Mazda3 Key for my Protege

:
1999 Mazda Protege "Sport20" FS-ZE swap
I had Ken @ Protegegarage.com cut me a Mazda3 key for my Protege. Excellent and subtle upgrade over the dinky Protege key.

IMG_5074copy.jpg

Last edited:
a bit off topic... but my friend has a g35 coupe 6speed and it didn't come with an all-in-one key, because it was a manual (that's what the dealership had told him). So he got annoyed with that fact and bought a blank mazda remote and key and got the key engraved and than rewired and put in the remote from the g35 into the mazda key. He even went as far as to change the logo from mazda to infiniti. i'll take a picture the next time i see him. looks very pro!

nice man! I win still though!

zoom%20key.jpg

JCell said:
NICE

i have the same one, key and key chain, always catches attention :)
w3rd, hehe. Gotta have the BLING. That was THE 1st thing that I got for my car, heh.

How is that Compustar alarm system working for you? I need to get me a new system and I need some ideas for units with pagers. Ive heard some pretty good things about the Compustar line. What model do you have and how much did it cost? And where did you get it?

Also, where did you get that key from?

steve_protege said:
How is that Compustar alarm system working for you? I need to get me a new system and I need some ideas for units with pagers. Ive heard some pretty good things about the Compustar line. What model do you have and how much did it cost? And where did you get it?

from all my audio friends, they say the compustar has a way-way better range for the remote than viper's, but if you want an alarm aint nothing like a viper!!!

steve_protege said:

hey bro. This is Compustar 2WSSR (2-way spread spectrum remote pager). Its amazing! its range is 1.25-mile. Of course deppending on the structures around you (trees, buildings and s***).

Here's a little informative story for ya on this alarm system.
Unlike most of the alarm systems out there that operate on FM frequencies, this particular alarm system uses "Spread Spectrum" technology, which is being used in military telecommunications and it is very very hard trace & jam.

This alarm refreshes its frequencies every 20 minutes and therefore practically impossible to jam. It has all sorts of features. Also this alarm was specifically designed for cars with manual transmissions as you can have an option of remote start with it.

What comes with original package: 6-tone alarm syren (****** annoying...im in the market for single-tone right now), 2-way pager, 2-stage shock sensor/tilt sensor, sensitivity adjuster (or whatever u wanna call that, hehe).

Remote pager has following capabilities:
Door lock/unlock

2 auxilary inputs (you can hook up 2 auxilary modules to do whatever you want in the car and control through the remote pager...for example windows up/down as one module and whatever else you want, heh)

query (check status of the car (locked/unlocked/open trunk/car's running and few more things that I cant think of at the moment)

remote start (great feature! if you leave your car in a gear (manual transmissions) and try to start it, car will not start)

open trunk (yea protege's dont have remote open trunk to start, and thats where you can get a module for the trunk to open remotely and hook it up to one of the auxilary inputs)

panic button

valet mode (all sensors shut off)
passive mode (car will lock automatically after 10 seconds if the car is off and all doors are closed)

turbo timer (very very great option for boosted cars and its only 60 extra dollars as an option for the alarm system)

shock sensor (turn on/off shock sensor without turning on the valet mode)

remote mute (turn off beep and turn on vibrate mode and vise versa)

As far as the price. I paid 503 dollars with instalation 2 years ago.....(i can install pretty much everything, but when it comes to wiring big things like this, I don't wanna do anything with it, hehe), and I bought it at "Ultimate Sound & Security" shop close to me. They installed this alarm system for me.

Remote start is an option and costs 120-130 extra dollars, I believe.

p.s. The key I got from eBay, heh.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like features galore!! Someone else I talked to told me good things about Compustar. I didn't know that they were tranny specific though. I have an auto tranny so would you happen to know if that alarm (or another particular model) could work for me? It would be appreciated.

Also, I like the key.

DiS said:
hey bro. This is Compustar 2WSSR (2-way spread spectrum remote pager). Its amazing! its range is 1.25-mile. Of course deppending on the structures around you (trees, buildings and s***).

Here's a little informative story for ya on this alarm system.
Unlike most of the alarm systems out there that operate on FM frequencies, this particular alarm system uses "Spread Spectrum" technology, which is being used in military telecommunications and it is very very hard trace & jam.

This alarm refreshes its frequencies every 20 minutes and therefore practically impossible to jam. It has all sorts of features. Also this alarm was specifically designed for cars with manual transmissions as you can have an option of remote start with it.

What comes with original package: 6-tone alarm syren (****** annoying...im in the market for single-tone right now), 2-way pager, 2-stage shock sensor/tilt sensor, sensitivity adjuster (or whatever u wanna call that, hehe).

Remote pager has following capabilities:
Door lock/unlock

2 auxilary inputs (you can hook up 2 auxilary modules to do whatever you want in the car and control through the remote pager...for example windows up/down as one module and whatever else you want, heh)

query (check status of the car (locked/unlocked/open trunk/car's running and few more things that I cant think of at the moment)

remote start (great feature! if you leave your car in a gear (manual transmissions) and try to start it, car will not start)

open trunk (yea protege's dont have remote open trunk to start, and thats where you can get a module for the trunk to open remotely and hook it up to one of the auxilary inputs)

panic button

valet mode (all sensors shut off)
passive mode (car will lock automatically after 10 seconds if the car is off and all doors are closed)

turbo timer (very very great option for boosted cars and its only 60 extra dollars as an option for the alarm system)

shock sensor (turn on/off shock sensor without turning on the valet mode)

remote mute (turn off beep and turn on vibrate mode and vise versa)

As far as the price. I paid 575 dollars with instalation 3 years ago.....50 bucks for instalation, i believe(i can install pretty much everything, but when it comes to wiring big things like this, I don't wanna do anything with it, hehe), and I bought it at "Ultimate Sound & Security" shop close to me. They installed this alarm system for me.

Remote start is an option and costs 120-130 extra dollars, I believe.

p.s. The key I got from eBay, heh.

mickeyreategui said:
from all my audio friends, they say the compustar has a way-way better range for the remote than viper's, but if you want an alarm aint nothing like a viper!!!

Why would the alarm be good for audio? Exactly how much "better" is the Viper alarm?

steve_protege said:
Wow, sounds like features galore!! Someone else I talked to told me good things about Compustar. I didn't know that they were tranny specific though. I have an auto tranny so would you happen to know if that alarm (or another particular model) could work for me? It would be appreciated.

Also, I like the key.
it will absolutely work on your Protege. The only reason why I said it was designed with a thought of manual transmission cars, is only because it has this unique feature, heh. Otherwise, it will be flawless on auto transmission cars as well.

also here's a thread that I found on google, about people that talk about the price of Compustar 2WSSR.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95066

steve_protege said:
Why would the alarm be good for audio? Exactly how much "better" is the Viper alarm?
Im not a car alarm guy and I would also like to know what are the advantages of the top car alarm from viper comparing to Compustar. Seems like the Viper top alarm is Viper 5900 SST at least judging by the pricing. http://www.drdetailshop.com/V5900SST.htm

Few great things that Viper alarm 5900 SST has and compustar doesn't....
Responder alerts you when too far away to hear it, Failsafe Starter kill Built in, along with Remote Start Anti-grind (active/passive), Complete engine monitoring: Voltage or Tach, *Viper GPS Tracking System: ESP serial port. WOW they got GPS tracking compatible with the alarm system too.

btw!!!! here's The Compustar website http://compustar.com/security_with_remote_start.htm

2WSS-AS (alarm with remote start) is the same as mine and has same feature as mine, only LCD is blue, not green as mine.

Last edited:
steve_protege said:

i meant the audio installers i know, means they install alarms, audio, video!!! i don't know how much better the alarm is, that's just what they told me, but i do know that the range to unlock/lock, start the car for compustar is 10x better than the viper (well mine, but got it about 2.5yrs ago)

Update on my previous post.....I paid 476 for my CompuStar alarm and including instalation it was 503 dollars....just found receipt, heh.

Alright. Thanks for all the recommendations. Im thinking Im going to go with the Compustar alarm. Plus I would like to get me a pager of some sort so I know when my car is being tampered with. My last alarm didn't have one and I didn't know my wheels were being jacked off my car so yeah..... And I would imagine that the Compustar alarm is a little bit cheaper than the Viper alarm, right?

PlatinumMSP said:
try to open your doors with it on your MSP, it wont work, I had ken do the same thing with my key
which key are you reffering to? Mine works perfectly fine.

steve_protege said:
Alright. Thanks for all the recommendations. Im thinking Im going to go with the Compustar alarm. Plus I would like to get me a pager of some sort so I know when my car is being tampered with. My last alarm didn't have one and I didn't know my wheels were being jacked off my car so yeah..... And I would imagine that the Compustar alarm is a little bit cheaper than the Viper alarm, right?
yea seems like CompuStar is a bit cheaper (thumb) and still works wonders

Back