Mazda5 is Consumer Reports' Top Family Hauler for 2010

starlightmica

:
2007 Mazda5 Sport
Top Picks 2010

Family Hauler

The Mazda5 microvan offers a lot of practicality in a compact, affordable package. With three rows of seats and sliding rear side doors, it combines the convenience of a minivan with the maneuverability and stingy fuel economy24 mpg overallof a wagon. The interior is airy, with good fit and finish. Plus the Mazda5 is fun to drive, with a nimble feel and a comfortable ride. The addition of standard ESC for 2010 improved its emergency handling. If you need more room, consider the Honda Odyssey minivan. Price: $23,805.

I wonder why they give the price of the top of the line model, the GT? It sounds better to quote the MSRP of the Sport with manual transmission: $18,745.

And for what it's worth, I'm seeing the Sport with manual offered at $16,500 in the St. Louis area, after rebate and without 0% financing.

Indeed. We were cross-shopping Honda Fits (yeah, I know, but what they have in common is that they both hold a 30" dog crate). A Fit Sport is $17'ish, of course +fuel economy, but doesn't have auto climate control, 4-wheel disk brakes, a seat height adjuster (USDM), and doesn't have near the NVH control of the Mazda5.

My point isn't necessarily that people cross-shop these, or that one's a good substitute for the other. It's only that, by Fit pricing standards, it's remarkable what Mazda includes at close to the same price point.

$17k for a Fit? In Canada a Fit starts from $14k while the Mazda5 starts from $20.5k. Not exactly apples to apples. The Fit is supposed to be a subcompact with a taller body while the Mazda 5 is very much a compact with an extra seat and taller body.

US Market Fit *Sport* compared to a Mazda5 Sport, both $17k USD range or thereabouts.

No, they're not equivalent vehicles, I get that.

My point was that Mazda includes "more" for a similar price, surprisingly so IMO.

Yeah, a base Fit with steel rims, no cruise control, no steering wheel controls, etc. is a lot cheaper.

Indeed. We were cross-shopping Honda Fits (yeah, I know, but what they have in common is that they both hold a 30" dog crate).

hahahahahaha...we noticed that too. It's amazing what both vehicles are designed to hold for their size.

It'll be interesting if this results in any sales increase... since Mazda doesn't really advertise the 5 on its own.

US Market Fit *Sport* compared to a Mazda5 Sport, both $17k USD range or thereabouts.

No, they're not equivalent vehicles, I get that.

My point was that Mazda includes "more" for a similar price, surprisingly so IMO.

Yeah, a base Fit with steel rims, no cruise control, no steering wheel controls, etc. is a lot cheaper.

Mazda got it right for limiting the number of trims. There are only 2 trims
we saw. The GT and the GS. And both are ' a lot of car for the money'.

In the case of the Honda, There are so many trims, the difference between the highest trim and the lowest trim is so great it creates a class distinction
amongst owners. Rich odyssey owner, Poor odyssey owner.. The former will
press a button on the remote to open their motorized sliding door. To the envy of the base model owner.

We are waiting for the MAZDA2 as our Mazda5 companion. It will be enteresting how they will package it. I hope they will not go the Honda way of making 'cheap' configuration.

Technically it's GS, GT, GT with Luxury Package, and GT with Luxury Package and NAVI. ;)

nice to see consumer reports agreeing with what many of us already knew - nothing like the M5 right now. Maybe this will bring more interest to the vehicle.

Back