Mazda5 No Longer Recommended by Consumer Reports!

The Mazda5 did well in 2005 EuroNCAP testing and 2008 NHTSA testing as well. This is the first recent crash test I’ve seen, and I’m disappointed but not surprised. The basic structure probably hasn’t changed in a decade.

The IIHS SOL test simulates hitting an immobile pole or tree, and lots of recent designs have flunked. However, the Volvo XC90, a 12 year old design, breezed through, demonstrating that other manufacturers have previously been better engineering their vehicles long before this test was available. FWIW, the current Mazda3 aced IIHS testing.

My personal concern is: my eldest kid is eligible for a learner’s permit in 2 years, and I was thinking of have him drive the 5 despite the lack of ESC as it’s compact with good visibility. Now, I’m not so sure.

Last edited:
The only result that alarms me is the "small overlap", not surprising at all if you have ever removed the bumper cover, you can see the crash bar only reaches a few inches past the radiator grill. The only thing to absorb the small overlap impact is the front suspension then the lower A pillar, then apparently your legs.

I rode a motorcycle for several years, and I ride a bicycle now. There's no crash protection with either of them. I learned to do everyone else's driving for them; I do the same when I drive my "not recommended" Mazda5.

I watched the IIHS videos and just realized the "small overlap" is into what looks like a non deformable wall so as long as you only hit cars and not the corner of very strong walls you should be at least better off than the dummy in the pictures/videos.

I don't understand this new test, don't most accidents involve a car hitting another car not the corner of walls?

Also I think a simple airbag software update for this "small overlap" is to always have the side airbags deploy when the drivers steering wheel deploys, looks like it will help prevent your head from leaving the cabin area, won't help your legs though.

I always understood why there is a small overlap test but why is it into a non deformable solid wall when other tests are done with a simulated car (or deformable)
If they used a simulated car for the small overlap the results will not be as bad, if crashing into poles is so common why not do the same test for all impact tests.

You know, I can't help to think more and more that this SOL test is just a bowl of crap. Maybe I am biased because I now officially own the "unsafest" small car according to IIHS. First of all IIHS is solely funded by the companies that also happen to charge you an arm and a leg to insure your car. Meaning of course they need to come up with harder and harsher tests to justify the "increase" in premiums. Secondly, am I living under a rock or something because most pole/tree related accidents (and please correct me if I am wrong) are either because the driver was drunk or racing. Neither of which one should be driving or engaging in the first place. Lastly, I feel that the reason IIHS even puts this absurd test in place is truly related to the high cost of property and bodily damage drunk drivers and idiot street racers cost them. The chances are that if you are alert and not drunk or racing and you happen to get into an accident it most likely will not be dead smack directly into a pole or a tree at 40+ mph. Our Mazda5s could have fared a little better in the side impact test but in my opinion I don't think it was horribly bad either. As someone else said earlier, as long as you don't run any red lights or jam into the intersection as soon as the light turns green without visually clearing the intersection, chances are you will not get into a T-bone type of collision. Just to end this, our Mazda5 did quite well in the MOL test which is a more realistic test.

... [if] you happen to get into an accident it most likely will not be dead smack directly into a pole or a tree at 40+ mph. ...

Well, if you are going to get into a frontal impact, you should try really hard to make it a full frontal impact and hit your target square with the middle of the front bumper. (no sarcasm)

Cars are the strongest and most protective when hit square in the middle of the bumper, where all the crash structures can contribute and do their job to the best of their ability.

This is by no means new information, but these test results are just an example of how the type of impact matters just as much as the car.

Well, if you are going to get into a frontal impact, you should try really hard to make it a full frontal impact and hit your target square with the middle of the front bumper. (no sarcasm)

When the "slowdown" from adrenaline happens, you can make quite a few decisions during a crash. It happened to me, guy turned left in front/into me, I hit brakes, horn, and turned wheel all at the same time, then steered back into him so he wouldn't hit the door of my passenger. Still amazes me I can remember it in slow motion, was like a movie.

When the "slowdown" from adrenaline happens, you can make quite a few decisions during a crash. It happened to me, guy turned left in front/into me, I hit brakes, horn, and turned wheel all at the same time, then steered back into him so he wouldn't hit the door of my passenger. Still amazes me I can remember it in slow motion, was like a movie.

This is true. When I was hit by a dump truck everything was in slow motion. Glass shattering, curtain airbags deploying, spinning and flipping, up until I blacked out. Sucks to come to and not know which way is up, with the added confusion of having snow on you and hearing multiple voices.

This platform dates way back, so it's not surprising the results. This will only push Mazda into discontinuing the 5 soon. Only thing I worry about is having someone in the 3rd row and getting rear ended.

All,

We are law firm based in Washington DC and we are investigating potential claims for misrepresentation against Mazda based on the recently released IIHS report. Although Mazda typically has a good safety track record, this recent report is a cause for concern so we wanted to reach out to you.

We'd love to hear from owners of the new 2014 Mazda5, as well as anyone else who can offer
Bla Blaaaaa spam spam spam.

Its not like Mazda has ever advertised the car is 5-star crash tested / top safety pick or anything. They state it has side airbags and traction and dynamic stability control. The current version was also never tested by NHTSA but the previous version scored 5-stars for front, side driver and 4 stars on side passenger, which NHTSA claims is not comparable to the new testing method. So for a car that's been on the market for nearly a decade without any major updates, I'm not surprised, especially since IIHS just keeps creating more harder to pass crash tests as soon as the current available vehicles pass all of them with flying colors.

Other words, please take your ambulance chasing elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with this stuff is that everyone quickly forgets that this car passed every crash test with flying colors until the IIHS's most recent test, including the offset front crash where all the force is concentrated on only 25% of the front of the vehicle hitting an immovable barrier. I don't know about you, but that seems to simulate the kind of accident that is the drivers fault. That's hitting a tree or a telephone pole or a wall.

If this car was "safe" a couple of years ago before this new test, then it's safe now. The IIHS just raises it's standards periodically and adds new tests that are harder to pass, and most cars don't do as well on those tests until they make some changes. This happens time and time again. It's a good thing because we want the IIHS to drive safety forward. But it's silly to get anxious and filled with righteous indignation over it. Mazda built the 5 to pass all the crash tests out there with flying colors when it was designed, and it did. Anything you looked at a couple of years ago would have told you it was "excellent" and a safe car. It's not any less safe now, it just didn't do as well on a new test that is much more demanding, guess what, A LOT of vehicles fell short of the mark on that test. Some will be redesigned, like the CX-5, other car makers will wait until their next redesign to address it. In the case of the Mazda5, it is an extremely low volume seller for Mazda (they sold only 7,000 this year in the U.S.) and it's going to be discontinued after this model year. So, in my opinion, it's completely forgivable that Mazda doesn't go back to the drawing board and redesign the front end of this car to perform better on one test, when it already passes every other test with great scores.

It's going to be OK, I promise. The Mazda5 is still a very safe car, but cars get safer all the time. There will always be something safer, and there are plenty of cars that are LESS safe than the Mazda5 that are still sold. If you looked at cars designed 10 years ago you would have a hard time finding many that perform as well as the Mazda5 does on the all of the same tests.

Cars will continue to get safer. Mazda has done nothing wrong here. There's no scandal or conspiracy here. If you are really worried you are going get T-boned by a cement truck or drive head first into a brick wall with only 25% of the front of your car, then don't buy a Mazda 5, maybe you should get a Ford F-450, fill the door frames with concrete and hang spare tires off the sides like a tugboat.

Me? I'm OK with any car that gets high scores on all the recent crash tests except for 1 or 2 extreme ones that were just added and which many cars don't score high on. I like to be sensible about safety but I'm not going to live my life in fear.

If you are concerned about safety, I suggest you focus on improving the single most important bit of safety equipment in any car. The driver.

The problem with this stuff is that everyone quickly forgets that this car passed every crash test with flying colors until the IIHS's most recent test, including the offset front crash where all the force is concentrated on only 25% of the front of the vehicle hitting an immovable barrier. I don't know about you, but that seems to simulate the kind of accident that is the drivers fault. That's hitting a tree or a telephone pole or a wall.

If this car was "safe" a couple of years ago before this new test, then it's safe now. The IIHS just raises it's standards periodically and adds new tests that are harder to pass, and most cars don't do as well on those tests until they make some changes. This happens time and time again. It's a good thing because we want the IIHS to drive safety forward. But it's silly to get anxious and filled with righteous indignation over it. Mazda built the 5 to pass all the crash tests out there with flying colors when it was designed, and it did. Anything you looked at a couple of years ago would have told you it was "excellent" and a safe car. It's not any less safe now, it just didn't do as well on a new test that is much more demanding, guess what, A LOT of vehicles fell short of the mark on that test. Some will be redesigned, like the CX-5, other car makers will wait until their next redesign to address it. In the case of the Mazda5, it is an extremely low volume seller for Mazda (they sold only 7,000 this year in the U.S.) and it's going to be discontinued after this model year. So, in my opinion, it's completely forgivable that Mazda doesn't go back to the drawing board and redesign the front end of this car to perform better on one test, when it already passes every other test with great scores.

It's going to be OK, I promise. The Mazda5 is still a very safe car, but cars get safer all the time. There will always be something safer, and there are plenty of cars that are LESS safe than the Mazda5 that are still sold. If you looked at cars designed 10 years ago you would have a hard time finding many that perform as well as the Mazda5 does on the all of the same tests.

Cars will continue to get safer. Mazda has done nothing wrong here. There's no scandal or conspiracy here. If you are really worried you are going get T-boned by a cement truck or drive head first into a brick wall with only 25% of the front of your car, then don't buy a Mazda 5, maybe you should get a Ford F-450, fill the door frames with concrete and hang spare tires off the sides like a tugboat.

Me? I'm OK with any car that gets high scores on all the recent crash tests except for 1 or 2 extreme ones that were just added and which many cars don't score high on. I like to be sensible about safety but I'm not going to live my life in fear.

If you are concerned about safety, I suggest you focus on improving the single most important bit of safety equipment in any car. The driver.

+1

Well said...

Me? I'm OK with any car that gets high scores on all the recent crash tests except for 1 or 2 extreme ones that were just added and which many cars don't score high on. I like to be sensible about safety but I'm not going to live my life in fear. [/B]

I'm not as concerned with the new small front overlap test, though I always have felt the driver's footwell in the 5 is rather cramped. The IIHS result that opened my eyes is the side impact rating. A few other cars received an "Acceptable" score, but only the 5 received a "Marginal" score. Even the Smart ForTwo received a "Good" score on that. If I'm hauling kids around in the second row, that's a valid concern for me. And I'm guessing there are cars going back more than 10 years that have better results in side impact.

No amount of driving acumen is going to prevent someone from T-boning me if I'm stuck at an intersection trying to make a left and some idiot flies through a red light. Fact is, driving is dangerous, and there are other drivers you can't control that threaten your life. One measure we can take to at least reduce the odds of that threat, even a fraction of a percent, is to purchase and drive the safest cars we can find.

Last edited:
I'm not as concerned with the new small front overlap test, though I always have felt the driver's footwell in the 5 is rather cramped. The IIHS result that opened my eyes is the side impact rating. A few other cars received an "Acceptable" score, but only the 5 received a "Marginal" score. Even the Smart ForTwo received a "Good" score on that. If I'm hauling kids around in the second row, that's a valid concern for me. And I'm guessing there are cars going back more than 10 years that have better results in side impact.

Agree 100% with you. However, I don't care about my kids enough to take the wallop of a loss on a Mazda5.

I grew up in a 1985 Toyota Van LE dual sunroof, engine under the driver.

My kids are lucky they have a 2012 Mazda 5/Lexus CT/MS3 to drive them around, and not a rickshaw or a tuk tuk.

Parents are killing their kids by leaving windows up on a hot day. My kids have it pretty good, considering.

They can live with the crappy safety of the Mazda5, otherwise they can walk or push their own $650 dual stroller themselves.

Most of the 3rd world kids don't even have car seats, much less cars, and I have 6 car seats, that cost me $1800 total.

EFF kids!

Agree 100% with you. However, I don't care about my kids enough to take the wallop of a loss on a Mazda5.

I grew up in a 1985 Toyota Van LE dual sunroof, engine under the driver.

My kids are lucky they have a 2012 Mazda 5/Lexus CT/MS3 to drive them around, and not a rickshaw or a tuk tuk.

Parents are killing their kids by leaving windows up on a hot day. My kids have it pretty good, considering.

They can live with the crappy safety of the Mazda5, otherwise they can walk or push their own $650 dual stroller themselves.

Most of the 3rd world kids don't even have car seats, much less cars, and I have 6 car seats, that cost me $1800 total.

EFF kids!

Ha! Well, you definitely gave me a chuckle. And yes, this is a first world problem. But I suppose when and if you can do something to improve safety, you do it.

Back