mazda3 vs mazda6

Roxy25

I am thinking about getting a 3 I just wanted to know what you m6 owners think about the difference in driving for both only if you have driven both thanks. I know the 6 has more power but how does it handle etc....

This depends on what 3 and 6 you're looking at. A 6i doesn't have any more power than a 3S. A 3i is the least powerful, but only by a few hp. I prefer the 6 because for me, it's the perfect size. Room for 4-5 adults but not a tank. My 02 Altima was too big, my 3 was too small, but my 6 is perfect.

I was impressed with the 3's nimblness when I bought it, and it got even better when I upgraded wheels and tires. It cornered like it was on rails with 225 series tires on 17" wheels. It was a good looking car, but ended up being a little too small for what I needed, although it has more room than some of it's competition.

I think the 6i has a ride / handling characteristic that leans towards the soft side for comfort, although the ones I've driven handled fine. I've never driven a 6S. My MS6 handles wonderfully, but does have a choppy ride.

This depends on what 3 and 6 you're looking at. A 6i doesn't have any more power than a 3S. A 3i is the least powerful, but only by a few hp. I prefer the 6 because for me, it's the perfect size. Room for 4-5 adults but not a tank. My 02 Altima was too big, my 3 was too small, but my 6 is perfect.

I was impressed with the 3's nimblness when I bought it, and it got even better when I upgraded wheels and tires. It cornered like it was on rails with 225 series tires on 17" wheels. It was a good looking car, but ended up being a little too small for what I needed, although it has more room than some of it's competition.

I think the 6i has a ride / handling characteristic that leans towards the soft side for comfort, although the ones I've driven handled fine. I've never driven a 6S. My MS6 handles wonderfully, but does have a choppy ride.

O if I where to consider a mazda6 it would be the s series with 3.0 engine of course used.

my sister has a 3s hatchback, and i have a 6s. In my opinion.. you will be into the 6 a little bit more on the money, they get about the same gas mileage, the 6 has a lot more power, and more room for everything you need. And when you turn on the a/c you don't feel your horsepower disappear.

Go for the 6s... I had an 03 and LOVED it! I would still have her if it wasnt for my speed... had to upgrade.. but the 6 was super quick, especially if you get an intake on it.. lots of room and more features.. unless you want a little car.. then go for the 3.. but if I had the choice, 6 would take it, hands down!!! I live in vegas, had the air on all the time, full blast and no loss of power, ever!

Besides the spaciousness of the 6, I didn't take a liking to the 3s dash. I don't know why, but it just didn't suit me. I also didn't like the styling of the 3 Sedan, but the Hatch looks good. I've had 2 sixes, the first had a I4, and my new car has the V6. Just remember when you look at the 6s, is that there is 3 body styles. A sedan, A hatch (which looks very similar to the sedan), and a Wagon.

I had my CX-7 in twice, on different occasions I had one 3, then the 6, both base models, both auto transmissions.

The 4spd does NO favors for the m3, it has a huge dead spot after the first gear, I kept in in manual mode so it wouldn't feel SO power sapped, the m6's 5spd is better, but still has that dead spot, the m3 in the sedan form now has the 5spd so that should improve the dead spot.
The brakes on the m3 are better, just the feel of it was better, and so was the interior, the m6 is just too cheap inside, sure it has more padded surfaces but it's still really cheap inside, considering it's a step up, it wasn't a big enough step up, and it handles like a boat, compared to the m3 and m7.
It wallows too, the m3 doesn't have such a problem.
I even liked the gauges more on the m3, maybe because they're more attractive.
I was unimpressed by the m6, I'm awaiting the redesign.
Do you need the auto?
If not the ms3 sport is calling!

Last edited:
I was impressed by the 3s hatch myself. A Very quick and nimble car, I believe that it is faster than a 6i, and has the potential with a couple of bolt on mods to be faster than a 6s.

I traded an 05 3Hatch for my MS6. When I bought the 3, I also drove a 6s Hatch. It was for my wife, and she ended up with a 5! I liked the 6 a lot. More car, more powerful & the 6 hatch still had the carry space of the 3 hatch. The determining factor was that the 6's hatch mechanism reduced headroom in the back seat. This was not a problem in the 3 Hatch. I liked the looks of both. After We bought the 5, I came back & got the 3 for myself. That time, price was the factor and the 3 won out over the 6. I found the 3 excellent to drive & own, except in the snow. People commented on it all the time, all positive. The glovebox is so big you can put a laptop in it. My 6 barely fits the owner's manual. I only traded the 3 for the MS6 because of the obvious performance gain & AWD. If a 3 hatch and 6s hatch were side by side, money no object... it would be the 6 for me still. If you want economy & practicality the most, it's the 3 Hatch. If economy is your only concern, the 3i is the way to go.

They're all still available new, so my advise would be to go drive each on the same day at the dealership. Nobody says you have to buy a new one, and they may have used ones available too, or even find one for you.

Last edited:
Yeah that adds like 100 hp doesn't it? It's what all honda owners depend on too
Um, I didnt depend on it.. it gave it a few extra horses where you needed it most- on the take off and it sounded sick..

Thanks for the replies I test drove a 3 but I am still waiting to test a 6 I think the 3 is more in my price range. I also do not like the way the 6 dash looks it looks cheap IMO.

I would have to get auto not because I don't know how to drive stick but I live in Los Angeles traffic is horrible I would probably get annoyed with stick quickly. lol

hhmm... i guess ur a girl... anyways, i always feel that the 3 is better that the 6

3 = for girls
6 = for men

no offense just my opinion

hhmm... i guess ur a girl... anyways, i always feel that the 3 is better that the 6

3 = for girls
6 = for men

no offense just my opinion

I have a cutlass .........
I am only considering the 3 because its cheaper HAHAHAH , But I would not mind the 6 if i found one at the same price

Last edited:
Yup, just met one the other day. 04 6s, black, with turbo, exhaust, lowered, rims intake, eyelids, audio, etc. Great looking hatch, must haul ass.

Back