Mazda5 Interior / Cargo Flexibility Photos

New (to me) B6ZE for the Miata. I had no hoist to unload it, so I improvised. Most of the stuff is back there to keep the motor from moving around on the 300 mile trip home. I wasn't sure how I was going to secure it, so instead I wedged it in with a bunch of old blankets and drop cloths...not ideal, but it worked.

20141128_143306_zps4de54d5b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141129_104817_zpse57df054.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I went through the whole thread but the only "campervan" pictures are gone. Did anybody manage to sleep comfortably in the 5? Do you have any pics? We traveled from NYC to Argentina in a small van, but can't really justify it now that we are back to living in a city. But we still like to do a roadtrip or two every year and the 5 could be a nice compromise. Thanks!

Ikea binge

2z5u4w6.jpg

Plenty of room

344yvt2.jpg

460 lbs of laminated particle board... and the suspension on the 5 barely notices.

2n83lab.jpg

13 ft. lengths of crown moulding - kinda like a scene from Back to the Future.

10f3sqh.jpg

Last edited:
I went through the whole thread but the only "campervan" pictures are gone. Did anybody manage to sleep comfortably in the 5? Do you have any pics? We traveled from NYC to Argentina in a small van, but can't really justify it now that we are back to living in a city. But we still like to do a roadtrip or two every year and the 5 could be a nice compromise. Thanks!

Go to post #1205 of this link~~~~>
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123748419-What-have-you-done-with-your-Mazda5-today&p=6204476&highlight=#post6204476

Last edited:
lol, "and the suspension barely notices".

Look, I love the 5 as much or more than the next guy, but you better knock on wood, homie.

I want a little van as I have dogs I want to remove second row entirely, for ease of entry and place for crates. Can u please advise, will I have a nice low flat cargo space? Thnx.

lol, "and the suspension barely notices".

Look, I love the 5 as much or more than the next guy, but you better knock on wood, homie.

He's fine... curb weight = 3457lbs, GVWR = 4572 lbs, which gives you about 1115 lbs for passengers and cargo. So 460 lbs + about 310 lbs for a couple passengers = 770 lbs, so it's not like the suspension is barely noticing but he's well within the GVWR... no need to knock on anything :)

And actually, the 460 lbs of cargo is pretty much the equivalent to adding two more adults (180 lbs & 130 lbs) and two kids (80 lbs and 80 lbs), which this thing is designed and marketed as being able to handle daily.

Last edited:
Needed to get my wife's MTB to the trailhead for a noon-time ride. Since she has the car set up to transport our 3 kids, I didn't want to mess up the seating plan. Bike fit in nicely with 3 of the 4 rear seats in place. The bike fork mount was one I made for our MTBing & hiking trip through CO & UT in 2002.

JMJ

Last edited:
I'm sure someone has done something like this before. I've been using this for about 4 weeks now.

I needed a way to keep my weekday load in place without it sliding between the mid-row seats or damaging them. I had a 1/2" x 24" x 48" piece of plywood in the garage and used a staple gun to tack on carpet runners to my new "cargo board". I also cut a carpet runner to protect the rear factory carpet. The cargo board can also be put on top of the folded mid-row seats for protection and to cover the gaps.

So simple and exactly what I needed. (yes)

EDIT: Arrrgh. Apparently images from my album on 247 aren't visible unless logged in. Even with everything in my profile set to "Everyone".

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm sure someone has done something like this before. I've been using this for about 4 weeks now.

I needed a way to keep my weekday load in place without it sliding between the mid-row seats or damaging them. I had a 1/2" x 24" x 48" piece of plywood in the garage and used a staple gun to tack on carpet runners to my new "cargo board". I also cut a carpet runner to protect the rear factory carpet. The cargo board can also be put on top of the folded mid-row seats for protection and to cover the gaps.

So simple and exactly what I needed.

This is awesome - good work and thanks for posting.

What would be pretty handy is having some flush-mount D rings at the corners to secure loads. Is that a carpet-runner or doormat type carpet you have stapled on, or just regular gray carpet?

I was thinking of something like this with a fork-mount for my wife's bike versus the "ventilated" plywood piece I have now.

JMJ

What would be pretty handy is having some flush-mount D rings at the corners to secure loads. Is that a carpet-runner or doormat type carpet you have stapled on, or just regular gray carpet?

I was thinking of something like this with a fork-mount for my wife's bike versus the "ventilated" plywood piece I have now.

JMJ

All of it is carpet runners cut to size. I bought three. Two for the board and one for the back area.

It would have likely been cheaper to buy carpet from a roll, but I didn't see a color I wanted at the Home Depot I went to.

Just as a follow up, I had to place some 1/4" MDF under the horizontal carpet piece that sits on top of the folded 3rd row seats.

The workday load was starting to crush the seat backers. (headshake

The Volvo wagon is disabled with a brake issue and I realize how small big looking 5 is in some areas...
Trying to pick up some shelving from Craigslist, the Volvo swallows 2m easy... try that in the Mazda *sigh

The Volvo wagon is disabled with a brake issue and I realize how small big looking 5 is in some areas...
Trying to pick up some shelving from Craigslist, the Volvo swallows 2m easy... try that in the Mazda *sigh

Yeah, I kinda wish the front passenger seat would fold flat like in my last car.

Back