3. Look of a mini but 10x sportier

1. nothing
2. nothing
3. nothing

researching in to what mods are available. Found a CAI and looking for some new shoes and whatever else is available

A couple

9. What kind of reactions have you received from others on your new Mazda5? Got stopped by the sherriffs here in Carson just so he could look at it. Then he ended up mistaking it for toyota matrix.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what? crossover of a microminispacevanwagon

10 questions was enough

I'll be seein' you around crazycool...I live in BP
(burnout) .. zoom zoom

Last edited:
Sport Plat Silver/AT/whatever comes with a Sport

Peninsula Area, NorCal

2nd

Honda Element

Price,Reputation of the 3 chassis,flexibility

Easier access to rear speakers, more generic stereo fascia, a bit more power

Already started !

Yes

Some quizzical

MAV,mini-minivan

??

Touring, Stellar greensilver, Manual, 6 disc changer

RTP NC

No, this replaced a 95 Protege

Subaru Outback, Forester
Ford Freestyle, Focus, Five hundred
Mazda6

Price, Price/Space, Mileage

Passenger seat armrest
Outboard armrests for 2nd row seats
Bluetooth phone compatable

Roof racks

A few. The first one we noticed, we crawled through at our daughters school, which caused us to research it more.

What is it?

When forced I call it a space wagon or a cross between a minivan and a station wagon. Usually I call it "The Mazda".

Demographics:
mid 30's, married, 6.5 year old and 1 year old.

GT / Platinum Silver / Manual 5 spd / Climate Control / Roof Rack

Kelowna BC Canada

No, but the last one was a 1976 808 Station Wagon! Drove that puppy until it died a dignified death.

I was looking for station wagons that would fit 5 comfortably along with my dog. If I hadn't found the Mazda 5 I would have bought the Passat Wagon for $10K more!

Price / Space / Uniqueness

V6 engine / iPod/MP3 player compatible / additional data port in console

Window tinting

More and more, we give each other waves and thumb ups!

"You're right, it's not a van!" and "Sporty", (disbelievingly) "How much?"

It's Cooooool!

11. What question did I forget to ask?[/QUOTE]
Where can I send the winning lottery ticket to?

Kaian said:

I ordered my 07 GT Automatic (yawn) in platinum silver with expresso colour leather seat. That's the only colour for leather that they offer, and I have yet to see/feel it.

Just north of Toronto, Canada

No. I drove a Miata (MX5) before we had our first kid. Still missing it.

Other regular minivans. If not for the Mazda5, we would keep driving our 2002 Sienna for a few more years.

Sliding door (so the kids won't open the door and ding my other car in the garage); fuel economy; extra seats for occasional passengers.

I only test drove it and love it so far. I guess I will feel the need for some other practical improvements (e.g. passenger arm rest) when I drive it everyday.

Looking at iPod integration. The 1-disk CD & no cassette is not sufficient for even my daily commute.

Lots in the Toronto area. I was concerned about the earlier recalls, otherwise I could have got my Mazda5 last year.

Will answer when I get it, hopefully by the end of September.

Call it whatever you like. It is the start of a new trend, at least in North America. Be the first!

How about: How do you want people to see you as a Mazda5 owner? Trend setter? Chic parent? Environmentalist? For me it's all of the above.

Just love it!!

Kaian said:

GT / Silver / AT...window tint (dealer film type), optional carpets, bumper protector
Montreal
Yes
Considered Honda sedan. No, would not have bought another Mazda
1. Versatilty 2. Price 3 Car size
Higher quality cargo carpeting, Passenger arm rest, Better paint (if it really is a problem)
No
All kinds
Sexy look, versality
Although I hate to admit it..it is a van even if a small one
Age group....I in my 60s and this is the perfect vehicle for my wife and I to use in town and occasionally snowbirding

2006 Mazda 5 [Mz5] Sport / Stratos Blue / Auto / Pop Pkg (6 Disc CD, Extd Side Sills, Spoiler); Chrome Exhaust Tip; Door Bump Strips; Cargo Net;
NorthEast PA - Poconos
Yes; I own a Toyota 4R & a Nissan Titan. Traded in a Honda Accord Coupe (2nd one!).
Nissan Versa / Mazda 3-5dr / Toyota Matrix-Pontiac Vibe / Honda Civic sdn / Honda Fit / Toyota Yaris
Would have bought the Versa.

Size / Value / Standard Safety
Changes? A 5sd or CVT Auto to increase fuel economy, acceleration / Armrest for front passenger / More storage space near driver (sunglasses, coins, maps, CDs) / Rear AC vents / Auto Locking Doors
Options? Power Lowering Rear Hatch Window / AWD / CVT / Skid Control

Yes Fog Lights at least
One
None yet Just got it!
Me-36: Microvan/wagon
Wife: Perfect
17 mo. Son: Buu Car

Why did you purchase the Mazda 5?

A: It came down to the Mazda5 and the Nissan Versa with a $2K price advantage.

I already had a commuter vehicle (~ 160mi/day w/ 90% Highway) an Accord Coupe but needed something with more doors and room so I can fit an infant car seat. So Ive got a requirement for a five door hatch with 450-500 mi/tank range, similar or better safety features (full airbag coverage, ABS) and unwilling to pay higher monthly payments than compared with my current commuter. The wife has reservations against used vehicles so I initially looked at the Fit, Versa, Yaris, & Matrix/Vibe, so let me share my experiences:

1. Since the Fit, Versa, Yaris are all new vehicles with limited availability, there is little to no dealing off MSRP. Although with the Toyota it wouldnt matter anyway; they didnt budge on the Matrix even though I was looking at an 06 model (record sales and limited inventory means no negotiation is required on the dealers part). Pontiac dealer was willing to bend more but not enough to match current vehicle monthly payments. And with everyone jumping on economy cars I dont think pricing will change much in the future.

2. Since these are for the most part entry level vehicles where price point is a major concern the majority of these vehicles are basically strippers. Not a big issue with the Fit & Versa as they are fairly well equipped in base models; much more problematic with the Yaris & Matrix/Vibe as you have to deal with Toyota regional distributors who decide what option packages will be available (which indirectly affects the Vibe as it is produced at the same plant as the trix).

I decided against the Trix/Vibe as the requirement for full airbags, ABS forced me to look at fully loaded and/or AWD versions (where the range would have been less than 350 mi per tank). In addition the Corrolla on which these vehicles are based is due to be replaced next year so there would be a significant depreciation hit (& even worse for the Pontiac version).

Yaris was the next to go as it lacks the five door body style and to get the full airbags & ABS would have been difficult even without the lack of availability.

The Fit had everything I was looking for standard but lacks range so that left me with the Versa.

Versas got a surprising amount of interior space and compared to its competition a fairly powerful motor. Its well equipped (although considering its Tiida roots as a B segment luxury car it lacks ABS as standard) including tire pressure monitoring system as an added safety enhancement and with the CVT comparable fuel economy to its competitors with ~ 475 mi range.

So Im ready to make the plunge on a red Versa SL with CVT & ABS @ MSRP ($16,500) however, very few ABS equipped Versas are being shipped. To the dealers credit they were able to locate two due to be delivered in the region and they were hoping to pull a trade for it; but due to limited availability they were unable to get the vehicle and will probably have to order one.

Now I love my special order Titan that I had to wait almost four months for; but I dont want to wait until January for one because by then winter will be in full force and Versas will not be selling at MSRP.

So I expand my search to include previously disregarded vehicles the Honda Civic (EX because we would want a 60/40 rear seat, alloys, rear discs and the sunroof would have been nice no deal consummated because record sales and limited inventory means no real negotiation is required on the dealers part -- just $500 off MSRP @ Accords original dealership) and the Mazda3-5dr.

I decide to take the wife to the local Mazda/Honda dealership to compare and see what deals we could get on the 06s.

We walk in to the Mazda side and inspect the nearest 3-5dr on the showroom (the lack of rear legroom and range vrs the Versa in addition to limited inventory of 06s [black-too maintenance intensive color] and 07s means no real negotiation is required on the dealers part off MSRP). As the salesman looks for the keys of a 3-5dr for a test drive I notice this thing on the showroom floor

What the heck is it? It looks like a I dunno its got 5 doors a scaled up Matrix Wait! The rear door slides open. WTF? a MINIVAN? its got a 3rd row, center and front captain chairs, very roomy & full airbags WTF? NO! It doesnt really look like a minivan; its way too small to be a minivan WHAT IS THIS THING?

Sticker says Mazda 5 $19,495 too bad Wait its an 06! Marked down to $18,500 Interesting Does it have ABS? EBD? Curtain airbag coverage for the 3rd row? ISO/LATCH? Even in the third row? YES-STANDARD! How big is the tank? 16 gal. 16*26 = 416mi, a little short Whats under the hood? 160hp/150tq, 2.3l. Not bad What does it weigh? 3400lbs its definitely bigger than everything else Ive thought about Sure Ill take it for a test drive

Last edited:
Back