Mazda5 HP increase

i'm glad nobody's told him where the oxy sensor is; you shouldn't butcher the 5 with this kind of crap.

there is a diode mod among the vw guys that they install in their map sensor to allow them to add a boost controller to the car.

it advances the timing and adds more fuel to give the HP increase. 5hp sounds about right. What do you people think a cold air intake does to the IAT sensor? It reads cold air and advances the timing...duh.. Same thing so just make sure you have decent 91+ gas. Not bad for $5, what do you people expect lol

On a 6.1l hemi their 36HP ebay claim is probobly accurate lol

If you put that on your car, you should be drivinga Honda Odessey instead. That is a HonDuh ricer mod. Total scam. It will hurt gas mileage and performance. You can get the same piece of s*** diode from radio shack, jus tlike they do. I can go get one and sell it to you for $4 if you want and still make a 3$ profit, LOLerblades

jeffmsp said:
it advances the timing and adds more fuel to give the HP increase. 5hp sounds about right. What do you people think a cold air intake does to the IAT sensor? It reads cold air and advances the timing...duh.. Same thing so just make sure you have decent 91+ gas. Not bad for $5, what do you people expect lol

On a 6.1l hemi their 36HP ebay claim is probobly accurate lol

It reads cold air because the air is colder, retard.

bad idea.... if ANYTHING its going to cause problems.

not to mention there is a REALLY good chance you would mess up the wiring to the 02 and cause a CEL. If you want something to "trick" the ecm get an SAFC.

That and 5 dollars is a bad price for something you could get from radio shack for 10 cents.

"Don't forget to install the Flux Capacitor too." (rlaugh)

I also throw in a handful of Dilithium Crystals into the tank at fillup, really boosts low rpm (lol2)

Like pluto316 mentioned, if the ECU thinks that the air that is being pulled into the engine is -30 degrees, it's going to try to balance your air/fuel ratio by dumping excess fuel in to keep up with it.

This is bad for several reasons.
1. You will be running pig rich constantly. This will greatly reduce the lifespan of your O2 sensors and catalytic converter. This will also reduce gas mileage significantly. And don't expect Mazda to cover that under warranty when they find out what you did.
2. This will add extra wear on your fuel pump, injectors, and so on.
3. I'm not certain about the Mazda5, but many new ECU's are so-called "learning" systems. The only way to combat the ECU from simply reverting to a stock tune is to either disconnect your batter every so often, or pulling the fuse to the ECU on occasion.
4. If you dump too much fuel, without actually having enough air to match it, you can lose power. If you don't, the ECU will be forced to adjust the timing, and you would likely (as mentioned) need to run premium fuel.

So, for what it's worth...I think it's a bad idea. There really is no such thing as cheap horsepower.

And as for it being just like a cold air intake, this is really nothing like a cold air intake. But it's a moot point really, as many fancy cold air intakes actually result in little to no true HP gains.

And as for it being just like a cold air intake, this is really nothing like a cold air intake. But it's a moot point really, as many fancy cold air intakes actually result in little to no true HP gains.

That may be true on a car as well designed as your s2000, but not so on alot of econo cars. Why because there stock intakes suck, or dont suck very well. I don't think its so much the relative "cold air" its more the drop in pumping losses. I have however heard of "N/a mods" on an s2000 causing a drop in power because the stock honda setup was better.

Ok, so what's a viable cost effective solution to produce more HP? I live near the Wasatch front (Rocky Mnts.) and climbing these mountains puts a hard-core strain on that little 4 banger. I have to turn off the a/c compressor when going up hills and if I leave it on my foot's almost all the way to the floor. It's like I can see the gas gauge moving!

Maybe I need a new car?

You could acutally buy a new CAI and maybe a better flowing exhaust. Pretty much you bought a minivan though, "Grand Touring" or not.

has anyone done a cone type air filter yet? i'd like to get a little intake sound like i had with my Focus. i don't want to hurt performance though. curious if there's anything made for the 5.

"Maybe I need a new car?"

did you take the 5 for a test drive before you bought it??(hand)

Last edited:
NYMZ5 said:
"Maybe I need a new car?"

did you take the 5 for a test drive before you bought it??(hand)
lol, yes I did. I actually drove the GT and the "T". Actually, horsepower aside, the GT was significantly quieter.

About the HP though, I was just looking for a way (cost effective) to get a little more horsepower out of it. It's not that bad really but it could be better.

I bought the "5" because there was nothing else even remotely close to it on the market. It's tiny, gets pretty fair gas mileage and the rear doors open/close like a minivan. Plus, it steers like no other vehicle I have ever owned. That is what Mazda must mean by Zoom Zoom because it feels so good to drive.

Back